IDs for children

lig4us

We will be taking our grandchildren 11 and 13 on a cruise for the first time. We made sure to have their parents get them Passports and we have notarized permission forms from their parents. But how about photo IDs for ports? We usually leave our Passports in our safe and just take our drivers licenses and SS cards. We're mostly doing beaches so I don't want to take the Passports. We will be going ashore in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Roantan and Belize. Thanks!

Yes there are IDs available on the state level but I would NEVER let kids that young off the ship without me.

I agree! We plan on being with them on the ship and off. We're taking them because we want to spend time with them. Alone in a strange country would be way beyond my comfort level for them.

Yes there are IDs available on the state level but I would NEVER let kids that young off the ship without me.

Even when my kids were older the rule was we all went ashore together and re-boarded together, the only exception being NCL's private island.

I agree! We plan on being with them on the ship and off. We're taking them because we want to spend time with them. Alone in a strange country would be way beyond my comfort level for them.

Like someone else already said, they will be fine without ID since they are under 16. IF there were an issue, you could always have one person run back on the ship, get their Passports, and come back down, but it won't be necessary. We traveled with our kids every year when they were young.

Have a great cruise!!

I wasn't really thinking about getting off the ship but more about getting back on. For example one of them forgot something and needs to go back to the ship to get it - with an ID they can without GM or GP. Or GM and GP are shopping at the shops at the end of the pier or eating or whatever and kids are hot and tired and want to get back on the ship with an ID they can.

Also would be good to have until they get older to get a DL.

Just a suggestion - please don't attack.

Edited by TX Catty Cruiser

I wasn't really thinking about getting off the ship but more about getting back on. For example one of them forgot something and needs to go back to the ship to get it - with an ID they can without GM or GP. Or GM and GP are shopping at the shops at the end of the pier or eating or whatever and kids are hot and tired and want to get back on the ship with an ID they can.

Also would be good to have until they get older to get a DL.

Just a suggestion

I like the ID part, but I still would never let them get on or off the ship without me. If it's that important, then we all go. If it's not important, then we all wait. We always stay together.

I worry too much and am not about to be franticly looking for them when there's a possibility they could go missing and the ship is getting ready to leave. Some call me paranoid. I call me responsible [emoji6].

And I'm not attacking in any way. I just don't agree at all with letting kids that young out of my sight in a foreign port.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I think it's MORE important to have your passport with you when off the ship. If you miss it and need to fly to another destination you cannot without a passport. (Passport cards or other photo ids won't work for air travel for anyone.)

I never realized the ramification until my friend traveled and her spouse fell ill on the island and they needed to treat him there and fly him back to the states eventually. Had they not had passports, the wife couldn't have traveled via plane to be with him. I can't imagine missing the boat for some odd reason and not being able to get home without a major hassle.

Just make a few copies and store in various places as back up.

If they haven't already submitted for passports, have them get the passport card also for another $15. The PP card is about worthless for travel, but provides photo ID for this type of thing. At 11 and 13, this will bridge them until they get DLs. :eek:

Probably cheaper than a state ID, and no need to go through a process twice.

Oh, and very nice of you to take the grandkids on a cruise!

Edited by mikesteg

Because we have traveled in Europe so much we are in the habit of always taking our passports with us everywhere we go. We keep a copy of our pp in the ship's safe and register all our out of the country trips with the US State Dept's STEP program. Just in case.

I think it's MORE important to have your passport with you when off the ship. If you miss it and need to fly to another destination you cannot without a passport. (Passport cards or other photo ids won't work for air travel for anyone.)

I never realized the ramification until my friend traveled and her spouse fell ill on the island and they needed to treat him there and fly him back to the states eventually. Had they not had passports, the wife couldn't have traveled via plane to be with him. I can't imagine missing the boat for some odd reason and not being able to get home without a major hassle.

Just make a few copies and store in various places as back up.

This has been discussed so many times on here. Carnival will empty the contents of your safe and leave it with the Security members on the pier. It has been even witnessed by people on the ship.

I will always leave my Passport safe on the ship in case I misplace it or get robbed. I don't plan on ever missing the ship and therefore have no need to bring it ashore. I do have a real possibility though of having it go missing due to my own negligence, or bad luck. Therefore it stays on the ship where it is safe. If there is an emergency, I can call the ship (number in the FunTimes) and have them leave it if I end up in the hospital. Or if I lose/have it stolen and manage to miss the ship all at the same time, at least I will have my Passport and safe contents including credit cards if nothing else.

I realize there are people that disagree with me and that's OK. Nothing they say will convince me otherwise and I am not trying to change anyone else's opinion, just stating why I choose this way. Everyone can make up their own mind as to what risks they are willing to take and what outcomes they are most happy with.

A Passport is not required (generally speaking) for Caribbean cruises so you don't need to carry it for identification as long as you have a DL. I always have my Passport though as it's easier for me to produce when checking in and exiting the ship (at the Home Port) instead of DL, BC, and Marriage Certificate and for the "just in case" scenarios. It stays locked away in the safe for the duration for safekeeping.

Edited by firemanbobswife

This has been discussed so many times on here. Carnival will empty the contents of your safe and leave it with the Security members on the pier. It has been even witnessed by people on the ship.

I will always leave my Passport safe on the ship in case I misplace it or get robbed. I don't plan on ever missing the ship and therefore have no need to bring it ashore. I do have a real possibility though of having it go missing due to my own negligence, or bad luck. Therefore it stays on the ship where it is safe. If there is an emergency, I can call the ship (number in the FunTimes) and have them leave it if I end up in the hospital. Or if I lose/have it stolen and manage to miss the ship all at the same time, at least I will have my Passport and safe contents including credit cards if nothing else.

I realize there are people that disagree with me and that's OK. Nothing they say will convince me otherwise and I am not trying to change anyone else's opinion, just stating why I choose this way. Everyone can make up their own mind as to what risks they are willing to take and what outcomes they are most happy with.

A Passport is not required (generally speaking) for Caribbean cruises so you don't need to carry it for identification as long as you have a DL. I always have my Passport though as it's easier for me to produce when checking in and exiting the ship and for the "just in case" scenarios. It stays locked away in the safe for the duration for safekeeping.

I agree 100%.

A Passport is not required (generally speaking) for Caribbean cruises so you don't need to carry it for identification as long as you have a DL. I always have my Passport though as it's easier for me to produce when checking in and exiting the ship (at the Home Port) instead of DL, BC, and Marriage Certificate and for the "just in case" scenarios. It stays locked away in the safe for the duration for safekeeping.

Absolutely agree with this as it's what we do also.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I really appreciate them. We are really excited about taking them. It wasn't long ago that I was going through aggressive cancer treatments. They were old enough to understand what was going on and it was hard seeing them worry. So this cruise is a celebration. And it's been fun planning a cruise with kids. It's going to be very different than our quiet days on the Serenity deck

First, congrats on the fight against cancer - hoping that it's totally gone, but enjoy the celebration in the meantime.

Personally, I got passport cards for my kids - they are a total of $40 ($15 card + $25 execution fee), and good for 5 years. I wouldn't spend the extra on books, since I only see them going on this cruise or to Canada within the next 5 years. There is no higher form of ID than a passport.

I would also leave them in the room on outings. I believe the sail & sign cards have photo id's on the computer when scanned, so there should be no problem getting onboard afterwards.

First, congrats on the fight against cancer - hoping that it's totally gone, but enjoy the celebration in the meantime.

Personally, I got passport cards for my kids - they are a total of $40 ($15 card + $25 execution fee), and good for 5 years. I wouldn't spend the extra on books, since I only see them going on this cruise or to Canada within the next 5 years. There is no higher form of ID than a passport.

I would also leave them in the room on outings. I believe the sail & sign cards have photo id's on the computer when scanned, so there should be no problem getting onboard afterwards.

The ID is for the port entry. They do not scan the cards there and therefore require picture ID for people 16 and over.