INR Blood Testing on Princess

mickatkirkby

On Emerald Princess 20th. August. I need weekly blood test for Warfarin levels. Princess have confirmed they can do it, there will be an initial consultation fee plus a fee for each test - but they cannot give me the cost. Anyone had the test done on board, did you get result same day? and what do they charge?

Thanks

I ended up needing 2 bloods tests done on a Cruise they were checking my Hemoglobin. The total was around $350 dollars with the consult fee for the tests. This was covered by insurance as this was not planed ahead of time. also results were same day if i recall it was a few hours. Not the same test but it should give you a ruff idea on costs.

Edited by mmckm

I had mine checked on two different ships (Coral and Royal) and the cost both times was right around $100. My experience on the Royal wasn't great though, they had to poke my fingers 4 times. Now I have my own monitor and I do it myself when I am traveling.

I should mention that I had a prescription from my doctor for the test and I never saw a doctor on the ship - only the nurse who performed the test.

Also, I got the results immediately.

Edited by Grover_

On Emerald Princess 20th. August. I need weekly blood test for Warfarin levels. Princess have confirmed they can do it, there will be an initial consultation fee plus a fee for each test - but they cannot give me the cost. Anyone had the test done on board, did you get result same day? and what do they charge?

Thanks

My friend has been taking Warfarin for 20 years. I Don't know if she even new they can test you on the ship. I guess she never had to. Good to know they can.

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO

I had mine checked on two different ships (Coral and Royal) and the cost both times was right around $100. My experience on the Royal wasn't great though, they had to poke my fingers 4 times. Now I have my own monitor and I do it myself when I am traveling.

I should mention that I had a prescription from my doctor for the test and I never saw a doctor on the ship - only the nurse who performed the test.

Also, I got the results immediately.

What test kit do you do it your self with. We have been testing my Dad INR at home for years.

just this week Alere said they are stopping at home service and sent us a return kit to send the machine and all the testing supples back. they said they were having issue with the at home product.

We are sad as this will now make my dad have to go get this test done.

Ours have worked great

I was wondering if there was other options for at home testing.

What test kit do you do it your self with. We have been testing my Dad INR at home for years.

just this week Alere said they are stopping at home service and sent us a return kit to send the machine and all the testing supples back. they said they were having issue with the at home product.

We are sad as this will now make my dad have to go get this test done.

Ours have worked great

I was wondering if there was other options for at home testing.

That is worth exploring if time permits.

I had a PT/INR done. I had orders which I gave to the receptionist. She called someone to do the test and results were instant. This cost $78. I sent the numbers by email and dosage was adjusted as needed. This was either on the Caribbean or Coral, I can't remember for sure. I gave them a list of all my prescriptions which made things even easier.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks

On the Emerald during June of this year, I had INR measured twice. The cost was $116 USD each time, including 3 components: a charge for "nurse/paramedic assessment", a charge for "prothrombin time (INR) measurement", and a charge for "testing supplies". Each time, the measurement was done from a single finger prick, and the result was provided within a few seconds. Excellent service, but in future, I would ask whether the "assessment" portion of the charge was necessary on 2nd or subsequent measurements.

John

Edited by CC Help Michell

I am on Xarelto which doesn't require the INR testing. My mother was on warfarin but even though she had a stable INR it failed for her. Maybe you could look at Xarelto as another option?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Many people don't want to put up with the side effects with Xarelto, Pradaxa or Eliquis. Gastric distress is common and takes months to get over for some. They all worsen GERD, Pradaxa being the worst and all three can cause issues with equilibrium. I've been on two and have refused Pradaxa because of the gastric side effects. Never had any issues with Coumadin. But, don't want to put up with the diet and my doctor doesn't want to operate a Coumadin clinic. If I go back to it, I'll do my own testing. It's ridiculously easy.

I assume the OP is new to Coumadin, or recently had surgery. The only times I had my INR checked that frequently was when I initially started Coumadin, and after coming off Lovenox and returning to Warfarin after any surgeries.

Good luck with the necessary testing.

I talked with my Dr. about switching to Xaralto. Due to additional health problems, primarily my heart, he felt Xaralto or Pradaxa would not be a good fit for me.

Edited by Treven

I assume the OP is new to Coumadin, or recently had surgery. The only times I had my INR checked that frequently was when I initially started Coumadin, and after coming off Lovenox and returning to Warfarin after any surgeries. ...

When I travel, my INR tends to go out-of-range fairly quickly -- presumably at least partially because of diet changes. I have read that this is a common problem for travelers who take Warfarin / Coumadin. Hence the need for blood tests (for some of us) aboard cruises of significant duration. It is very helpful that, on Princess and at least some other lines, INR measurements are available.

John

So happy to read this thread about INR testing, because my hubby started on Coumadin in June and we are taking a 15 nt Hawaii cruise in October.

Now I am wondering about renting an oxygen machine for him should he need it while on the ship....he doesn't need it every day or every night, but he has a lung issue & should have something available. Has anyone rented one from Princess or a medical supply place at embarkation port?

Medical Advice & Princess Fleet Medical: Information from those of us who have personal experience with certain medical issues aboard ship may be useful during cruise planning, e.g., in helping identify questions to ask. However, it is obviously important to consult with appropriate medical professionals about travel plans and to fax a "passenger health" form (completed, in part, by a doctor) to Princess Fleet Medical, 661-753-0121.

Princess wants to receive that form several weeks in advance of embarkation. The "pre-cruise checklist" says at least 45 days in advance, but I was advised to submit the form earlier than that.

"Traveling with oxygen" is one of the things specifically mentioned as requiring submission of the health form. I have been told by Princess that they also require (or at least want) advance-notice, via that form, of a need for onboard INR measurements. If INR determinations are needed, I would certainly want to check that the specific Princess ship really does have that capability.

John

Edited by J-D

When I travel, my INR tends to go out-of-range fairly quickly -- presumably at least partially because of diet changes. I have read that this is a common problem for travelers who take Warfarin / Coumadin. Hence the need for blood tests (for some of us) aboard cruises of significant duration. It is very helpful that, on Princess and at least some other lines, INR measurements are available.

John

Guess I'm fortunate then; I get my INR blood test the first (or there abouts) of each month. If I happen to have a cruise scheduled over the first of a month, I notify the Coumadin clinic that I'd be out of the country and that I'd get my blood work done upon my return, then again at the first of the next month to get back on schedule. Since I'm on Coumadin "for life", I stay on one set dosage even tho my results may fluctuate a little high or a little low. I'm not real good about not eating leafy green vegetables, especially broccoli.The anti-coag folks wants to constantly adjust my dosage but I refuse to keep changing.

Edited by Treven