Marina -- August 15 cruise -- LIVE

What A Market

I think that worked. A heck of a lot easier than uploading photos directly thru Cruise Critic. So here we are obviously pool side. Very quiet on embarkation day, but still some people working on their early stage sunburn. :)

Here is another photo of the pool side bar....

6a732dd11fa7f3708f3af743f3fa87ff.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Staying at the St. Ermins in Westminster. This is a fairly new Marriott Autograph property. I have platinum status with Marriott, so that definitely impacts my hotel selection process.

We stayed at St. Ermins after a TA two years ago. The hotel was also being used at that time as a post-cruise hotel.

We met a couple who had booked the hotel through Oceania who were upset to discover it was a Marriott. The husband was a platinum member who didn't need Oceania to get a good deal there. He was wondering why the desk staff hadn't alerted him to this platinum status but I imagine they didn't even think about it since he'd booked through O.

I guess next time he'll be more careful when choosing a hotel pre- or post-cruise.

He paid per person rates whereas our small group had paid with points.

He was wondering why the desk staff hadn't alerted him to this platinum status but I imagine they didn't even think about it since he'd booked through O.
All he had to do was show his Plat card when he checked in to receive his Plat benefits, including breakfast for two and an upgrade if available. The big unfortunate thing is he did not earn points for his stay as it was master billed to O.

I've stayed at St. Ermin's too, right after it became part of Marriott and enjoyed my stay and great location. I still prefer St. Pancras Renaissance as their Chambers Club is awesome. I'll be there next year prior to a Black Sea cruise on Marina.

You're right. The problem was that he didn't realize that the hotel was a Marriott. At the time (I don't know if this is still the case), it wasn't obvious that the hotel is as Marriott. I knew because we booked it precisely because it WAS a Marriott, but to others it wasn't evident at the time.

Had the marquee said "St. Ermin's Marriott" there wouldn't have been a problem.

Anyway, this happened more than 2 years ago and might not happen today.

I am looking forward to reading all of your updates! My husband and I are planning our first Oceania cruise for next February. After sailing many other cruise lines, I am especially excited to read your post about the Marina as that is the ship we have chosen.

Please tell Shannon that I am sending her my best wishes and continued prayers for her fight against the big C! My husband and I have both walked that road, and truly know the battle. Sending her our love!

Enjoy your trip with your extended family, and post when you can. Thank you for taking your time to tell us all about it!

Vicki

Good morning from Le Havre, France Cruise Critic fans. Beautiful, cloudless skies this morning. Our little crossing of the Channel last night was more noticeable than the last several I've done. Nothing significant. I was surprised though to hear the splashing of the bow waves all the way up on my lofty perch on Deck 12. This is the first time I've taken a cabin this far forward. Probably the main reason the movement was more noticeable.

Here's some shots of the suite.

16efcc15556d05cc9b5bacc8f0d9352a.jpg

Good morning from Barristas. My normal reporting station for early in the morning. Calm, calm seas and light winds as we make our way into the port of Zeebrugge for our day in Bruges. Just coming up on 7:30 and we are still at sea.

Yesterday was an amazing day exploring the cider, cheese, and calvados region of Normandy with Etienne. Etienne's company is La Compagnie Des Terriors. The tour entailed a bit f time in his van given our starting point in Le Havre. In fact, I was the very first cruise customer that had every booked with his one year old company. Normally, Etienne is guiding land based "foodies" look to tour the region.

Be right back

Ok, I'm back. Tried to help a fellow passenger get into ship's wifi for the first time. He had his security settings set in such a way that the ship's web server would not let him. Tried several adjustments in his Settings. No luck. Sent him to Computer Center, which is what I should have done in the first place. Blind leading the blind. Ha!

Anyway, back to yesterday's tour: So again great full day. Etienne is extremely passionate about the food and drink products this region produces. We visited several small farms to sample products all the time with Etienne explaining in detail everything about the production process.

If you've done all the primary tours available out of Le Havre, I can't recommend this tour more strongly. You don't need to be a complete foodie, but enjoying cheeses and ciders may help a bit. Both "grandmas" traveling with me had never tried a cider and loved it. The "kids" are already big cider drinkers. A very popular choice in the States if you don't (or can't ) drink beer. Beyond that, the scenery in the countryside was fabulous.

Dinner last night was appropriately Jacques. A great dinner. More on that latter.

Edited by What A Market

Let's talk about Jacques -- sometimes my favorite Specialty Restaurant. Why sometimes? Only because I've had meals in Red Ginger and Polo that on other cruises topped Jacques. I tend to rank the Specialty Restaurants independently on each cruise. As such, when I've worked my way thru all four I'll report back with my ranking.

Jacques, for me at least, was great. Service from the wine and food staff was excellent. I brought a bottle of wine from the room, which was served and cared for as if I had purchased from the wine list. That said, I also ordered a French red from the St. Emillion region. The wine steward asked if I knew the region, to which I replied "yes," but only because of a visit to Bordeaux with Oceania last summer. He then asked if I would be interested in a bottle from the region that was somewhat special. In fact, the only bottle on the ship from this particular Chateau. I asked for the price, recognizing that he may have been jesting with me a bit. Price: $1,100. I said I would split it with him. No compromise was reached, so if FDR is curious, it's still here waiting for you. :)

Most everyone worked their way thru several courses. Highlights: from the starters included pumpkin soup (wife loves), correctly made French onion soup, the pate, escargot. With six people we ended up with six different mains including the lobster, prime rib, the sole, the special pork chop (bad description, this is the famous breed of Spanish piggie), and the duck confit. I had the roast lamb -- great preparation and flavor. Highlights were probably my lamb, the prime rib, the duck and the sole. Least favorite was the pork.

If I had a nit, it would be with temp that some things came out at. Cook perfectly, but served only just warm.

Let's close with another highlight: The dessert special that night was a classic preparation of Crepes Suzette. The crepes was about the best I've ever had.

All-in, Jacques will prove to be stiff competition for the other three Specialty Restaurants.

Did you by chance see chocolate soufflé on their dessert menu? It is by far my favorite dessert and I am hoping to find it at Jacques! Knowing me I am pretty sure I would be ordering the lamb, as it is one of my favorites. If you have not guessed by now, I am truly looking forward to my dining experiences. I don't eat much these days so for one of the first times in my life I can go on a cruise and eat to my hearts content. I figure I will worry about any weight gain when I get back!!! Only hoping my clothes fit by the end of the cruise LOL truth be told, I chose this cruise line for the reputation of the quality of their food. I may not eat much, but what I do you consume I am hoping to be impressed by the quality.

Looking forward to meeting new passengers, and making new friends. My husband and I have not traveled just the two of us for probably 20 years or more. This sounds like the perfect cruise line to be able to share dinner tables along with meeting passengers over cocktails etc. we are doing a Caribbean itinerary, which I think maybe our first in probably the last 20 years.

We have primarily sailed to Bermuda, Canada/New England, Alaska, Europe, and even Mexico in the last 20 years. Plus we have had to cancel cruises a few times in the last three years. So we are definitely looking forward to this one!

We are still debating on whether or not to make a reservation for Red Ginger, as my husband is a rather picky eater, who does not eat fish and I want to make sure he would be fine dishes that he will like. Neither one of us eat sushi.

Might make the reservation for it, and after viewing the menu on the ship we can make our decision.

Hope you all are having a great day, can't wait for your next update!

Did you by chance see chocolate soufflé on their dessert menu? It is by far my favorite dessert and I am hoping to find it at Jacques! Knowing me I am pretty sure I would be ordering the lamb, as it is one of my favorites. If you have not guessed by now, I am truly looking forward to my dining experiences. I don't eat much these days so for one of the first times in my life I can go on a cruise and eat to my hearts content. I figure I will worry about any weight gain when I get back!!! Only hoping my clothes fit by the end of the cruise LOL truth be told, I chose this cruise line for the reputation of the quality of their food. I may not eat much, but what I do you consume I am hoping to be impressed by the quality.

Looking forward to meeting new passengers, and making new friends. My husband and I have not traveled just the two of us for probably 20 years or more. This sounds like the perfect cruise line to be able to share dinner tables along with meeting passengers over cocktails etc. we are doing a Caribbean itinerary, which I think maybe our first in probably the last 20 years.

We have primarily sailed to Bermuda, Canada/New England, Alaska, Europe, and even Mexico in the last 20 years. Plus we have had to cancel cruises a few times in the last three years. So we are definitely looking forward to this one!

We are still debating on whether or not to make a reservation for Red Ginger, as my husband is a rather picky eater, who does not eat fish and I want to make sure he would be fine dishes that he will like. Neither one of us eat sushi.

Might make the reservation for it, and after viewing the menu on the ship we can make our decision.

Hope you all are having a great day, can't wait for your next update!

I asked about the Chocolate Souffle in Jacques and the waiter looked at me like I had two heads. According to him they don't have this. They do have a chocolate mousse on the dessert menu.

We did have a Grand Mariner souffle in the main dining room that was very good.

I enjoyed the Iberico pork chop there. I have had it where I wasn't too impressed.

You can view the menu via Oceania's website (https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Menus/61699/Red-Ginger-Dinner-Menu.pdf).

Lots of non-seafood selection available. The duck and watermelon salad is really good. Also chicken, beef and pork dishes (satay, curry, teriyaki) are available and decent.

You can view the menu via Oceania's website (https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Menus/61699/Red-Ginger-Dinner-Menu.pdf).

Lots of non-seafood selection available. The duck and watermelon salad is really good. Also chicken, beef and pork dishes (satay, curry, teriyaki) are available and decent.

Thank you, I looked over the menu with my husband, and we have decided to go ahead and try the restaurant. Just hoping that some of the dishes are not going to be too spicy. Unfortunately neither one of us like curry, so that eliminated several of the dishes. One thing I know for sure is that neither one of us will starve!!!

I have to say that I am disappointed to hear that I will not find my chocolate soufflé on the ship! It is the chocolate one that I am looking for, a Grand Marnier one does not do it for me. My favorite food group, is M&Ms peanut, then plain, See's candy. Luckily for me I also love lobster, crab, and lamb LOL

I don't think you have to worry about the food at Red Ginger being too spicy.

We DO like it spicy, and we always have to ask for them to jazz it up for us. Even so, it's never been hot ENOUGH. But we prefer Szechuan ...

Asian fusion style doesn't really seek to burn out your gut. And as has been said there are plenty of non-fish choices.

Mura

I don't think you have to worry about the food at Red Ginger being too spicy.

We DO like it spicy, and we always have to ask for them to jazz it up for us. Even so, it's never been hot ENOUGH. But we prefer Szechuan ...

Asian fusion style doesn't really seek to burn out your gut. And as has been said there are plenty of non-fish choices.

Mura

Mura, that's great to know! I don't mind it slightly spicy however my husband on the other hand, will go into a Mexican restaurant and ask for the mild hot sauce. He is basically a meat and potatoes man, and other than salad nothing green. At this point in his life I don't think I'm going to change him. I will say this when we first met he would not eat Mexican food and now he eats it all the time!

My husband has always dreaded our evenings in Red Ginger to the point that he sometimes wants to cancel them. He avoids spicy foods in all forms.

You can ask for 'no spice' in items that have the little red chili pepper beside them on the menu. I do that with the duck and watermelon salad and it's wonderful.

Just back from Sirena with the 'new' Red Ginger and even DH had to admit that the food was better than any other venue on board. Fantastic steak teriyaki, braised short ribs - even the miso sea bass. IMO - the steaks there were better than Tuscan Steak.

Greetings everyone. Sorry for being away for a bit.

Did private tour in Bruges yesterday and took a guided bike tour of Antwerp today. More on all that later.

Vicki: ORV is correct. We only saw chocolate mousse on the menu. DD ordered and devoured. Agree with Mura as well, I can't recall eating anything in Red Ginger that was even close to spicy.

Speaking of food (all we seem to do here on this board or at least when we are behaving :) ), we have a reservation at La Reserve tonight. I think it's the Odyssey menu this evening. Picked both for the menu and for its date. When I say "picked for menu" that was mainly because it looked to be the easiest to adjust for DW's and DD's Coeliac condition. I will report back on the evening later. My one and only other experience at La Reserve a couple of years ago was excellent.

Weather continues to be warm. For some, very warm. That is all supposed to change sometime tomorrow afternoon when we are in Amsterdam. Expecting rain.

Here is a picture from Deck 14 of our dock location in Antwerp. Pretty much in the heart of the city.