Western or Southern Caribbean?

JulesJ1

We have only taken one cruise that was this last summer on Carnival Magic and had a great time in the Eastern Caribbean. Now we are trying to book one for next summer and can't decide between the Western or Southern Caribbean with Carnival. The Cozumel Plus looks very enticing with more time in the ports and one extra port but the Southern Caribbean also looks great. We are traveling with two teens. Just curious what a lot of people liked best about the Southern and Western Caribbean ??

They are both very good but my preference would be the southern. Very nice ports of call IMO - just has been one of our favorites. But to be fair we've only done both on RCI and I'm not familiar with Carnival's itinerary to offer a comparison. What are the two itineraries ports of call with Carnival?

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I prefer Southern. I can't explain why, except when it is 20 below zero, and a blizzard is blowing, I fantasize about being on a Southern cruise, not a Western cruise :) It may be because we found the Southern cruises to be warmer?? Also, we saw more marine wildlife on the Southern than on the Western.

What I liked best about the Western one we did was Roatan. Get out of Mahogany Bay and see the real island.

Carnival is doing something different I think in the Western ports though and spending more time in each port to allow for more time to explore. I think you get 10 hours or so in each port?? But Southern looks beautiful. Just not sure my teenage kids would like the Southern as much as the Western.

Thanks all. We are having a tough time deciding. Southern seems to get a lot of votes but the excursions for the western look more like what my kids would enjoy. With that being said they aren't very picky either. Will just be glad to be on vacation since they love the Magic. Ugh. Such a tough decision.

Aruba is the one stop on your Southern itinerary the boys would love ... so very many fun water sports for them there.

Curacao, not so much. They might enjoy seeing the old forts or going to the rain forest or going to Seaquarium Beach?

Edited by OCruisers

Thanks OCruisers. Very helpful. I have a boy and girl and she loves animals so maybe that will work. He loves the old forts too. Loved the ones in Puerto Rico. They are really not picky. Just glad to be there.

What excursions do your kids like to do? There's nothing wrong with the Western Caribbean. If you decide to do the Southern Caribbean, honestly, you are better off sailing out of San Juan so you can see many more islands. My favorite Southern Island as Curacao, Grenada and St. Lucia - but they are all VERY different from Eastern and Western ports of call. However, I can see how with kids they would like stuff like going cave swimming in the Western Caribbean. With Carnival, I would say, be choosy about the ship - go on Magic, Breeze, or Vista. Their older ships are not all that great anymore. Otherwise, seriously consider going on a RCCL ship - especially Oasis or Allure - these are the most amazing ships in existence and sometimes (like now) the prices are low.

Curacao has this amazing pontoon bridge at the port - it is really fun to watch it open and close. As far as shore excursions go, there is an Animal encounter and snorkel tour:

https://www.viator.com/tours/Curacao/Curacao-Shore-Excursion-Animal-Encounter-and-Snorkel-Tour/d725-6346PRTCURAESN

There is also an Ostrich farm and caves tour:

https://www.viator.com/tours/Curacao/Curacao-Shore-Excursion-Ostrich-Farm-and-Hato-Caves-Adventure/d725-3154PRTCUROFHA