Emergency number for ship?

First timer on RCI; leaving Thursday. DH and I both have aging mothers and we want to ensure we can be contacted in the event of an emergency at home. I've looked at my sea pass, my booking reservation and my cruise contract. I can't find a number for the ship (Grandeur). Should I just give out RCI's toll-free number? Thanks in advance!

Each ship has it's own direct number, they are on the RCI website.

A cell phone call is $2.50/minute, much cheaper than calling the ship directly.

Not correct. From the RCI Website Can I contact people back home from the ship -

The number given in Post number 2 is the number to call for "all" RCI ships. Once connected, the operator will ask you which ship you are wanting to contact. You need to have your credit card handy and the cabin number of the person you are calling.

We were on board the Explorer when we received an emergency call while we were out.When we returned the message was on the phone to come to the pursurs deck.When we went down they informed us of the call from home of my sisters condition.Believe me the pursurs office couldn't be more HELPFUL.If we needed to flight home they said that they would do the arranging and contacts that we would need.As a result we did not have to leave and were told by our family that this was an update.We were able to stay onboard for the last port and were home in time.Like I said the Pursurs crew were GREAT.

Make sure to test the number to make sure it is correct. A few years ago we cruised and needed to be reached "just in case."

I looked up the number, but tried it before we left just to make sure it worked. Guess what? It didn't. It went to some random business. Apparently, the cruise lines had changed the number.

We have cruised twice when we really needed to be reachable. Both times we signed up for WiFi and had no issue sending or receiving text, Email, or even FaceTime.

We were able to FaceTime with DIL and new born granddaughter just a few hour after birth and we were in the middle of the ocean, isn't technology great?

My husband had to contact me while I was cruising with my daughter, due to the death of my mother. I don't know what number he called, but I didn't receive a direct call from him. Guest Services called my cabin & told me there was an emergency at home & volunteered to put the call through. He told me he would put all the necessary calls through at no cost to me and offered his help in arranging flights home. They also waived the fee for internet usage. Actually, my upcoming cruise will mark the second year of her passing. Same ship, same itinerary & also just me & my daughter. Didn't plan it that way, it just happened. (Sorry for going off topic)

Edited by CMurph

If you have VOOM and a smart phone there are a number of VOIP apps you can use. I have OOMA and installed the app on my phone I was able to make and receive calls with no problem at all. You can use Skype on your phone too.

Then have them call the ship as a last resort

Edited by fredflint

If you have VOOM and a smart phone there are a number of VOIP apps you can use. I have OOMA and installed the app on my phone I was able to make and receive calls with no problem at all. You can use Skype on your phone too.

Then have them call the ship as a last resort

We have elderly parents in assisted living, and this is our plan as well. When we travel, our daughter becomes our emergency contact, and she can always get through to us.

When our daughter was in Europe last year, she would call me using Messenger, and the connection was very clear. Another chat client that works well is Google Hangouts.