3-4 night Carnival Cruises from Los Angeles area - Teen friendly??

sjhanksaz

Just looking into the cruises out of LA to take the kids on next summer.

I have heard that Carnival is the "party" cruise line.

We don't drink and not sure if just how party party the cruise will be. We have kids ages 12-18 and I don't want to have to worry about have a bad cruise due to a lot of drunks.

I guess my question is really what type of experience we would have. What would my kids hear and see?

My experience is that on any shorter cruise, during school break time, on any cruise line, you are going to experience a good number of young adults who are planning to party.

I have sailed many longer cruises on Carnival, and in my experience the longer the cruise, the fewer issues you see with heavy drinking.

We've many, many 3/4 day cruises out of LA in the last 20 years. Many of those with our kids. Travel during school breaks can be like a Vegas weekend. Travel off times and it can be calm. Usually the four day is calmer.

The advantage cruising 'with a bunch of drunks' is very quiet mornings ;). Especially the morning after Ensenada. :D

On the three day expect lots of bachelor and bachelorette parties.

Have the kids go to the club's the first night. What grade is your 18yo? If in high school have them bring their school ID. They might be able to join Club O2. Otherwise your 18yo can do everything onboard except drink and be on the Serenity deck.

Look on the California Coastal and Mexican Riviera boards for port info.

ETA--our oldest doesn't like to sail anymore since she aged out of the clubs.

Edited by SadieN

I'm heading out next Sunday for a 4-day cruise on the Imagination. I can report back as to what the atmosphere is like, but I won't be able to give any info on kids programs as we are 2 adults sailing.

The children will take part in their own activities whether on a 3 day or a longer cruise. The party atmosphere is more noticeable on the shorter cruises for sure! I honestly don't get the point of a 3 day cruise. By the time you get settled you are ready to get off the ship.

Edited by riffatsea

I took my daughters ages 14 and 16 during spring break on the 4 day inspiration cruise and it was totally fine. There were some younger people and the hot tubs were overflowing with young adults but I didn't see anyone behave badly. Yes it was more of a party atmosphere but we had a really good time and we are kind of old. Our kids had fun too.

We have brought our daughter who is 18 on several cruises out of Galveston with no problems. We always go in june and on a seven day. This year on the Breeze was the best for the ship is larger and had a lot of deck room. Yes I did see some drinking but it wasn't out of hand. Have fun.

If you want to drop your kids into the middle of Animal House go for it. Otherwise, stay far, far away.

I've been on numerous cruises and in my opinion there has never been cruise ships selling more alcohol than the short cruises out of Los Angeles. The drink servers are EVERYWHERE. At times you will see 10-15 poolside....and they are moving quickly. Young people, inexpensive, out of Los Angeles, California... AND PLEASE DONT CONSIDER IT DURING SUPERBOWL WEEKEND!!!!!...It's not all bad but it's probably what the 20 somethings would call a "fun" ship.