New to Regent

SandyKnits

An interesting paragraph from a recent Navigator review:

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=544433

"A little advice for people about the night before disembarkation. We received a notice that dress code for this night would be relaxed as it is understood people will have packed to disembark next morning and so you could be as comfortable as you wish. Unfortunately not the case. We were turned away from Compass Rose for wearing capris and collared shirt and had to then unpack our more formal clothes to have dinner. Has never happened to us cruising before on pre disembarkation night, so we were a little peeved"

Sounds like one of Regent's crew had forgotten what night it was..........or was maybe just having a bad day :rolleyes:

On the Voyager last year we were pretty much turfed out of the Observation lounge at 5.50pm because we were wearing running shoes. We had been chatting with another couple after an excursion and were given short thrift.

I think it's a shame that on the last evening of your cruise when it should be relaxing you are given orders by the fashion police.

Staff, (in my opinion) are not given the correct advice to guests and therefore are making high paying guests feel uncomfortable.

Also, why should a passenger HAVE to contact the manager, Mike Moore, and every other high-falutin hob nob in Regent to sort out a basic rule that has been there on all our cruises.

I really hope the executives from Regent really do read this board and can take action on this because it's piss poor management in my opinion.

On the Voyager last year we were pretty much turfed out of the Observation lounge at 5.50pm because we were wearing running shoes. We had been chatting with another couple after an excursion and were given short thrift.

I think it's a shame that on the last evening of your cruise when it should be relaxing you are given orders by the fashion police.

Staff, (in my opinion) are not given the correct advice to guests and therefore are making high paying guests feel uncomfortable.

Also, why should a passenger HAVE to contact the manager, Mike Moore, and every other high-falutin hob nob in Regent to sort out a basic rule that has been there on all our cruises.

I really hope the executives from Regent really do read this board and can take action on this because it's piss poor management in my opinion.

Where does it say anything about shoes in the dress code?

What about boat shoes? Are they acceptable? :D

What else were you wearing that day?

Where does it say anything about shoes in the dress code?

What about boat shoes? Are they acceptable? :D

What else were you wearing that day?

Again another story there, now correct me if i'm wrong (i'm sure someone will) but there was a deck, pretty sure it was the Observation deck and there were a few passengers that were were dressed (well club 1980's bo selecta, Kanye style silver pants and all?????) and walked into a upper deck cabin hahaha...just shows never judge a book. :)

We were regular, well i like to think so. :D

Well now i'm thinking about it...how would you deal with that situation?

I don't know how anyone else would deal with the situation, but I would simply tell whoever was giving me a hard time that the dress code had been relaxed, my other clothes are already packed, and if they have any issues with that to go speak with their boss...immediately.

That said, I usually try to dress acceptably even when the dress code has been 'relaxed' like that. Not saying any of the previous posters were pushing the boundaries, but I've see people really try and take advantage of this on the last night...swimwear (only once), gym wear (more often), etc. - I have no problem with nice shorts and a polo shirt - but gym shorts, flip-flops, and a Beavis and Butthead t-shirt might be pushing it just a bit...

And by the way, I agree that the burden shouldn't be on the passengers in this case - the crew should all know about the exceptions on the last night. This is just one of those little things that, taken separately, really aren't a problem...but cumulatively become a pain.

I don't know how anyone else would deal with the situation, but I would simply tell whoever was giving me a hard time that the dress code had been relaxed, my other clothes are already packed, and if they have any issues with that to go speak with their boss...immediately.

That said, I usually try to dress acceptably even when the dress code has been 'relaxed' like that. Not saying any of the previous posters were pushing the boundaries, but I've see people really try and take advantage of this on the last night...swimwear (only once), gym wear (more often), etc. - I have no problem with nice shorts and a polo shirt - but gym shorts, flip-flops, and a Beavis and Butthead t-shirt might be pushing it just a bit...

Ha ha, i like it!...i like to think the Regent passengers have a bit of a vibe in knowing the dress code but like your sytyle...(Beavis & Butthead?) well whatever takes your fancy! :D

One of my biggest complaints is when the dress code is very selectively enforced, and I have witnessed it over and over.

We had one cruise, where one "gentleman" wore a ripped pair of sweatpants, a white t-shirt with holes in it and flip-flops to dinner every night - we complained more than once and was told there was nothing that could be done. After we got home we told Regent corporate and was told that this must have been a contractor working on the internet but it wasn't - he was a passenger because I do not believe that the contractors were allowed to sit by the pool each and every ordering drinks or go on excursions.

We laugh about the "dress jeans", because we have seen people wear much worse and nothing happens, and yet others are reprimanded for the slightest infraction. One night in Prime 7 the four people at the table next to us looked as if they had just come down from the pool - they were seated without reprimand.

So I find it interesting when guests are notified that the dress code is relaxed, they seem to go out of their way to "bully the passenger" but on nights that there is a dress code, no one is told to change their clothes.

gnomie :)

Edited by gnomie1

One of my biggest complaints is when the dress code is very selectively enforced, and I have witnessed it over and over.

We had one cruise, where the "gentlemen" wore a ripped pair of sweatpants, a white t-shirt with holes in it and flip-flops to dinner every night - we complained more than once and was told there was nothing that could be done. After we got home we told Regent corporate and was told that this must have been a contractor working on the internet but it wasn't - he was a passenger because I do not believe that the contractors were allowed to sit by the pool all day ordering drinks.

We laugh about the "dress jeans", because we have seen people wear much worse and nothing happens, and yet others are reprimanded for the slightest infraction. One night in Prime 7 the four people at the table next to us looked as if they had just come down from the pool - they were seated without reprimand.

So I find it interesting when guests are notified that the dress code is relaxed, they seem to go out of their way to "bully the passenger" but on nights that there is a dress code, no one is told to change their clothes.

That is what we have found gnomie, there seems to be no rhyme or reason for the "dress code"

We had one cruise, where one "gentleman" wore a ripped pair of sweatpants, a white t-shirt with holes in it and flip-flops to dinner every night - we complained more than once and was told there was nothing that could be done. After we got home we told Regent corporate and was told that this must have been a contractor working on the internet but it wasn't - he was a passenger because I do not believe that the contractors were allowed to sit by the pool each and every ordering drinks or go on excursions.

I'm with you. This is exactly what I've seen on many, many cruises.

We have seen people walk into the dining room wearing shorts and being seated (not in accordance with any dress code) and others turned away with shorts. One night someone came in with short and a tank top and he was told to go change.

So I think a lot has to do with who is at the "gate." Some will say something and some will not. Not consistent and I think that's a problem.

This is a relevant part of the statement in the FAQ section on Regent's website regarding the dress code on board:

"Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime onboard or ashore, and consists of resort-style outfits. Casual wear, including shorts and jeans, is not appropriate after 6:00 pm, with the exception of the final evening of the cruise. On the night prior to disembarkation, guests may need to pack their luggage early due to morning flights the next day. With this in mind on the last night of every voyage we will relax the dress code for dinner to Casual."

Thus, it is clear that the Regent policy is that the evening dress code on the last evening is Casual, "including shorts and jeans" (and by reasonable extrapolation, capri pants on female passengers - capri pants on the male passengers might be a bit of a stretch, unless, of course, it was a charter cruise of Walmartians, whose attire can be more than a bit outré... ;)).

Despite what appears to be an unambiguous statement of corporate policy, I must agree that certain of the crew members seem to not be aware of it. On our TA in late 2014, my partner (in jeans and Regent polo shirt) and I (in dress shorts and Regent polo shirt) were at first denied entrance into CR for dinner on the last evening. I had a quiet but firm word with the person who denied us such entry, reminding him of the very clear Regent policy and offering to show him the policy on my tablet. He very reluctantly agreed to let us enter the restaurant and join our friends already seated but lamented that he would be reprimanded by his "boss", whoever that might have been. I suggested that he ask the said "boss" to come and chat with us about the matter. Oddly enough, the "boss" never came by our table for the chat.

It appears that Regent has some fairly simple training issues to consider to ensure that all of the staff at the front desk of CR understand the Regent policy regarding dress code on the last night of a cruise. Lordie, it ain't exactly rocket science (or even, for those who use that mysterious athletic court on the top deck, racquet science).

Edited by freddie

We are just off the Navigator in the Med where husband, daughters and I dressed nicely for dinner nightly (he wore slacks with long sleeve button downs and occasional ties, I and the girls had short cocktail type dresses), however we actually felt over dressed most nights. Some people dressed similar, a few sport coats, but frankly I was surprised at the amount of khakis and aloha shirts or polo shirts. The Setti Mari was similar dress - very few sport coats. I did not dine in Prime 7.

Last year we traveled on Seabourn to the Caribbean and I think the Caribbean lends itself to more casual dress. Like one of the prior posts, slacks and Tommy Bahama type shirts should be fine for Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by DrmnOfMaui

We are just off the Navigator in the Med where husband, daughters and I dressed nicely for dinner nightly (he wore slacks with long sleeve button downs and occasional ties, I and the girls had short cocktail type dresses), however we actually felt over dressed most nights. Some people dressed similar, a few sport coats, but frankly I was surprised at the amount of khakis and aloha shirts or polo shirts. The Setti Mari was similar dress - very few sport coats. I did not dine in Prime 7.

Last year we traveled on Seabourn to the Caribbean and I think the Caribbean lends itself to more casual dress. Like one of the prior posts, slacks and Tommy Bahama type shirts should be fine for Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It sounds like you and your family really looked great on your cruise. I have typically seen more sports coats than you did, during the summer men might feel it is too warm to wear them. As you know, slacks, Tommy Bahama shirts as well as polo shirts do meet Regent's dress code.

Hope that you and your family enjoyed your cruise!

P.S. We have found that the dress code is adhered too 99% of the time on our cruises.

Edited by Travelcat2