New to Regent

SandyKnits

Well, there were certainly women wearing Capri pants, I saw them with my own eyes. I could not tell you if they were considered "good enough" or not.

I can speak to what I wore - one evening a great pair of black, tailored Capri pants with a heel. In fact I wore the same pants last night with a kitten heel for a dinner with the CEO of one of our vendors.

Again as I mentioned I only saw 1x the dress code mentioned and that was when folks were in outdoor gear coming from port.

Do not feel self conscious. Dress for a nice restaurant minus the dark jeans, and you will be fine.

(And I also agree that some men dressed in dark jeans with a great shoe can look much sharper than someone in khakis and a polo, but if they allow that, then the debate ensues of what is the right level of dark and some may show up with jeans that would be more appropriate for baseball game.)

Well, there were certainly women wearing Capri pants, I saw them with my own eyes. I could not tell you if they were considered "good enough" or not.

I can speak to what I wore - one evening a great pair of black, tailored Capri pants with a heel. In fact I wore the same pants last night with a kitten heel for a dinner with the CEO of one of our vendors.

Again as I mentioned I only saw 1x the dress code mentioned and that was when folks were in outdoor gear coming from port.

Do not feel self conscious. Dress for a nice restaurant minus the dark jeans, and you will be fine.

(And I also agree that some men dressed in dark jeans with a great shoe can look much sharper than someone in khakis and a polo, but if they allow that, then the debate ensues of what is the right level of dark and some may show up with jeans that would be more appropriate for baseball game.)

Alaska cruises tend to be a little bit less dressy than others. Typically at dinner many passengers exceed the dress code (sports jackets, suits, etc. - especially in specialty restaurants). Women can get away with almost anything (except shorts and jeans).

Adhering to the dress code is a matter of respect (even though my DH looks great in jeans and a sports coat, he won't even pack jeans).:) It's good that marycruz cared enough to post.

Adhering to the dress code is a matter of respect (even though my DH looks great in jeans and a sports coat, he won't even pack jeans).:) It's good that marycruz cared enough to post.

I have a favorite pair of 'dressy' jeans, almost black, that look great with a gray sport coat and a pair of Ferragamos...wore them on the flight to a cruise once, and then didn't wear them again the entire cruise because, well, they're jeans. Seemed like a waste to have them with me. They haven't gone on a cruise with me since. :)

On port night's the dress code is in effect. Late "Regent" excursions cause the passengers to get back to the ship late so the dress code does not apply.

The bottom line is that the majority of Regent passengers embrace the dress code. A passenger can certainly find a way around the dress code but most do not.

In terms of capri's, they are not included in th dress code.

Please help me understand. Capris are not included in the dress code. Because they are not specifically mentioned as acceptable, that means they are not acceptable? If I were to wear them in the evening I would be considered disrespectful because I did not follow the dress code?

I have a favorite pair of 'dressy' jeans, almost black, that look great with a gray sport coat and a pair of Ferragamos...wore them on the flight to a cruise once, and then didn't wear them again the entire cruise because, well, they're jeans. Seemed like a waste to have them with me. They haven't gone on a cruise with me since. :)

Thanks for everyone's comments. I am concerned, though, if I come to the ship on the first night and it gets too late to change and I have cropped pants on or black jeans (ship is leaving fro NYC BTW) that they may say we cannot come into the Compass Rose restaurant. This rest of the cruise I have nice outfits to wear, of course.

DH and I have always worn to dinner whatever we wear to the ship and always look nice but I don't want to look outstanding compared to everyone else. Last cruise on Azamara most people were dressed for the first night but I did see some in jeans. We did not have jeans on that time but it would have been acceptable compared to people wearing blue jeans to dinner. Azamara is resort casual and I believe they do allow nice jeans.

However, if Regent says no jeans I guess we will have to wear something else to the ship in case luggage comes late.

Alaska cruises tend to be a little bit less dressy than others. Typically at dinner many passengers exceed the dress code (sports jackets, suits, etc. - especially in specialty restaurants). Women can get away with almost anything (except shorts and jeans).

Thanks. I've been a worry wart about all of this. We are going next month. What I don't understand is that someone said if you get back late from an excursion, as those people did who went to the bar, and they are told not to change clothes to go to dinner, why did the bartender comment on the dress code? Also, how do they know who came back late and who didn't? Then is it OK to walk around the ship after dinner wearing what they had on during their excursion?

Please help me understand. Capris are not included in the dress code. Because they are not specifically mentioned as acceptable, that means they are not acceptable? If I were to wear them in the evening I would be considered disrespectful because I did not follow the dress code?

IMO, respecting Regent's dress code is different than wearing something that would make a person disrespectful. The dress code for women includes "slacks". I suppose it depends upon how you define slacks. To me, slacks are at least ankle length. I have seen a couple of women wearing capris at dinner - a previous poster observed more than a "couple" of women wearing them. To me, the "capris look" is very casual rather than "elegant casual" (and I do wear capris -- just not to dinner).

Prior to adopting the current dress code, Regent customers had many debates about what having an "Elegant Casual" dress code would mean. The biggest fear was that it was a "slippery slope". In a way the fears were well founded. While many men still wear long sleeved shirts and slacks, there are a lot of polo shirts and Dockers (not bashing Dockers - my DH loves them). While it is just my opinion, when we dine in a specialty restaurant or attend the Captain's Reception where most people are dressed very nicely, there will be a few men wearing their polo shirts. Admittedly, the dress code for women is easier than for men. We can add a lovely top to just about anything and look fine.

As I was writing this, a new thought occurred to me. If a man was wearing capris length pants to dinner, how do you think they would look? I ask because some shorter men put on shorts that are about the same length as women's capris.

My DH wears slacks and a dress shirt every night. On special nights or when we dine in a specialty restaurants, he adds a sports jacket (definitely not required). I learned from our TA who sails on luxury ships a good portion of the year, to pack a few black pants and lots of tops. I do the black pants but also add a black long skirt and navy pants with an array of tops- some much fancier than others. IMO, Regent's dress code is the easiest to follow - especially after a few sailings on another luxury cruise line where every other night seemed to be "formal".

Anyway, dress in a way that makes you comfortable and adheres to the dress code and it will be fine.

I really wouldn't worry too much about the dress code as it's quite a casual affair and there are people that dress in all sorts of regalia.We mere mortals cannot say what is classy or gouache as it's up to the individual and their style ideas.

As others have said, there are sometimes poor folks that havn't had their luggage and have to wear what they have traveled in.

Pam.

The thing to remember is that this is a vacation. Relax. Enjoy it.

So far we've never had any problem with luggage arriving late. We're usually in our cabin, with luggage, by 2-3 o'clock or so, and the dress code doesn't kick in until 6:00. I'm usually in light slacks and a Tommy Bahama shirt - maybe more 'casual' than others but definitely not 'shorts and t-shirt' casual.

The dress code really is simple - don't let it bother you at all...

Thanks. I've been a worry wart about all of this. We are going next month. What I don't understand is that someone said if you get back late from an excursion, as those people did who went to the bar, and they are told not to change clothes to go to dinner, why did the bartender comment on the dress code? Also, how do they know who came back late and who didn't? Then is it OK to walk around the ship after dinner wearing what they had on during their excursion?

Don't worry - it will be fine. Regent excursions do not typically get back late (check your itinerary to see which ports, if any, have a late departure. When an excursion does come back late, it is communicated to the crew but it is possible that someone did not learn about it and could say something. I'd just let them know that your tour arrived back late (late generally means after the restaurants have begun serving dinner or after 6:30 p.m.)

If you are concerned about a late excursion, you could just put slacks and a blouse on the bed to quickly change into before going to a bar after dinner.

While passengers are not the "fashion police" as some people think, it is difficult to know which restaurant managers, bar managers or maître 'd will decide that you don't meet the dress code. It really isn't their fault -- they are directed to do what they do. We have spoken to the managers and they try to enforce the dress code as gently as possibly. For instance, if it turns 6:00 p.m., and you are in the bar having a drink, they kindly ask that when you finish your drink that you return to your cabin and dress for dinner. They do not embarrass you. In fact, they are typically nervous about saying anything.

Enjoy your cruise and please report back to the Regent board and let us know how it goes. I suspect that you won't even think about the dress code after the first day:)

P.S. When excursions are expected back really late, La Veranda will usually put out a buffet for returning passengers and the dress count definitely is thrown out the window at that time:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

Don't worry - it will be fine. Regent excursions do not typically get back late (check your itinerary to see which ports, if any, have a late departure. When an excursion does come back late, it is communicated to the crew but it is possible that someone did not learn about it and could say something. I'd just let them know that your tour arrived back late (late generally means after the restaurants have begun serving dinner or after 6:30 p.m.)

If you are concerned about a late excursion, you could just put slacks and a blouse on the bed to quickly change into before going to a bar after dinner.

While passengers are not the "fashion police" as some people think, it is difficult to know which restaurant managers, bar managers or maître 'd will decide that you don't meet the dress code. It really isn't their fault -- they are directed to do what they do. We have spoken to the managers and they try to enforce the dress code as gently as possibly. For instance, if it turns 6:00 p.m., and you are in the bar having a drink, they kindly ask that when you finish your drink that you return to your cabin and dress for dinner. They do not embarrass you. In fact, they are typically nervous about saying anything.

Enjoy your cruise and please report back to the Regent board and let us know how it goes. I suspect that you won't even think about the dress code after the first day:)

P.S. When excursions are expected back really late, La Veranda will usually put out a buffet for returning passengers and the dress count definitely is thrown out the window at that time:-)

I will report back when we return. It will be interesting to see what happens and I'm sure we will have a great time on the Mariner!

As far as capris, I would not wear them to my office as I think they are too casual, even if black or silk. If something is too casual for the office, it is too casual for dinner on Regent. ( I don't wear cocktail dresses to the office either, but that's because they are too formal.)

I have a pair of silk capris that I wear to dinner here, but not to fancy restaurants. And I don't take them on regent because they don't fit the dress code.

Having been in the fashion industry I am amazed at the fashionistas on ships and the so called fashion police. I guess GQ and Vogue and Milan have it all wrong. LOL. Oh I forgot Paris.

What I have seen on luxury lines I would not even go to the grocery store looking they way some are dressed.

Edited by Suite Travels

As far as capris, I would not wear them to my office as I think they are too casual, even if black or silk. If something is too casual for the office, it is too casual for dinner on Regent. ( I don't wear cocktail dresses to the office either, but that's because they are too formal.)

I have a pair of silk capris that I wear to dinner here, but not to fancy restaurants. And I don't take them on regent because they don't fit the dress code.

I never wore those to the office either because I thought it was unacceptable there but that was back then. I'll bet some people wear them to the office now and nobody would care. I've seen people going into church wearing shorts! We could never do that back in the day.

Having been in the fashion industry I am amazed at the fashionistas on ships and the so called fashion police. I guess GQ and Vogue and Milan have it all wrong. LOL. Oh I forgot Paris.

What I have seen on luxury lines I would not even go to the grocery store looking they way some are dressed.

One time someone wrote in here that they saw people coming to dinner looking like they were dressed to weed the garden or wash the car.

Is that what you mean?

One time someone wrote in here that they saw people coming to dinner looking like they were dressed to weed the garden or wash the car.

Is that what you mean?

No not that bad and it wasn't me that said that. Heck, I have not washed my own car since college. I hired Jay Leno to do that for me.:D. Weed the garden? Did that when I was a teenager mowing lawns for my neighbors and got into trouble because I was pulling out all the Cannabis weeds out next door.:eek:

Not sure why silk capris are not considered good enough for dining at Regent. Maybe my definition of "Capri" is a bit longer, to just above the ankle. For sure I would never wear "silk capris" for grocery shopping. Please, just use your common sense , dont be swayed by somebody's opinion of "fashion" or whats proper.

Not sure why silk capris are not considered good enough for dining at Regent. Maybe my definition of "Capri" is a bit longer, to just above the ankle. For sure I would never wear "silk capris" for grocery shopping. Please, just use your common sense , dont be swayed by somebody's opinion of "fashion" or whats proper.

Just above the ankle would be slacks or cigarette pants to me, depending on the cut. Capris are just below the knee. Just above ankle would definitely fit the dress code.

I never wore those to the office either because I thought it was unacceptable there but that was back then. I'll bet some people wear them to the office now and nobody would care. I've seen people going into church wearing shorts! We could never do that back in the day.

I see people wearing shorts to church too, but I would never do that. Not respectful of the place.

As far as office, I could wear anything I want since I am the boss, but I like to maintain a standard. And my patients appreciate that.

Just above the ankle would be slacks or cigarette pants to me, depending on the cut. Capris are just below the knee. Just above ankle would definitely fit the dress code.

On the East Coast what we call Capris, it seems you call cigarette pants. What I wore on the ship would be (very well tailored) cigarette pants.

My girlfriend is in the fashion industry in NYC, I am going to check with her.

And pants just below the knee, we would call a city short or a cropped pant. capris are just above the ankle.

On the East Coast what we call Capris, it seems you call cigarette pants. What I wore on the ship would be (very well tailored) cigarette pants.

My girlfriend is in the fashion industry in NYC, I am going to check with her.

This is what I think of when I think of capris. I just could not imagine that this would go against a suggested dress code. It's clear that capris mean different things to different people. Thanks gals, for the discussion.

Dont mean to be contentious but, is the length of women's pants defined anywhere on Regent's web page?

This is what I think of when I think of capris. I just could not imagine that this would go against a suggested dress code. It's clear that capris mean different things to different people. Thanks gals, for the discussion.

Trust me, you'l be fine with classy capris. I've worn them many times.