New to Regent

SandyKnits

No not that bad and it wasn't me that said that. Heck, I have not washed my own car since college. I hired Jay Leno to do that for me.:D. Weed the garden? Did that when I was a teenager mowing lawns for my neighbors and got into trouble because I was pulling out all the Cannabis weeds out next door.:eek:

Well that's funny! :D

No not that bad and it wasn't me that said that. Heck, I have not washed my own car since college. I hired Jay Leno to do that for me.:D. Weed the garden? Did that when I was a teenager mowing lawns for my neighbors and got into trouble because I was pulling out all the Cannabis weeds out next door.:eek:

That's hilarious!!!

Not sure why silk capris are not considered good enough for dining at Regent. Maybe my definition of "Capri" is a bit longer, to just above the ankle. For sure I would never wear "silk capris" for grocery shopping. Please, just use your common sense , dont be swayed by somebody's opinion of "fashion" or whats proper.

Because of your post, I looked up some definitions. What you described (capris going to your ankle) sounds perfectly fine. I don't know how tall you are but ankle length pants/capris on a tall women can be quite short.

One definition that I found was: "Capri pants (also known as Three quarter pants, capris, crop pants, pedal pushers,[1] clam-diggers,[2] flood pants, jams, highwaters, culottes, or toreador pants[3]) are pants that are longer than shorts but are not as long as trousers. They typically come down to between knee and calf ........."

When I looked up "slacks", it had a lot of strange definitions but also indicated that "trousers" are synonymous with "slacks" (for women). And, this is the best definition that I found:

1. "an outer garment covering the body from the waist to the ankles, with a separate part for each leg."

Since Regent also mentions "pant suits" in their dress code, I go with the assumption that whatever you are wearing on your legs should come to your ankle (pants, trousers, etc.).

fllukey, jeans discussions always go in circles and end up nowhere (IMHO). Regent specifically (and daily) states that jeans cannot be worn at dinner (or after 6:00 p.m. in any dining venue or lounge). Yes - they look good on some people. (especially with blazers or sports jackets). However, when I saw them on Oceania, I thought I had accidentally walked into a barnyard with the farmhands present.

The Regent dress code is really simple and easy to follow. In terms of capris (which I am currently wearing), I don't care if they are made out of silk or gold, if they don't come to my ankle, I don't wear them in the evening (unless I'm grocery shopping). In addition to being borderline in terms of the Regent dress code, it makes people look shorter than they already are (according to many men). Besides, I personally would not wear something where I could potentially be asked to return to my suite and change. Even though it is done politely, I would be extremely embarrassed.

Really not sure why this is becoming yet another dress code thread but do agree that capris is an issue that isn't brought up frequently.

Thank you, Travelcat. I sort of knew that. I was just trying to get the designer denim folks going. That can be fun. I do appreciate your barnyard reference.

:D :D ;) Appreciate your post!

Rachel, as you no doubt recall, Capt. McNeil wore kilts (and, IMO, the "look" was very sexy!)

Edited by Travelcat2

:D :D ;) Appreciate your post!

Rachel, as you no doubt recall, Capt. McNeil wore kilts (and, IMO, the "look" was very sexy!)

Totally agree! Which is why I would like George to get one, particularly since he has lost his excess weight and now has a very svelte figure. Nothing like a good looking man in a kilt.

Edited by RachelG

What about Kilts? I have seen them on formal nights on occasion. Definitely shorter than a Capri. LOL. Seriously, I have seen them in formal settings.

Yeah what about kilts? I know, I've seen them on every cruise I've been on that had formal nights

But it's not in Regent's dress code so now what? Can they wear it?

Yeah what about kilts? I know, I've seen them on every cruise I've been on that had formal nights

There are some exceptions to all luxury line dress codes that are not spelled such as formal military attire. As mentioned, a now retired captain from Regent did wear kilts on formal nights. This is not something you see on most cruises but is acceptable. Aside from the captain, I've seen this on Regent once or twice. If a person plans on wearing something other than what is covered in the dress code, I suggest they call Regent (or their TA first) just to check.

When my husband has formal nights in London he wears a kilt, can't see why it wouldn't be accepted as formal dress.

Cannny beat a handsome man in a kilt! :D

There are some exceptions to all luxury line dress codes that are not spelled such as formal military attire. As mentioned, a now retired captain from Regent did wear kilts on formal nights. This is not something you see on most cruises but is acceptable. Aside from the captain, I've seen this on Regent once or twice. If a person plans on wearing something other than what is covered in the dress code, I suggest they call Regent (or their TA first) just to check.

I was just being silly. I think kilts and Military dress uniforms look sharp. :o

I was just being silly. I think kilts and Military dress uniforms look sharp. :o

I agree! I'm guessing that the reason we don't see more kilts on the ships is because, at the moment, Regent passengers are 80% from North America and kilts have yet to catch on. Maybe we can get a new trend started (men's formal skirts).:D

I agree! I'm guessing that the reason we don't see more kilts on the ships is because, at the moment, Regent passengers are 80% from North America and kilts have yet to catch on. Maybe we can get a new trend started (men's formal skirts).:D

That shouldn't be too difficult as many Americans proudly claim to have Scottish genes.

Fijian and some African men wear skirts (amongst others). Middle Eastern men wear long dresses/caftans, etc. Not sure where this fits into the dress code but I expect that any culture's traditional formal wear would be acceptable on Regent out of respect (unless their traditional dress did not include any clothes:-)

And this is why we do room service on formal nights........Rick

We haven't experienced many "formal optional" night's on Regent (since the current dress code went into effect). Do the majority of the passengers dress up more than on regular night's. We just dress the way we would at specialty restaurants. If we didn't want to dress up, I'd go to Sette Mari. Do you order from the CR menu rather than the room service menu?

An interesting paragraph from a recent Navigator review:

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=544433

"A little advice for people about the night before disembarkation. We received a notice that dress code for this night would be relaxed as it is understood people will have packed to disembark next morning and so you could be as comfortable as you wish. Unfortunately not the case. We were turned away from Compass Rose for wearing capris and collared shirt and had to then unpack our more formal clothes to have dinner. Has never happened to us cruising before on pre disembarkation night, so we were a little peeved"

Sounds like one of Regent's crew had forgotten what night it was..........or was maybe just having a bad day :rolleyes:

We haven't experienced many "formal optional" night's on Regent (since the current dress code went into effect). Do the majority of the passengers dress up more than on regular night's. We just dress the way we would at specialty restaurants. If we didn't want to dress up, I'd go to Sette Mari. Do you order from the CR menu rather than the room service menu?

Don't they offer 'Formal Optional' nights on cruises longer than 16 nights? I thought there was a cutoff in the length of the cruise, but since we both still work we haven't been on a voyage longer than 12 nights.

Don't they offer 'Formal Optional' nights on cruises longer than 16 nights? I thought there was a cutoff in the length of the cruise, but since we both still work we haven't been on a voyage longer than 12 nights.

Yes - they do offer "Formal Optional" nights on cruises over 15 nights. Due to kitty issues we sail mostly 14 - 15 night cruises (we are definitely trying to get to Titanium level the hard way:). Even our upcoming 30 days on the Explorer (during which time our cats may divorce us) is really two cruises so there will be no formal night. I think that we have done 3-4 cruises that were long enough for "Formal Optional" and we found less than 50% of men wearing tuxedos. If we do another long cruise (none booked through the beginning of 2018), my DH would want to pack his "new" tuxedo.

An interesting paragraph from a recent Navigator review:

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=544433

"A little advice for people about the night before disembarkation. We received a notice that dress code for this night would be relaxed as it is understood people will have packed to disembark next morning and so you could be as comfortable as you wish. Unfortunately not the case. We were turned away from Compass Rose for wearing capris and collared shirt and had to then unpack our more formal clothes to have dinner. Has never happened to us cruising before on pre disembarkation night, so we were a little peeved"

Sounds like one of Regent's crew had forgotten what night it was..........or was maybe just having a bad day :rolleyes:

I would be mortified by this. This is unacceptable on so many levels and a terrible way to end a cruise.

If the notice said you could be as comfortable as you wish, to me that means the elegant casual is out the window. That means they didn't even need the collared shirts.

I would have had the Manager out there. I would not have accepted this. I wonder if Regent does this a lot because I keep reading about situations like this. We have been on over 65 cruises and have never been treated like this. I would never go on Regent again if this happened to us.

Of course, I am choosing to believe this poster without considered that something was miscommunicated, which could also be the case.

Edited by marycruz