On Board Credit - UK Passengers

FormbyLife

We booked a Cunard package with a TA (the one that finds a trail - no cc charge). I purchased OBC by phone on two dates in September. First time I spoke to Joshua (ext 2115) so tried to get him a few days later. He was either not in or on another line so spoke to Charlotte who did the deal. I had spoken to other agents who told me my card company would do the conversion not Cunard. It seems very hit and miss.

Regarding the "old" rate they use, I can only assume that they set the rate periodically and don't alter it on a daily or weekly basis. A few years ago I got a rate of about $1.80 to the pound when it had already dropped to around $1.55. Those were the days! It wasn't 50 years ago but within the last five or six years.

I also found it much quicker to get through early morning - 8.30 am.

Curiouser and curiouser. Having read the thread I phoned last Thursday for OBC for my cruise in April and got a rate of 1.53. I'm over the moon.

Phoned back today to get OBC for my mini cruise next weekend and was offered the current exchange rate!

I explained that I got 1.53 last week and she went off the ask her supervisor and confirmed that the exchange will be what my bank charges. Both bookings are through a TA.

I phoned yesterday morning, and after some perseverance, telling them a friend had just bought USD at the prepaid higher rate, they finally relented and sold me OBC at the better exchange rate.

I did phone on Wednesday too and was told it would be at my bank rate...I persevered a little claiming my friend had just bought at the preferential rate, so I couldn't understand why I could not get that too. The lady actually called me back 30 mins later much to my great surprise and said she had found what I was referring to (prepaid OBC) and quoted me a price in GBP. She said it was not listed on her computer under Gift OBC, but another OBC??!! But by then it was after 8pm and she could not process it as their system was in lockdown.:eek: So I called back Friday morning and I reiterated all this with lots of perseverance and after much referring back to the supervisor, I was finally asked how much OBC I wanted to buy.:rolleyes:

I will add this is the 4th time over 3 months that I have tried....it is scandalous that Cunard are being so inconsistent and downright untruthful about it all. If they don't want to offer that exchange rate then why don't they lower it to something that is still beneficial to Cruisers and doesn't hurt them so much??!!

Good luck, and keep persevering.

As background I booked through a TA on a saver rate with no Cunard loyalty status, and my husband was turned down on his Military OBC due to that saver rate fare, not that we knew what we were actually booking at the time, we were quoted a price for the cruise and just booked it....

What ship are you on ? .....I had the same problem ( September 1st & also last week November 2nd both on QM2) took me three days to get it rectified...Shoreside confirmed over the telephone before departure, however, once onboard Purser department didn't know anything about it .:mad:

Good job I had a print out of my latest bank statement and in the end it was all sorted. I'm away again on Tuesday Q.Vic so hope they get my next lot of pre purchased OBC sorted out this time.

So many other things to enjoy once onboard the ship, without wasting time at the front desk.;)

What ship are you on ? .....I had the same problem ( September 1st & also last week November 2nd both on QM2) took me three days to get it rectified...Shoreside confirmed over the telephone before departure, however, once onboard Purser department didn't know anything about it .:mad:

Good job I had a print out of my latest bank statement and in the end it was all sorted. I'm away again on Tuesday Q.Vic so hope they get my next lot of pre purchased OBC sorted out this time.

So many other things to enjoy once onboard the ship, without wasting time at the front desk.;)

I'm on QE at the moment. The first person asked me to go an get proof of my purchase (not impressed, but when I bought it I did ask Cunard to email me proof of purchase, they don't do receipts?! I went to my cabin to get the printed email). The next person was clearly a bit more savvy and didn't even need to see my proof, she could see the purchase and explained that it wasn't referred to as OBC but pre-paid gift credit - although she said, without me prompting, that from my point of view there isn't a difference and she apologised for the inconvenience. I waited a while as she went into the back office. When she came out she said that only the Events Manager can credit the account but it would be done that day and the manager would call me to confirm it was done. The next day, still no call, I went back to the desk, spoke to the same person and it had been done. Another apology for no message from the manager. It's not bee a very good customer experience. I'd expect better from Cunard.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm on Q Vic on Tuesday and intend to take this up with a senior manager if I have another problem.

You are not alone, several friends of mine who had also pre purchased OBC had a few days of unnecessary hassle , wasting time at the Purser's desk. ;)

Hi all I am currently on QE the same as Allie Ballie and had the exact same issue has took 8 days to sort yet still they ship have charged my card every day since I boarded . Been constantly at the purser desk and they tell me they can see the ore cruise credit but it needs to be authorised by the shore team. Fully sorted by a lovely financial manager called Gemma 8 days into voyage . Not a great experience though in between

• 2 weeks later...

I have just tried unsuccessfully................I was told that the 'loophole' was closed two weeks ago as much was being said on social media. The lady told me she was following instructions and couldn't deviate from that!

Oh well, worth trying for a 20 night voyage..............

Hello Cunarders,

We are making our first Cunard voyage over Christmas, I like a drink or two and with the falling GBP against the dollar (I know it has recovered a little) we need to get full value from any drinks deals.:D

I intend to ring the 0843 number this week and see about booking a wine package, probably 9 bottles of the Captains collection, it gives a price on Cunards web site, but reading posts on here, hopefully we may get a better deal.

Secondly it is now nearly a month since the last post, are there any updates on the pre-paid gift credit, after reading many posts on here I am still confused how the system actually works.:confused:

FWIW I feel that if we commit to give Cunard say an unrefunable $800 two weeks before we board the ship, then we should get a better rate than paying in $ on a day by day basis. TIA and Seasons Greetings All.:)

Hello Cunarders,

We are making our first Cunard voyage over Christmas, I like a drink or two and with the falling GBP against the dollar (I know it has recovered a little) we need to get full value from any drinks deals.:D

I intend to ring the 0843 number this week and see about booking a wine package, probably 9 bottles of the Captains collection, it gives a price on Cunards web site, but reading posts on here, hopefully we may get a better deal.

Secondly it is now nearly a month since the last post, are there any updates on the pre-paid gift credit, after reading many posts on here I am still confused how the system actually works.:confused:

FWIW I feel that if we commit to give Cunard say an unrefunable $800 two weeks before we board the ship, then we should get a better rate than paying in $ on a day by day basis. TIA and Seasons Greetings All.:)

They put an awful lot of effort into selling drink packages on board, outside lifts and in other public places. So you don't necessarily need to phone a premium rate 0843 number and hang on for eternity to get the best deals.

I applaud your thinking that paying up front should get a better deal. But this is a commercial organisation we're talking about here and their job is to maximise revenue and profit. Sadly, I don't hold out great hopes for your chances. But enjoy the cruise anyway and I hope it's the first of many on one of the Queens.

They put an awful lot of effort into selling drink packages on board, outside lifts and in other public places. So you don't necessarily need to phone a premium rate 0843 number and hang on for eternity to get the best deals.

I applaud your thinking that paying up front should get a better deal. But this is a commercial organisation we're talking about here and their job is to maximise revenue and profit. Sadly, I don't hold out great hopes for your chances. But enjoy the cruise anyway and I hope it's the first of many on one of the Queens.

There is no need to ring a premium number, there is a freephone number available.

Wine packages bought before boarding were being charged in £ at the favourable exchange rate, on a large package it's a substantial saving.

• 1 month later...