On Board Credit - UK Passengers

FormbyLife

Because the OBC perk has been withdrawn.

No, that's not the reason. I've been trying to get the OBC (paying in sterling) for weeks, with no luck. And minniecawdwell posted that she managed to get the wine package yesterday, after the OBC perk had been pulled. So whatever the reason is, it isn't that.

Hi everyone, my husband just rang Cunard and bought a wine package paying with a credit card in sterling, before paying he checked he was getting the good deal. He did not buy any obc as we did not think we needed any, but on reflection, l had forgotten that over half of our free obc goes on gratuities so it would probably be worth trying for some obc or possibly pre buying a coffee and soft drinks package . Does anyone know if it is okay to only buy a soft drinks package for one person from a cabin -- husband enjoys pre and post dinner drinks, I can't keep up with that much alcohol. Some ships insist each person per cabin have the soft drinks package, I have never bothered before but then I have never had to pay such high prices before for drinks either. Thanks

No, that's not the reason. I've been trying to get the OBC (paying in sterling) for weeks, with no luck. And minniecawdwell posted that she managed to get the wine package yesterday, after the OBC perk had been pulled. So whatever the reason is, it isn't that.

I believe the favourable obc for UK customers paying in £ has in fact now been pulled.

Edited by Pennbank

Hi Bell Boy,

I'm obviously doing something wrong, because I've just phoned Cunard (in the UK) re wine packages and been told exactly the same thing as when I tried (multiple times) to book OBC, namely that I would be billed in US dollars and that the conversion would be carried out by my card/bank, not by Cunard. No chance of paying in pounds sterling. So whatever I'm doing or asking, it doesn't work. I'm not too fussed, and I'm just going to drop it now. There may be deals on wine packages when we're on board, but if not I'll just buy as we go along. I do find it all very strange, though.

Hey ho

Sorry to bring this subject up again, Today Sunday 9th October I've just managed again ( 3rd time this year) to pre purchase Six bottles of wine (from the Captains Collection) AND PAID IN STERLING. the sum of £168.87p. The transaction took all of about 7 minutes and the agent who answered the telephone knew exactly what I wanted.

The price in sterling that I paid this afternoon was the same price I've been paying earlier this year.

I'm not too sure why some people are having problems. If you are a Brit living in the UK and already have a booking ref number for a future cruise, you just quote your ref number and tell the agent you would like to pre purchase a wine package from either one of the collections. Four bottles from the Captains cost £113.66p.....Six cost £168.87p.

No banks involved and no exchanged rates !

Good Luck to those who wish to try again :)

Sorry to bring this subject up again, Today Sunday 9th October I've just managed again ( 3rd time this year) to pre purchase Six bottles of wine (from the Captains Collection) AND PAID IN STERLING. the sum of £168.87p. The transaction took all of about 7 minutes and the agent who answered the telephone knew exactly what I wanted.

The price in sterling that I paid this afternoon was the same price I've been paying earlier this year.

I'm not too sure why some people are having problems. If you are a Brit living in the UK and already have a booking ref number for a future cruise, you just quote your ref number and tell the agent you would like to pre purchase a wine package from either one of the collections. Four bottles from the Captains cost £113.66p.....Six cost £168.87p.

No banks involved and no exchanged rates !

Good Luck to those who wish to try again :)

Did you try for the gifted obc again ?

Edited by Pennbank

Bell Boy, I'm new to Cunard so I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Did you ring the Customer Contact Centre on the 0843 number?

When you choose a package do you have to list the wines you want or can you chose the varieties once on board?

Many thanks,

Sella

No as I've managed ok, but my cousin did and got a refusal ;) ...It seems for the time being there is still a favourable rate for the wine packages ......However, there's sure to be a Cunard employee reading this who is about to alert their employer , so get in quickly.

Edited; ( reply for Pennbank)

Edited by Bell Boy

No as I've managed ok, but my cousin did and got a refusal ;) ...It seems for the time being there is still a favourable rate for the wine packages ......However, there's sure to be a Cunard employee reading this who is about to alert their employer , so get in quickly.

Edited; ( reply for Pennbank)

Many Thanks for replying.

Bell Boy, I'm new to Cunard so I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Did you ring the Customer Contact Centre on the 0843 number?

When you choose a package do you have to list the wines you want or can you chose the varieties once on board?

Many thanks,

Sella

The number I used was 0843 374 0000.

No you don't have to list the wines you want , you only tell the agent the 'Collection' you wish to buy i.e. Commodore collection or the Captains. You choose the variety once onboard, when you hand in one of the vouchers from your book of six or four. You can hand in two vouchers at the same time if you wish ...you might prefer to have a Red & White opened at the same time.

Edited to add; On the first evening at dinner mention to your Sommelier that you have pre ordered a wine package ...he/she will go and find your Vouchers ......Occasionally they may already be in your stateroom on embarkation, if not don't panic, they'll be in the Restaurant .

Edited by Bell Boy

Well, I tried, but as I suspected Cunard is now closed. I'll try again tomorrow.

The really frustrating bit was I Googled away trying to find their opening times but everything I tried (and their were many attempts) took me to their US office. So I thought I'd give them a ring. Bingo! "Thank you for calling Cunard etc etc, press 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5, then press 1 or 2. Finally - Cunard is closed. For opening times see cunard.co.uk," the site that tells you when the US offices are open!! Gee thanks.

Genuine thanks, Bell Boy for the heads up. I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow.

Sella

From the cunard.co.uk website -

For specific booking queries, our team of experts will be here to talk to you Monday - Friday 08:00 - 20:00 | Saturday 09:00 - 17:00 | Sunday 10:00 - 16:00 (with the exception of public holidays) on 0843 374 2224.

Hooray! Thanks, Bell Boy. I have this morning bought the 6 bottle Captain's Package for the price you quoted.

Thanks, too, Host Hattie for details of the opening times. Whenever I type in cunard.co.uk I'm redirected to cunard.com with all details "in American" including addresses, phone numbers and cruise prices. I don't know if my iPad thinks I'm in New York already, :)!

Wonderful! I've also just managed to prepurchase 6 bottles from the Captain's Collection for £168.87. It was really simple: I just aasked and was quoted that price in sterling straightaway. It all took less than five minutes and was very different from the innumerable times I've attempted to prepurchase OBC in recent weeks!

Thanks for the heads up, Bell Boy!

• 3 weeks later...

Would just like to say thanks to this thread for highlighting the savings of purchasing the wine package in advance. Rang the 0800 number at lunchtime today, on hold for no more than 1 minute, said I'd like to buy the 4 bottle captains wine package, agent immediately said a price of £113 and some pence. Once trip details and CC given, job done. Extremely painless and no mention of this being a 'gift'. Thanks all :)

Did first cruise on a TA in August, booked straight away for a B2B on Nov 5th - can't wait!

I'm booked on a NCL cruise March 2017 booked in January 2016. Apparently according to posts in the NCL forums the exchange rate you get when buying OBC is the rate at time of booking. Quids in for us :)

It may be the same for Cunard.

Would just like to say thanks to this thread for highlighting the savings of purchasing the wine package in advance. Rang the 0800 number at lunchtime today, on hold for no more than 1 minute, said I'd like to buy the 4 bottle captains wine package, agent immediately said a price of £113 and some pence. Once trip details and CC given, job done. Extremely painless and no mention of this being a 'gift'. Thanks all :)

Did first cruise on a TA in August, booked straight away for a B2B on Nov 5th - can't wait!

Thats not what Cunard Say

Any way its not possible to beat the system anymore with regards to the $1.54 to £ .

Q. Can I pre purchase on board spending money?

Share with your friends and family

Tweet

Yes, you can purchase up to a maximum amount of $1000pp ($1000pp per sector for World Cruise voyages) of gift credit (also known as on board spending money).

Please contact our Customer Contact Centre on 0843 374 0000 (Calls cost 3p per minute plus your telephone company’s network access charge) if you would like to purchase gift credit. Gift credit is charged in US dollars.

Please note that any unused amount is non refundable.

You may find the following question useful What can on board spending money be used against?

https://ask.cunard.com/help/fleet/onboard_credit

Edited by Pennbank

I may have missed the boat (no pun intended) but I've asked our cruise-only TA today to check the rate for buying OBC for our QE voyage next week.

High street travel agents are around £1=$1.1914 so I'll report what the Cunard rate comes back at.