On Board Credit - UK Passengers

FormbyLife

Just off QV on Saturday and paid for onboard spend on a credit card whilst onboard. The cost was $926.91/£789.18 = £1.175 per $1 making our spend a lot more than last year.

Mmmm......had a silly moment just relooked at my statement and although it was printed on 11/8 we did not leave until the 13th so of course it hasn't included the last day's spend. I'm sure we didn't get a further statement later so actually not sure of final bill so my figures above are not correct.....doh!

Just to reiterate what another poster said.......unspent obc will not be refunded. I think I would be tempted to at least purchase about 50% upfront and then take the gamble with the onboard rate.

Edited by Tangoqueen

We have quite a lot of OBC anyway but I might check my previous statements and see if it's worth buying more.

For those of you who have had the good rate, when did you book ?

The rate used to be based on booking date. I only booked 2 weeks ago so it might not be worth it.

I have tried this morning and been quoted £76 for $100. I only booked end of July so either it is tied to your booking date as it used to be or they have suddenly realised their mistake! I missed out in 2008 as well when GBP went from 2$ to $1.50! Still looking forward to seeing QM2 after the remodelling but will not be for some months yet so please keep it shipshape.:):)

Must be I booked direct with Cunard back in April 2015 and the exchange rate was approx 1.49.

Oh well, still going to have a great cruise [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'll feel better when I can see the transaction in my account - the correct amount has been taken but not showing details as yet - wish I'd taken the Cunard persons name so those who haven't been able to buy could contact her directly - mind you its 20mins before anyone answers the phone!

I booked last Monday for 27 Aug via an agent - think it's who you speak to rather than when you book

No they probably using the same black box and rules as the upgrade fairy:)

Just booked $300 of OBC for £194.85 = 1.5396 exchange rate for a cruise in November but booked in April.

:):):):)

Well I don't know how you guys are doing it....I've spoken to three different people at Cunard since yesterday, and they've all told me the same thing - they will sell me OBC in dollars, but won't quote me a price in pounds. Instead they say the conversion will be made at whatever rate my CC uses. I'm either missing something, or i'm just being unlucky!

Anyway, good for you if you've managed it - I wish I had your touch!

Well I don't know how you guys are doing it....I've spoken to three different people at Cunard since yesterday, and they've all told me the same thing - they will sell me OBC in dollars, but won't quote me a price in pounds. Instead they say the conversion will be made at whatever rate my CC uses. I'm either missing something, or i'm just being unlucky!

Anyway, good for you if you've managed it - I wish I had your touch!

Sorry your unable to do it, I'm unlucky too I got the same answer from Cunard twice [emoji20]

Just booked $300 of OBC for £194.85 = 1.5396 exchange rate for a cruise in November but booked in April.

:):):):)

I phoned and have done the same thing. She did say that your credit card people use their own rate so am waiting to see my statement.

By the way I phoned Southampton last night, and I phoned again this morning and got through straight way on both occasions.

Regards

Pat

Well I've had no luck either. Been speaking to my personal cruise agent at Carnival house today who has informed me that the exchange rate for OBC (either on a debit card or credit card) would be the rate the banks are using this week .:(

I booked in January for my trip that departs in two weeks (September 1st) At the time I had to pay a deposit and go on standby as I was informed very few cabins available and only just managed to get Britannia club cabin this last week.

Whilst I was on the phone I thought I would have a go at pre ordering a wine package before I depart ( I would usually arrange this once onboard) Not too sure if I managed to get a good deal or not , the price in $US would have been $175, I paid in sterling £113 (four bottles from the Captains collection)

Edited by Bell Boy

I phoned and have done the same thing. She did say that your credit card people use their own rate so am waiting to see my statement.

By the way I phoned Southampton last night, and I phoned again this morning and got through straight way on both occasions.

Regards

Pat

Have just checked my statement and have been charged £237.26 ie. $1.26 to the pound. So Cunard's rate is not the rate your credit card charge you. Oh well, at least I have paid for it now and it won't be added to my credit card in December with all the December spend you do for Christmas!!!!

Well I've had no luck either. Been speaking to

Whilst I was on the phone I thought I would have a go at pre ordering a wine package before I depart ( I would usually arrange this once onboard) Not too sure if I managed to get a good deal or not , the price in $US would have been $175, I paid in sterling £113 (four bottles from the Captains collection)

175/113 = 1.54 - looks like you got a good rate

Have just checked my statement and have been charged £237.26 ie. $1.26 to the pound. So Cunard's rate is not the rate your credit card charge you. Oh well, at least I have paid for it now and it won't be added to my credit card in December with all the December spend you do for Christmas!!!!

Mine was the same. As you say, at least it's prepaid now.

Never bought a wine package before because we prefer the flexibility of ordering what we want when we want, but this thread got me thinking. I didn't realise you saved the 15% service charge although my wife says she had heard this before but had forgotten. (I'll bet the wine stewards just love this :mad:)

Also, never bought on-board credit before either as there never seemed any point. I had heard of good exhange rates a number of years ago but not when we had a cruise approaching.

So, prompted by this thread, I gave Cunard a call a few minutes ago. (Got through in less than 5 mins)

I started with the wine package (thinking it would be a good idea to get them into the way of thinking of giving me a price in pounds, then adding the on-board credit to the sterling transaction) priced on the website at $645, I was given a price of £418.93:) (1.5396) Bingo! I'm on a winner.

"Is there anything else?" She asks.

"Yes please. $300 worth of on-board credit. How much will that be?"

(Keyboard clicking) "That will be a total of £8xx Is that OK?" I was so shocked I missed the exact figure.

I pointed out that £400+ for $300 didn't seem like such a good deal and she realised that something was wrong. Lots more clicking and confused noises then she asked if I minded being put on hold. When she came back she said the two transactions would need to go through seperately (I could see where this was heading). We put through the wine package, no problem. Then when she went to process the OBC I pointed out I still didn't have a price. "It will be at your credit card rate." (surprise, surprise!) So I simply said, "No thanks."

Maybe I'll get my wife to try again later. You never know.

As I said, I've never bought a wine package before but at these rates it does seem like a good deal. All the wines on the Commodore Package are priced at either $55 or $60 (I think there's one at $57) so if we compare a $60 bottle bought on board normally, plus 15% service charge, is $69. Settled through your bill as normal by credit card at whatever the rate is at the time (let's estimate 1.25) comes to £55.20. Compare that to 1/12th of the package price of £418.93 is £34.91. That's more than a £20 saving on each bottle!:eek: Or, if I've done my sums right, that's the same as being charged $37.95 onboard for that same $60 bottle ($37.95 +15%=$43.64 converted at 1.25 =£34.91)

Thanks for the heads-up, even if I didn't get the OBC.

Colin.

I'm glad it's worked out for you. I know a lot of people don't think it's very good value to get the wine package, but given then current Sterling rate being given by Cunard I think it's a winner at the moment.

One final thing regarding OBC, when I ordered it I asked how much $100 was, and the the order was placed as 6 x $100 rather than $600. Maybe this was why I got a good rate?

Edited by rakkor