Eurodam Flatscreen TV

Wendy-Europe

Hi

It seems that the TV in the cabins were replaced since my last Eurodam cruise and they have now interactive TV and no dvd-player anymore.

Does anybody know if the TV has an USB -in-slot, so I would be able to view some recorded movies from my own harddisc?

Thanks a lot

Wendy

The interactive flat screen TVs ( Samsung) on the Nieuw Amsterdam has HMDI ports behind the TV. They are difficult to reach but with a bit of effort one can connect a HDMI cable to it. Once the cable is connected, the next step is to change to the desired HDMI input. Since, the remote provided by the ship is very basic -- you would need to bring your own universal remote to be able to do this. Alternatively, if your smart phone supports IR then you can download a TV app which allows you to use your phone as the remote.

Note that once the TV is powered off/on it will default back to HAL's interactive TV.

Huh, thanks for the info....Are we Really sure about this? Does the TV "move" lol... (on an arm)

My large screen TV on the Nieuw Amsterdam was firmly attached to the wall. It was not going to move one bit.

The prior TV was on a shelf in the corner formed by the closet and the wall, over the desk. Moving it to the wall made for some additional "flat space" that came in handy. Not to mention it opened up several additional electric outlets! :) Great place to place things needing charging, and their chargers.

We were on the Eurodam and we looked all over for inputs. Maybe we didn't look hard enough, but I couldn't find a USB or HDMI. It also didn't move or swivel

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you so much for you help…

Seems like I have to look for other entertainment…

Call me stupid – but at Holland Americas ships with the DVD players I enjoyed to record a complete season of my favourite TV-series at home on DVD and binge watch them on sea day evenings… Most times I gave the DVDs (especially when there were my mother language) to a crew member with the same language…

We were on the Eurodam and we looked all over for inputs. Maybe we didn't look hard enough, but I couldn't find a USB or HDMI. It also didn't move or swivel

The USB/HDMI inputs are difficult to locate behind the TV. Even though the TV

barely budges there is enough clearance between the TV and the wall to slip a hand in to plug in the HDMI or USB cable.

Hi.

Someone stated that the TVs on the Nieuw Amsterdam are Samsung TVs. Can anybody confirm that this is also the brand of TV on the Eurodam?

The problem is that Holland America, like many cruise lines, is not committed to one particular brand. For quite awhile HAL used mostly LG but I remember Phillips at one time and now Samsung. I assume it's the lowest bidder situation. Doesn't help that even within a brand there's no guarantee that that the model in cabin xxx is the same model in xyz.

• 3 weeks later...
The interactive flat screen TVs ( Samsung) on the Nieuw Amsterdam has HMDI ports behind the TV. They are difficult to reach but with a bit of effort one can connect a HDMI cable to it. Once the cable is connected, the next step is to change to the desired HDMI input. Since, the remote provided by the ship is very basic -- you would need to bring your own universal remote to be able to do this. Alternatively, if your smart phone supports IR then you can download a TV app which allows you to use your phone as the remote.

Note that once the TV is powered off/on it will default back to HAL's interactive TV.

Just an update on this...thanks to stairMaster I brought along my Samsung remote and my travel usb sticks, loaded with movies, tv shows and music. I also brought a usb extension cable. Ports are/were located on the right side of the TV and it is a tight fit to reach, but very doable. They go from top to bottom USB, HDMI, HDMI. I also brought an extension cord were the receptacle is completely flat, this fit nicely into the socket behind the tv. The key is the remote, without being able to change inputs you are out of luck. I would imagine any universal remote would work as well, but having my own Samsung remote made it work like a charm. Even was able to access the sleep timer that didn't work off the remote provided by the ship.

This was on the Nieuw Amsterdam week of 8/20/16. Any questions let me know and I would be happy to try and answer.

• 1 month later...

To answer (also my own) question: the Eurodam has Samsung TV sets. Since the regular TV works via a TV native app, I'm pretty sure they all are, regardlesd of stateroom. Bring your own remote, you will need it. Their remote is very limited. HDMI is kind a hard to reach, but doable.

The proposed connections mentioned in this thread sound attainable but somewhat difficult, and require carrying even more electronic equipment than already needed for the phone and tablet. So, I am wondering just how necessary this is since we usually watch TV on a cruise for news and sports. We might put it on when dressing for dinner, and at the end of the day while getting ready for bed. I don't usually spend 2 hours watching a movie.

Can someone list what channels HAL carries at this time. We were last on HAL 2 years ago and they had CNN, ESPN, TBS and maybe 1 or 2 other channels.

Celebrity had quite a few more when we cruised them last summer.