Latest on the Holiday Inn Port of Miami

TSUmom

Does anyone know the latest on the Holiday Inn? I know it had been sold. We stayed one night pre cruise this past April and were thinking about booking it for one night again.

I'm sure if they are taking bookings you are okay.

curious to know what the latest is also.

Booked it few (3-5) years ago. Enjoyed the location, but hotel and management was a dump. I don't expect this property to be a JW Marriott, but do expect more than Super 8.

Thought I heard that the hotel was going through renovations and a change in management.

Any feedback will be welcome

I have had two previous stays there that were very good. The first time in 2009 was excellent. Last year was fine, but noticed some issues with fixtures in the washroom, but as always, the staff were attentive and I had no complaints.

What I have heard is that this hotel has been sold, and will be demolished in the future (don't know how soon, but think it wont be for a year or more, because of permits etc), and somewhere down the line, the property will become just another condo, or similar. I have read these thing here on CC, but don't ask me to link or quote. Don't know how.

Another issue that I keep hearing over and over on TripAdv, is that the hotel restaurant's service has gone down, and they no longer have a liquor license. I keep reading over and over that people are told that the liquor licence is coming, but have been reading that for months now.

All this is one reason why I cancelled my Sept booking this year, and chose to stay out near the airport for my pre cruise night.

Edited by SMSACE6

All this is one reason why I cancelled my Sept booking this year, and chose to stay out near the airport for my pre cruise night.

Please don't stay out by the airport.

September is our dead season and you should be able to get a fantastic downtown hotel for a great price!

Please don't stay out by the airport.

September is our dead season and you should be able to get a fantastic downtown hotel for a great price!

Thanks, but the the thing is that I arrive in Miami about 8pm the night before, and would just rather take a quick shuttle drive to a nearby hotel, and relax for the evening. I am an older person, with a slight mobility problem, so I to stick to the hotel generally, and don't venture out very far. I did get a good rate at the Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon, and downtown hotels were all much more cost, plus a taxi ride from the airport. So for me the extra cost of Miami downtown hotels, even though not much more, is not worth it for me, because I don't venture far.

As far as some one else has called Holiday Inn a dump, well that is their opinion. I stayed there twice and would hardly call it a dump. It was clean, and the staff was top notch. It gets good reviews on TripAdv.

I will actually be sad to see that Holiday Inn go, but that is the way things go today. Old things/buildings are not worth much to today's society, and I think that is a shame really.

Edited by SMSACE6

We also usually arrive late and just want to stay close to port. When we stayed this past April it was fine. I know they have been sold and so I am just curious if anyone had ideas when and what is going to be done to the hotel.

Was it a fancy place? No but the staff was nice and the room was clean although a bit worn. We also enjoyed having Bayside Marketplace right across the street where we grabbed an evening beverage. Plus the HoHo stops right at Bayside and we hopped on headed to south beach and caught the HoHo back. Would I stay there again? Yes for a night pre or post cruise.

Edited by TSUmom