Just got my Air Deviation Quote

ccbee

My air deviation is $1200 plus the $350 air deviation fee. We are flying non-stop American to Miami the day before cruise and British Airways Rome to Heathrow to Phoenix the day after the cruise. The international leg of the BA flight is in Premium Economy which was part of the cruise package for an extra $99 per person.

Do you think it is so much more because Oceania has better Group rates the day of the cruise?

I was a little surprised because maggie.1008 did a similar flight and she mentioned it was just $200 more than the deviation fees.

I guess it is still a good deal as our total air allowance was $800 and the flights show on BA as almost $2400 per person.

I was a little surprised because maggie.1008 did a similar flight and she mentioned it was just $200 more than the deviation fees.

I believe that it was later established that the $200 you mention was not an upcharge.

the OP had not realized that the $99 Premium Economy offer would be charged in each direction.

When we have received quotes with an up charge we keep going back and forth till we get one we like. Have never paid an up charge. One time they ended up giving us flights for no charge that three weeks earlier were $400pp. We are lucky in that we fly out of Toronto with many options. And Detroit is an option for us when it is included as departure city.

Mo

When are you flying? Could make a difference on the price. I know since we don't live in a gateway city we have to pay $99 each per person each way plus the $175 air deviation fee each plus then if we upgrade to premium economy that cost extra on us. I find the flights and carrier I want before I contact them for air deviation and ask then to see if they can get them for us. Sometimes O can beat the price sometimes not. I know we also had to pay extra for a flight out of Miami on a Sunday afternoon at the time we wanted($100 per person) but that was the only flight available unless I wanted to wait around the airport till 6:00 pm and get home at midnight.(NO thank you) You do not have to take the first air deviation the offer and only pay the $175 when you finally except the flights.

ALSO once O buys your ticket you can go to the airline itself and purchase premium economy if you don't need it on every legs of the trip be sure to check if the ticket they purchase can be upgraded. before you agree to anything.

Edited by Bobocasey

Have TA looking into it further. This was only BA flight available so requested deviation for this flight only. Checked BA site and price is the same for every day of the week. Told TA to go back and see if Oceania had some other suggestions /options for me.

My air deviation is $1200 plus the $350 air deviation fee. We are flying non-stop American to Miami the day before cruise and British Airways Rome to Heathrow to Phoenix the day after the cruise. The international leg of the BA flight is in Premium Economy which was part of the cruise package for an extra $99 per person.

Do you think it is so much more because Oceania has better Group rates the day of the cruise?

I guess it is still a good deal as our total air allowance was $800 and the flights show on BA as almost $2400 per person.

Take a look at alternate routing using the ITA matrix app and you'll get a better idea of comparative costs.

Mystery solved. Apparently if your deviation includes arriving a day early or leaving a day later, you lose the $99 Premium Economy promotion. Since there is only one British Airway flight from Rome to Phoenix and it leaves at 8:05am I do not have a choice but to stay an extra day. So now the question "Is PE on BA worth the extra $1200?" and I am leaning toward 'yes it is'. Just wanted to cover all bases to make sure I was getting the best deal.

Mystery solved. Apparently if your deviation includes arriving a day early or leaving a day later, you lose the $99 Premium Economy promotion.

Well that sucks

People may want to arrive earlier at least

very misleading promo

Mystery solved. Apparently if your deviation includes arriving a day early or leaving a day later, you lose the $99 Premium Economy promotion. Since there is only one British Airway flight from Rome to Phoenix and it leaves at 8:05am I do not have a choice but to stay an extra day. So now the question "Is PE on BA worth the extra $1200?" and I am leaning toward 'yes it is'. Just wanted to cover all bases to make sure I was getting the best deal.

Have you checked the AA website to see if it has milesaver business class awards available for the return? Sometimes with one ways and using the AA system you can buy the miles when they have a sale (as they do now) and pick up a cheap business class ticket. LHR has high taxes on FF tickets, but you might see if it prices out with the airport fees and the cost of buying miles.

Well, I just spent 9 hours in BA coach, and it's pretty lousy, very uncomfortable seat, hot cabin, lackadaisical service and poor food. The drinks were free though. Glad I ate a good meal at LHR before coming home.

Sure hope for your $1200 you get something better, because that's a lot to pay for a more comfortable seat with more space.

PS, British Air has recently substituted snack sized candy bars for the second meal on long haul flights. Actually it was better than the other meal.

On any flight over 4 hours getting more space..more anything is worth a lot

For me I have, through experience come up with a rule of thumb for my flying 0-4 hours coach just fine

4 to 7 hours Prem coach will do

8 to 11 hours Business, lie flat

12+ hours First class

So any way you can make the flifht more comfortable the better it is money well spent to arrive at your destination, well rested and well fed to start off your trip on the best of footings.

Many dont understand or appreciate what a long uncomfortable flight can do to their physical health and mental outlook.... The dont realize it can take several days to recover from a poor flight... This should always be a consideration for your travel... and the older you get the more important it becomes

When I flew for business, I was told to fly business or first because when the plane touched down they wanted me mentally sharp and ready to go to work with out delay... Could not do that riding in coach after 20 hours of flying ( SFO-SIN)

Ours air credit deviation credit is the same. I was thrilled with the amount. I did not think it would be that good.

Mystery solved. Apparently if your deviation includes arriving a day early or leaving a day later, you lose the $99 Premium Economy promotion. .

We are arriving in Barcelona for our cruise a day early and still have the $99 Premium Economy promotion. We paid the standard deviation fee of $350 for two and did not have to pay any additional upcharge.

For me I have, through experience come up with a rule of thumb for my flying 0-4 hours coach just fine

12+ hours First class

So any way you can make the flifht more comfortable the better it is money well spent to arrive at your destination, well rested and well fed to start off your trip on the best of footings.

Many dont understand or appreciate what a long uncomfortable flight can do to their physical health and mental outlook.... The dont realize it can take several days to recover from a poor flight... This should always be a consideration for your travel... and the older you get the more important it becomes

When I flew for business, I was told to fly business or first because when the plane touched down they wanted me mentally sharp and ready to go to work with out delay... Could not do that riding in coach after 20 hours of flying ( SFO-SIN)

I so agree with Dan on this one. In the old days when I used to travel an 8-hour flight for work, I had to arrive in London the next morning ready to go to the office right away. I changed clothes in the plane bathroom, pulling on nylons and heels (ugh) in that cramped space. My company let me fly Business Class because I could actually lie down and sleep, which was crucial. There's no sleeping when you are sitting up in coach.

But... when you are on vacation it's bit different, because you don't have to be sharp. I try to fly Business Class (IMO it's as good as First) on the way to the destination, because you are anticipating the fun and want to be ready to go as soon as you land. Time is of the essence if you are spending a day or two in your port city before sail away. On the way back, I've managed in Premium Economy and the equivalent, because I'm just going to get home and crash. I flew an 11-hour flight from Cape Town to Amsterdam on KLM's upgraded Economy and it was fine. In those cases you just need the extra leg room and ability to extend the seat back to some degree.

Here's my tip, for what it's worth: Always use a credit card that gives you air miles. Use it for EVERYTHING - gas, restaurants, utility bills, groceries, online purchases, car payments, cruises, shore excursions. You can rack up a business class seat pretty fast. Then you can take the cruise's air credit and book your own flight. You won't have to worry about multiple connections (luggage loss), same-day arrival, 6 am flights and all that other yucky stuff.

Edited by Cruise-y

We are arriving in Barcelona for our cruise a day early and still have the $99 Premium Economy promotion. We paid the standard deviation fee of $350 for two and did not have to pay any additional upcharge.

Well that makes it more interesting.

Seems to be some inconsistent answers coming from the air dept.

12+ hours First class

( SFO-SIN)

That's all well and good, but I'd rather fly economy than stay home.

Was upgraded once to premium economy and truly don't see what the fuss is about. I would pay for business upgrade but never for PE.

When I last flew Tokyo-Toronto, I never moved from my seat the entire flight. It helps to use the facilities prior to boarding and not swill too much free booze. Usually the wine is little more than vinegar in economy anyway. [emoji6]

Those onboard washrooms get pretty nasty the last half of a long flight, should really be segregated by sex.[emoji57]

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I so agree with Dan on this one. In the old days when I used to travel an 8-hour flight for work, I had to arrive in London the next morning ready to go to the office right away. I changed clothes in the plane bathroom, pulling on nylons and heels (ugh) in that cramped space. My company let me fly Business Class because I could actually lie down and sleep, which was crucial. There's no sleeping when you are sitting up in coach.

Here's my tip, for what it's worth: Always use a credit card that gives you air miles. Use it for EVERYTHING - gas, restaurants, utility bills, groceries, online purchases, car payments, cruises, shore excursions. You can rack up a business class seat pretty fast. Then you can take the cruise's air credit and book your own flight. You won't have to worry about multiple connections (luggage loss), same-day arrival, 6 am flights and all that other yucky stuff.

When you choose a credit card to earn miles thee are a lot of choices. There are the credit card from the airline like AA or UAL and then there are the any airline cards....and the Dollars back cards Which one is better or are they the same? NO.... The airlines sponsored affinity card is always the best and the Others are not even close. Why?

Lets take a real example flying from LAX to Frankfurt. The cost if purchased is about $5,100 . It can be had for 114,000 miles.

With the airlines card at 1 to 2 miles per dollar you spend That would be you have to spend 114,000 dollars to earn that flight.

Seem like a lot?

Well many of the "all airlines" cards dont give you miles they give you 1-2% of your purchases as credit/cash to purchase the ticket ffrom the airline.....

To get the same flight with these cards you have to spend between $700,000.00 and $1,400,000.00 7 to 14 times more costly to you than the straight airlines card...

In other words you could have earned 7 to 14 flights spending that amount on an airline card, rather than getting 1 flight on the "all airline" cards.

Be smart, spend wisely... and ask why would an airline allow a non airline company to give as good a deal or better than them.... ???????

When you choose a credit card to earn miles thee are a lot of choices. There are the credit card from the airline like AA or UAL and then there are the any airline cards....and the Dollars back cards Which one is better or are they the same? NO.... The airlines sponsored affinity card is always the best and the Others are not even close. Why?

Lets take a real example flying from LAX to Frankfurt. The cost if purchased is about $5,100 . It can be had for 114,000 miles.

With the airlines card at 1 to 2 miles per dollar you spend That would be you have to spend 114,000 dollars to earn that flight.

Seem like a lot?

Well many of the "all airlines" cards dont give you miles they give you 1-2% of your purchases as credit/cash to purchase the ticket ffrom the airline.....

To get the same flight with these cards you have to spend between $700,000.00 and $1,400,000.00 7 to 14 times more costly to you than the straight airlines card...

In other words you could have earned 7 to 14 flights spending that amount on an airline card, rather than getting 1 flight on the "all airline" cards.

Be smart, spend wisely... and ask why would an airline allow a non airline company to give as good a deal or better than them.... ???????

We use United's. SFO is an international hub and the Star Alliance partners pretty much cover the world (though I have found exceptions)

But... when you are on vacation it's bit different, because you don't have to be sharp. I try to fly Business Class (IMO it's as good as First) on the way to the destination, because you are anticipating the fun and want to be ready to go as soon as you land. Time is of the essence if you are spending a day or two in your port city before sail away. On the way back, I've managed in Premium Economy and the equivalent, because I'm just going to get home and crash. I flew an 11-hour flight from Cape Town to Amsterdam on KLM's upgraded Economy and it was fine. In those cases you just need the extra leg room and ability to extend the seat back to some degree.

I agree and do this too -- except for groceries. Don't want to contribute to the raising of prices on such an essential item.

I agree and do this too -- except for groceries. Don't want to contribute to the raising of prices on such an essential item.

Buying groceries in not going to raise the cost of food, Just as buying gas is not going to raise gas prices, or Paying car or home insurance... The price for a an apple or orange is not going to change because you use a credit card... The merchant pays any fee... and thats the cost of him doing business and he is happy because people who charge on a cc generally buy more.

They like credit cards for security, rapid payment and ease of accounting. Cash and checks are a big hassle to many merchants.

Its worth the 2% fee they are charged....

I pay everything taxes, insurance, phone gas, doctor, every thing and everyone who will accept a credit card....and if they dont accept credit cards then I dont do business with them.

I use a UAL card and A Marriott for hotels and split my charges Every year get a free night with marriott and a 2 for 1 UAL cupon for flights in the USA every year... Thats in addition to my miles and points Not being rich I need to work smarter to have the good things in life...

Dont waste your dollars... dont spend 1 dollar that you don't get back $1.25 in value I cant remember the last time I wrote a check or paid cash... $80 in cash will last me well over a year or more...