Cities to visit while in Civitavecchia

sunfan03

At Civitavecchia port, we're renting a car and will tour local area. Spending time in Rome post-cruse, so going to skip heading south to Rome.

Suggestions on places to visit?

We have Tarquinia on our list - any other notable places?

Be sure to visit both the Etruscan necropolis in Tarquinia (with outstanding painted tombs) AND the museum in town.

A bit further inland from Tarquinia is Viterbo, a pleasant town to spend a few hours in, with a well-preserved medieval center.

Or if you are really into the Etruscans, you could head in the other direction from Civitavecchia and visit another necropolis at Cerveteri.

At Civitavecchia port, we're renting a car and will tour local area. Spending time in Rome post-cruse, so going to skip heading south to Rome.

Suggestions on places to visit?

We have Tarquinia on our list - any other notable places?

Depends on how long you are there and how far you are willing to drive.

For our next visit, in June/July 2017, we're skipping Rome and spending a couple of nights in Orvieto and a couple of nights in Tivoli...

Last time there, we visited, among other places, Siena and Pitigliano...I absolutely LOVE Pitigliano...

2025018789_Pitigliano1(373x280).jpg.da92c7840e98b45216bd55125ba710cd.jpg

pitigliano2.jpg.a64a2cba18e9e5ad335cd7a7c1e6805e.jpg

Thanks cruisemom42!

Bruin Steve,

For this particular port, we're just there for the day.

We'll be back about a week later to explore the area more.

For the port day visit in Civitavecchia, what would you recommend?

Thanks cruisemom42!

Bruin Steve,

For this particular port, we're just there for the day.

We'll be back about a week later to explore the area more.

For the port day visit in Civitavecchia, what would you recommend?

For just a port day, Tarquinia is a good choice...it's very close to Civitavecchia...

Orvieto is about an hour and a half away each way via E840/SS1bis/SP138

Pitigliano is about an hour twenty north of Civitavecchia...or a little over an hour north of Tarquinia--but, trust me on this, it helps to have a good GPS with you...

But, if I just had a port day, I'd probably just go to Tarquinia...In fact, since we have a port day there between our back-to-back cruises, that just may be what we do with ours...

Edited by Bruin Steve

For just a port day, Tarquinia is a good choice...it's very close to Civitavecchia...

Orvieto is about an hour and a half away each way via E840/SS1bis/SP138

Pitigliano is about an hour twenty north of Civitavecchia...or a little over an hour north of Tarquinia--but, trust me on this, it helps to have a good GPS with you...

But, if I just had a port day, I'd probably just go to Tarquinia...In fact, since we have a port day there between our back-to-back cruises, that just may be what we do with ours...

Bruin, we will have one day between cruises in Civitavecchia but will not be renting a car. Do you know of any bus shuttle to Tarquinia? It sounds like a great choice.

Thanks. That helps. What do you think about the taxi service?

If you wanted to make the most of of a full day I might try and join a tour - check out 'Civitavecchia - a cruisers guide..." Website. They have some nice Etruscan tours which include e.g Tarquinia. Tarquinia old town, the museum and necropolis, plus lunch - if there's only two of you you're looking at around €140 Euros each person.

There are lots of really nice places close to Tarquinia.

I'd probably - if I'd never been to this area before - combine Tarquinia with something like Tuscania or incredible medival Viterbo. You won't see too many tourists there.

So if you'd want a taxi just there and back to Tarquinia - shouldn't be more than 80 euros. It's a 20 minute journey . You wouldn't need to tell the driver to wait for you to take you back. Easy enough to get any taxi in Tarquinia.

So if you'd want a taxi just there and back to Tarquinia - shouldn't be more than 80 euros. It's a 20 minute journey . You wouldn't need to tell the driver to wait for you to take you back. Easy enough to get any taxi in Tarquinia.

I'll check out those tours. Thanks

Do you have any suggestions on tour operators? I did find something on Viator. I also checked the website for Romecabs but did not see anything.

Do you have any suggestions on tour operators? I did find something on Viator. I also checked the website for Romecabs but did not see anything.

See my previous post - re: 'Civitavecchia - a Cruisers guide.'

They have some lovely combinations of places to see. Obviously if its just two of you, public transport to anywhere other than just Tarquinia will be problematic.

Too many lovely places close to civitavecchia.