Triva

MajorsWife

Karyn, I was thinking the EXACT words you typed:eek:.

And I agree with your advice too.

I have played trivia enough to know the women can be worse than

the men....in the "control" part of the game....and it is a game, right?

I try not to let it bother me anymore. But boy, some of the gals

are cut throat.

Darcie, sorry about your experience too. Sounds like the guy who

was in charge was a control freak himself:confused: points deducted for

being late??? Give me a break. And if you were in the restroom?

Did he penalize folks for that too?:rolleyes:

Lois, I was thinking as I was reading "YOUR" post, that after all, it's just a game! And it's for fun...and cruising is all about fun, and fun is what life's all about...simple huh?

I'd love to meet you on a cruise...we'd have FUN...

Karyn

::sigh:: Some people just don't get it. Oh well.

I hope no one thinks I'm too competitive but I've learned that the same trivia questions are repeated every third cruise on a given ship.So I book my cruises accordingly,every third week,and have a wonderful collection of mousepads.Sometimes though,they depict the same ship and one has to start playing poolside games to complete the collections.Be wary however of a change in cruise directors as this destroys the whole dynamic.

(HINT...on days in port, rather than taking an excursion,if you stay on board, the afternoon Darts competitions rarely have any competitors,and the odds of nailing down a coveted Celebrity keychain are excellent)I use them along with books removed from the library, to secure a dozen or so chairs, poolside every morning.

The best prize offered during the week is a bottle of Celebrity champagne...the prize in the poolside ring toss.I've measured the distance at eight feet,the diameter of the 8 gauge plastic ring is 5 inches.Last year I constructed a practice pit in my basement and I use both floor and ceiling fans to replicate the wind and usually have three martinis to recreate the roll of the ocean,while playing a pirated tape of house band Onyx for audio background consistancy.

Also in passing ...someone mentioned"cans of worms."Can you get them from room service,at the buffet,or the specialty restaurant?

Also in passing ...someone mentioned"cans of worms."Can you get them from room service,at the buffet,or the specialty restaurant?

I believe you would find them on the menu just under that side order of crow you just served up.:rolleyes: Fantastic repsonse:D :D :D

I like to play trivia games too. We sometimes go to Buffalo Willd Wings and play video trivia there. The kids enjoy it more than we do, but they don't really know any of the answers so it is really DH and I that end up playing and the kids push the buttons.

For my birthday DH and the Kids got me the Star Wars Trivial Pursuit DVD game. I thought I'd be pretty good at it since I love Star Wars, but my Son, either as a team member or Individual has won every time. So if they have a Star Wars trivia day, I'm brining him along to be on my team.

I do pretty well at Name That Tune.

So we'll have to get together and team up for one of the trivia games.

Hi Karyn:) maybe one day our paths will cross on the seas.

DrFun, are you teasing us about booking your cruises based

on the Trivia and what prizes they are having???:confused:

quote:

"I hope no one thinks I'm too competitive but I've learned that the same trivia questions are repeated every third cruise on a given ship.So I book my cruises accordingly,every third week,and have a wonderful collection of mousepads."

I book mine so they don't coincide when my boss wants to take a week;)

as we both can't be away at the same time.

I never thought about the trivia prizes........

I don't think it's nice to trivialize trivia.

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.

Vince Lombardi

If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?

Vince Lombardi

Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

C, I wonder what Vince is thinking about his Packers this year:rolleyes:

I think he's digging deeper:(

Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

I don't have the "competitive gene" in me, and never have........

I will leave it to those who do.

I do root for my teams though;)...oops we sort of got off topic here.

I use both floor and ceiling fans to replicate the wind and usually have three martinis to recreate the roll of the ocean,while playing a pirated tape of house band Onyx for audio background consistancy.

I'd pay cash money for that tape of Onyx!!

(great post)

I don't have the "competitive gene" in me, and never have........

I will leave it to those who do.

Unfortunately I do. It's tough to get an understanding of the psyche of the opposite side... just as some of us... are bothered by... here it comes.. the clothing issue, or for that unmentionable political topic.

Once you are on one side, the other side finds some way to insult, belittle, scold, ridicule... the people with a different view of the topic.

C, we must be Ying and Yang then;)

You are competitive huh?....just the opposite of me.

But to belittle someone? That is not my style either. I know what it

feels like to have feelings hurt. Not a very good feeling. And I would

hate to do it to someone else.

I don't mean just on an internet site either...in life as well.

Back to the trivia, I usually enjoying playing the game..but when

the others get "cut throat" it is not fun for me. Call me a wimp:rolleyes:

I just don't enjoy that part of it.

C, we must be Ying and Yang then;)

You are competitive huh?....just the opposite of me.

But to belittle someone? That is not my style either. I know what it

feels like to have feelings hurt. Not a very good feeling. And I would

hate to do it to someone else.

I don't mean just on an internet site either...in life as well.

Back to the trivia, I usually enjoying playing the game..but when

the others get "cut throat" it is not fun for me. Call me a wimp:rolleyes:

I just don't enjoy that part of it.

I don't think you would enjoy a bridge tournament...LOL :)

SS, I have never played bridge.

I guess the only time I am wanting to win while on the ship would be

at the Blackjack table. And then I am only in competition with the house!

I have to respond to Ekaj's attack on Bruin Steve.

First disclosure- I don't know either of them. Although I have found Bruin Steve's posts very informative over the past two or three years.

Second dislosure- my husband and I play trivia on the ships often and also usually win. We play for fun and the joy of showing ourselves how much we know- not the various trinkets we have accumulated over the years. My favorite trivia games were the ones conducted by Perry Grant on on our Connie cruise last year and half the fun was Perry's descriptions of the "amazing" prizes. What I wouldn't do for another Celebrity garment bag or a tap of Perry's magic wand!

I appreciated Bruin Steve's informative answer. I don't know why Ekaj found it necessary to attack him. I like to win too and like Steve I like to do it fair and square.

I like to win too and, like Steve, I like to do it fair and square.

I agree. Some play for enjoyment, some play to win, some just do it to pass the time. I don't think it's fun nor fair to lose when you know someone is cheating. I too have had disagreements with the answer when I know it's incorrect. I just point out to the staff that they should remove it from the quiz if it can be proven to be wrong.

Cruise staff who make up their own quizes are much better at accepting challenges than the ones who use the company quiz without a clue about trivia themselves.

I also like the group contests such as Guestures and Pictionary. These often award no prizes but might have two groups rather than teams competing.

Drew Pavlov was my favourite gamester before he became a CD.

I detest music trivia because too many people remember songs in two notes. I'm still humming 2 hours later trying to remember. I don't think its fair when people have a good ear and a good memory.:rolleyes:

For many who are competitive,yet claim winning isn't important, not losing is more important.Since they already assume that since they are superior, they should be victorious.

Losing is the unthinkable.

" When I play chess I expect to win because I know I am intellectually superior,and chess at the highest levels involves little chance or luck.When I lose,it is devastating, for I realize the possibility exists that I am not superior."------ Sir T. E. Kwiatkowski

Further, it would appear that the term "trivia" is a misnomer for many.

" When I play chess I expect to win because I know I am intellectually superior,and chess at the highest levels involves little chance or luck.When I lose,it is devastating, for I realize the possibility exists that I am not superior."------ Sir T. E. Kwiatkowski

The great chess players all have "quirks"... and some major issues... Bobby Fischer comes to mind.

I was a chess coach and I had a student who could play very well. He was so afraid of losing that he stopped playing and would only watch games. His life came to a very tragic end soon after.

Geeze, hard to understand how a thread about triva can become so heated. Its a game folks, put on by the cruise lines for entertainment purposes only. there has got to be more important topics that everyone can get upset about, but trivia, give me a break, who cares if the host has the wrong answer, who cares if some folks are percieved to be cheating and who cares wheather a player is a ringer and has won many times on game shows on Tv, I sure don"t.:)

Phil

You can play Star Wars Trivial Pursuit with me against my son. I loves to win and I am gracious looser.

If life your really only compete with yourself. If you know that in your heart you have given it your best, but did not come out the "Victor" then I say you are a winner for participating in the event not matter what it is. The vicorty come not in winning but in the trying.

there has got to be more important topics that everyone can get upset about,

Phil

You can't discuss important topics such as politics, religion or sex. That leaves trivia. (and dress code but some people believe that's trivial too.):D

Archived