Warning on using Carnival Gift Cards

DobbyMO

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I just wanted to warn fellow cruisers to be very careful buying Carnival Gift cards. I had done this in the past to take advantage of a 10% savings, i.e. pay $90 for a $100 gift card and it worked just fine. For example, in early December 2015, I bought 5 cards from Amazon and was able to apply them for full value..

The problem came when I bought 3 $100 cards directly from Amazon in late December 2015. In August 2016, when I tried to apply the cards towards a cruise, I found out that only one had the $100 balance still available. The other two cards had a zero balance.

I called Amazon (two calls and two hours later), they basically said to call Carnival. I then found the Carnival Gift Card site and called them on 866-270-1064. They said that the card had been used in April 2016. I told them that I did not use them at that time and someone else must have guessed the numbers (See below) and used the balance on the cards.

I was comforted by seeing one of the FAQ’s on the site stating this:

GIFT CARD TRANSACTION DISPUTES

Q: I didn't make that transaction - can the amount be credited back to my card?

A: Yes, we will process an adjustment to your card's total balance within 48 hours; customer service has access to review transactions with you? Please contact 1-866-270-1064.

We filed a complaint only to be told by Carnival that the above does not apply, (they never explained why) and that after talking to Accounting, they could do nothing. They suggested that we file a police report (which we will do) and that we were simply out the $200 (filing the police report would not change that). We are still fighting this with Carnival but are not holding our breath. Unfortunately, it is too late to file a dispute with our credit company as the initial purchase was back in December 2015. Carnival refuses to tell us who actually used our gift cards.

The flaw in the Gift Card system can be shown by looking at the Gift cards I received: The 5 cards I bought and applied in Early December 2015 had these numbers:

3036 8900 0979 XXXX

3036 8900 0980 XXXX

3036 8900 0980 XXXX

3036 8900 0981 XXXX

3036 8900 0981 XXXX

The 3 gift cards I purchased in Late 2015 had these numbers:

3036 8900 0980 XXXX

3036 8900 0982 XXXX

3036 8900 0983 XXXX

All the cards numbers were very close for the first 12 numbers. Basically only the last four numbers were random.

There was no Pin number associated with any of these cards. The lack of a Pin also prevented us from checking the balances on the Carnival Gift Card Site. It is obvious that “Bad Guys” would not have much trouble guessing what the card numbers could be and simply entering their guesses on a payment page until they hit the jackpot and found a card with a balance. They would then sell off the cards to an innocent person.

I know many people have used the cards and saved themselves a little money, but beware. It is very easy to steal the balances off these cards and when it happens to you, Carnival will not help you in the least. I have posted my challenge to John’s Facebook page as my last resort.

All the Carnival gift cards I have gotten through Kroger, AARP, Citibank and Verizon all have had pins that I had to scratch off on the card. Very strange that ones from Amazon have no pin. I would check again with Amazon about why they didn't have a pin number.

I paid for a cruise on 8/8/16 using a gift card (different than the ones that I am referring to above) with a Carnival PVP. I gave her the 16 digit number. The PIN on the card has not been scratched off, thus not requested.

The cards we received from Amazon were EGift cards. They had no PIN. When I went to redeem the three cards this Month, I was able to redeem one of the gift cards (with no Pin) on Carnival's site.

I cancelled that transaction when the other two cards showed zero balance. The next day I was able to book the cruise using another Gift Card (different than the three in question) with a PVP directly. I was not asked for the PIN.

I've used Carnival gift cards bought from multiple sources and was never required to provide a PIN when I redeemed them online for shore excursions or to apply to my cruise. I purchase 5 one time and the numbers were not sequential but each of the 5 cards was 17 numbers away from the one before. I wondered if they were that easy to guess and checked the balance of a card number in between the numbers I had received. It came up with a $100 and could have been applied to my account. Of course, I didn't do anything more than check the balance but it is a pretty big security flaw in their setup.

I really wish that they would allow you to apply the cards to your OBC account as soon as you received them. I do have a fear of showing up to the port and discovering that some of my card numbers have been compromised by lucky guessers.

Mark

I just purchased two gift cards from Citicards Sunday. The flaw if that they go in consecutive numbers and while there is a pin you don't need it to use it.

Today I applied two 500 cards to my balance. The card have the exact same number except the last two digits are 07 on one and 12 on the other.

I have never scratched my pins because the site(carnival.com) does not ask for a pin. Maybe they do on the phone but online they don't.

If I was a seedy person I bet I could use the 08-11 and find money on them.

Best thing to do it to use them right away if you are applying to a balance.

I just purchased two gift cards from Citicards Sunday. The flaw if that they go in consecutive numbers and while there is a pin you don't need it to use it.

Today I applied two 500 cards to my balance. The card have the exact same number except the last two digits are 07 on one and 12 on the other.

I have never scratched my pins because the site(carnival.com) does not ask for a pin. Maybe they do on the phone but online they don't.

If I was a seedy person I bet I could use the 08-11 and find money on them.

Best thing to do it to use them right away if you are applying to a balance.

The site wanted my pin #......

Just to make sure, I just went through a booking process two minutes ago. I was able to apply another gift card I had without using a PIN. This is the same exact experience I had when I actually booked a cruise and partially paid for it over the phone with a PVP on 8/8/16, no pin was needed.

Now, you do have to have a PIN to check your balance at Carnival GiftCard.com.

For all the people who have had zero problems in the past, I was just like you. It wasn't until my cards that should have had $100 on them but instead had Zero, was this a problem.

If you do have cards, get them applied to a balance ASAP.

If you find yourself in my shoes, do not expect any help from Carnival. When you bring it to their attention that they accepted a stolen card that you are the rightful owner of, they will simply say "To bad for you, not our problem"!

I really wish that they would allow you to apply the cards to your OBC account as soon as you received them. I do have a fear of showing up to the port and discovering that some of my card numbers have been compromised by lucky guessers.

Mark

Has anyone tried calling their PVP and seeing if they can apply the gift cards as OBC. I'm sure someone has, but I don't recall it being discussed.

I also have used some (from AARP) to pay towards my balance, and was not asked for a PIN. I just checked the balance on the ones I have left, and had to enter the PIN to check the balance. I may try calling my PVP this afternoon and seeing what he says.

Has anyone tried calling their PVP and seeing if they can apply the gift cards as OBC. I'm sure someone has, but I don't recall it being discussed.

I also have used some (from AARP) to pay towards my balance, and was not asked for a PIN. I just checked the balance on the ones I have left, and had to enter the PIN to check the balance. I may try calling my PVP this afternoon and seeing what he says.

You might be able to buy Cruise Cash but I'm not sure. I'll have to try it. Of course that is use it or lose it so be sure to stay on top of your balance once on the ship.

Nope, never mind. I forgot you can't use GCs on Funshop purchases.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I would think that Amazon should have some responsibility, as they sold you "faulty" gift cards. Since you can show that you bought them on X date, and the cards were used prior to that, they should be held accountable. Just my $0.02.

You might be able to buy Cruise Cash but I'm not sure. I'll have to try it. Of course that is use it or lose it so be sure to stay on top of your balance once on the ship.

Unfortunately, you can't apply it as OBC until you are actually on the ship (or at check-in, depending on the port). You also cannot use it for Fun Shop purchases, of which Cruise Cash is one.

Unfortunately, you can't apply it as OBC until you are actually on the ship (or at check-in, depending on the port). You also cannot use it for Fun Shop purchases, of which Cruise Cash is one.

Yep, just talked to my PVP and he couldn't do it. The only way to use them for OBC is once you're on the ship...can't be done ahead of time. He did say that just in the last week or so that Carnival has increased their security and a PIN is now required. So that makes me wonder if this has happened more than this one time.

Too bad Carnival wouldn't go through their transaction logs and find out when/who used those gift card numbers. Shame that it would take an act of congress for them to reveal that. I guess if they see a pattern in that the same bad guy is using stolen #s then it might get some resolution.

That is strange. Even the egift cards I get from PayPal Digital Gifts (on eBay) have PIN numbers.

Same here. I received e-cards from Citibank and they came with a pin. I checked the balance on each card I received as soon as I received it. I did this with all the cards I received from various sites, some regular gift cards and some e-gift cards.

If I received one without a pin, I think I would call immediately and ask about the pin and confirm the balance.

. I have posted my challenge to John’s Facebook page as my last resort.

Good luck. JH will just post it on his Facebook page asking the masses what he should do about it and then his loyal followers will blame you saying its all your fault :o Get ready for it is all Im saying.

Yeah I edited my post once I went back in and tried. I forgot it was a Fun Shop purchase.

Just to make sure, I just went through a booking process two minutes ago. I was able to apply another gift card I had without using a PIN. This is the same exact experience I had when I actually booked a cruise and partially paid for it over the phone with a PVP on 8/8/16, no pin was needed.

Now, you do have to have a PIN to check your balance at Carnival GiftCard.com.

For all the people who have had zero problems in the past, I was just like you. It wasn't until my cards that should have had $100 on them but instead had Zero, was this a problem.

If you do have cards, get them applied to a balance ASAP.

If you find yourself in my shoes, do not expect any help from Carnival. When you bring it to their attention that they accepted a stolen card that you are the rightful owner of, they will simply say "To bad for you, not our problem"!

I totally understand your frustration, but I don't see this as Carnival's problem. I agree that you need to follow up with Amazon. They are the seller of the gift cards.

That is an issue with gift cards that the company has no way of knowing who used the cards. I'm not sure they could find out who used the exact numbers like katmike suggested. But that would sure help.

I would think that Amazon should have some responsibility, as they sold you "faulty" gift cards. Since you can show that you bought them on X date, and the cards were used prior to that, they should be held accountable. Just my $0.02.

The cards were bought in 2015 and used in April 2016 so the cards were valid when the op purchased them. OP tried to use them in August 2016 and found out the had already been used. Really has nothing to due with the seller. Like previous posters have stated it isnt hard to figure out the numbers if only the last 4 are different.

My guess is that Amazon either accidentally issued more than one person the same eCard or someone guessed the numbers since they appear to go in order and fraudulently used the gift cards. I bet there are some people out there that use their gift card and then claim there zero was balance when they received it, which is why neither Amazon or Carnival will help. I also suggest you contact John Heald and see if something can be done. Hopefully, Carnival can look up who used your gift cards to prove it wasn't you.

I am kind of surprised they wouldn't tell you when it was used. I used on on the Breeze at check in to put on my account. When I boarded later the desk tried to say the card had a zero balance on it and never applied the $100 to my shipboard account. They called the giftcard dept and the rep advised the ship that they were indeed the ones who use the $100. They told us the date, time the transaction occurred. The ship then went back and applied the credit.