Toscana

Winters Gate

What is your opinion about Toscana?

We have now made a few Oceania cruises and it is certainly our first choice cruise line, we just love it!

But Toscana is something that we have some problems with, in the other specialty restaurants we have had many really tasty and well prepared dishes and unforgettable evenings but in Toscana would nor the ambiance or the culinary highlights appear nearly as often.

On our last cruise the pasta dishes in the GDR and Terrace Cafe where very nice and tasty, much better than in Toscana, it just don't make sense I think!

My opinion is that the menu needs to be updated in Toscana and also reduced in order to increase the quality.

What do you think could improve Toscana? Or is it fine as it is?

Toscana is about the only restaurant we go to unless dining with friends then we will do Polo

It is fine some of the dishes could use a bit of seasoning & some could be smaller portions but otherwise we like it

I just wish they could serve the food hotter in all venues & shorter than 2.5hrs to eat :eek:

I like to enjoy the dinner but sitting for over 2hrs to do it is not working for me :rolleyes:

The roasted garlic was quite good with the bread.

The ossu buco was IMHO consistently good the few times we had it.

The beef carpaccio was decent.

The bone-in veal chop was actually quite good too as was the Colorado lamb rack.

The lobster pasta was once way overcooked, perfect another time...so YMMV.

Interestingly, the one time we had the dover sole, it was way over-seasoned. Fish was of good quality but perhaps the chefs double salted it.

Hmm...looking back, looks like we kind of enjoyed Toscana's...the seafood dishes seemed like the inconsistent ones; definitely hit-or-miss there.

Food is a very subjective topic.

IIRC, on one of our cruises, the head chef of Toscana was making pasta live in the terrace cafe as well. I remember he said that he does this often. So the pasta, in theory, should be of the same quality...but I guess the Toscana chefs could have overcooked it. We don't usually order pasta as that is too much food for dinner...but we did on a couple occasions ordered some "special of the day" pasta in appetizer-size as suggested by our server just to try the pasta. On those occasions, the pasta was ok....we would prefer it a bit more al dente but that is just us.

I think I read (on this forum?) that Toscana and Polo were being consolidated so that Red Ginger could be added on the R ships. If accurate, it sounds like a sensible approach to take the best of those restaurants and add something different.

We really enjoyed the combo Toscano/Polo on Sirena. Being vegetarian, the chef was kind enough to make a "special"pasta for us. The pasta with grilled veggies was wonderful and may have been the best dish we had, behind the vegetables in béchamel cheese sauce in Terrace at night. Fab.

We really enjoyed the combo Toscano/Polo on Sirena. Being vegetarian, the chef was kind enough to make a "special"pasta for us. The pasta with grilled veggies was wonderful and may have been the best dish we had, behind the vegetables in béchamel cheese sauce in Terrace at night. Fab.

We are not vegetarian, but the grilled vegetable pasta sounds delicious. I think we'll make an off the menu request in Toscana when we are on the Regatta in October.

Edited by Mike2131

SWMbI and I have enjoyed Toscana on almost more occasions than I can count. Our first try on Nautica 3 years ago left us a bit underwhelmed, especially since she is gluten intolerant. But since then we've had the opportunity to eat in this venue almost more often with each voyage we've taken. I would merely say that you need to become used to their menu and with time and experimentation you'll be both happy and satisfied. Same can be true with Jacques and Red Ginger. :rolleyes:

Bon Appetit! :D

JMBobB

What is your opinion about Toscana?

We have now made a few Oceania cruises and it is certainly our first choice cruise line, we just love it!

But Toscana is something that we have some problems with, in the other specialty restaurants we have had many really tasty and well prepared dishes and unforgettable evenings but in Toscana would nor the ambiance or the culinary highlights appear nearly as often.

On our last cruise the pasta dishes in the GDR and Terrace Cafe where very nice and tasty, much better than in Toscana, it just don't make sense I think!

My opinion is that the menu needs to be updated in Toscana and also reduced in order to increase the quality.

What do you think could improve Toscana? Or is it fine as it is?

We thought Toscana was wonderful as was the other three. Just back frim Rivieria a few weeks ago and did not have anything but a very good meal.

Toscana is different on every sailing. Different chef and different source for ingredients. Sometimes it's great but sometimes it's awful. Same is true of polo

We have not found much difference on all our cruises, but all of our tastes vary so that can be the answer for some people. We like it you don't, you like it we don't. All not the same. :):):)

Toscana is different on every sailing. Different chef and different source for ingredients. Sometimes it's great but sometimes it's awful. Same is true of polo

We, have given up on Toscana, as preparations of the same things changes a great deal, from delightful to awful. It seems that more and more the dishes are all leaning toward heavy into pastas and heavy oil and garlic/tomato Even the veal chop gets a souse of olive oil.

We much prefer the Terrace if we want a taste of Italy because we have found many or the same menu items in the terrace and much more flavorful.... and not such overwhelming portions either.

SWMbI and I have enjoyed Toscana on almost more occasions than I can count.

Sorry for going off topic here, but my curiosity has got the best of me. What's a SWMbI? I know SWM (single white male) and SWMBO (she who must be obeyed), but SWMbI is a new one. Please enlighten me.

I agree. On one sailing it can be our favourite restaurant. On another, a disappointment. The only item that I have found to be consistent up to now is their tiramisu - which I think may be the best dessert on the ship!

But all the specialties are that way. Even on the same ship, I find that they vary from cruise to cruise. Maybe some of the people who do the cooking do not have a good sense of the western palate? Does Oceania require them to constantly taste their concoctions? (Like bartenders in high-end cocktail bars?)

After being on Oceania over a period of 5 years, I find that there is very little to no change in the menus. I find that disappointing. Don't get rid of what works well, but sometimes something a little different can cause a "sea"change!?

Mia

• 3 months later...
Maybe my post sounded to negative, I do also enjoy Toscana it´s not bad. But compered to the other specialty restaurant I´ll think there is room for improvement, it´s just not that special as it could be in my opinion.

Toscana is not the only restaurant we never go back to for the simple reason of the cuisine. The ambiance is just fine the atmosphere fun and up scale and the presentations excellent. The breads beautiful and the olive oils a nice touch.

However none of this can overcome the limits of cuisine which is based on heavy starch/pasta dishes with heavy tomato, oil and cheese overtones. Its well done for what it is... but Its my feeling that it is the cuisine its self that limits the quality. Its tough to jazz up such limited ingredients.

But that is Italian and O does the best to produce it but it is what it is...you cant improve on that if your making Italian foods.

Food is so subjective

some restaurants or types of cuisine is not for everyone

I grew up with an Italian step dad..every night was pasta of some description ;)

Love bread of any kind especially hot from the oven with butter :D

We are not big on meat or fancy food

Basic home cooking type food is our style

I do not tell people what is good or bad for them if you like it then eat it

Toscana is not the only restaurant we never go back to for the simple reason of the cuisine. The ambiance is just fine the atmosphere fun and up scale and the presentations excellent. The breads beautiful and the olive oils a nice touch.

However none of this can overcome the limits of cuisine which is based on heavy starch/pasta dishes with heavy tomato, oil and cheese overtones. Its well done for what it is... but Its my feeling that it is the cuisine its self that limits the quality. Its tough to jazz up such limited ingredients.

But that is Italian and O does the best to produce it but it is what it is...you cant improve on that if your making Italian foods.

Love Italian food and will keep going back. Our opinion.....