Frustrated with Letter just received from Carnival

QTPieRye

Given her health situation and upcoming brain surgery, for obvious reasons she wants to spend quality time with them and yet have some downtime to relax. Is this really that difficult for some of you to understand????

That's all fine and well but what some of us are trying to point out and you are failing to understand is the children may refuse to stay in camp and that seems to be a point you did not take into consideration. That is not bullying or bashing in any way it is a very real reality now that the children are involved and it needs to be a discussion that is made prior to the trip. What is going to happen if the kids won't stay in camp. It's not the kids faults if they are scared and don't want to be left with strangers on a strange cruise ship and want to stay with Mom.

They aren't brats for not wanting to stay there (if that turns out to be the case). Your adult daughters aren't snobs for not wanting to spend their cruise babysitting, they are on vacation and these kids aren't their responsibility. Though if they are honestly well behaved kids it would be nice if your daughters took them for a couple hours while Mom went to the serenity area to relax or the spa once, if the kids like spending time with them but they don't have to. You are also not a horrible person for wanting to spend quality time with your girls and your Bff without her kids.

This can be an awesome vacation if you guys just go into it with your eyes wide open and accept it for what it is now. A vacation with 2 small kids instead of looking at it for what it was, an adult retreat.

Now my daughters have bad attitudes because they don't want to babysit on their vacation and what difference does it make whether they paid for their cruise or not. They've already agreed to watch the girls a couple of evenings, but do not want to spend their time babysitting during times when the girls could be checked into Camp Carnival.... SMH.

So it now they've agreed to watch the girls a couple evenings? I really don't understand the problem now. If there is a problem with Camp Carnival, hang out with your daughters during the day and most evenings, then your BFF those evenings your daughters watch the kids.

I commented about the cruise fare because no matter how old I was, if my parents paid my fare and I refused to do something for them, I would no longer be going on the cruise.

That's all fine and well but what some of us are trying to point out and you are failing to understand is the children may refuse to stay in camp and that seems to be a point you did not take into consideration. That is not bullying or bashing in any way it is a very real reality now that the children are involved and it needs to be a discussion that is made prior to the trip. What is going to happen if the kids won't stay in camp. It's not the kids faults if they are scared and don't want to be left with strangers on a strange cruise ship and want to stay with Mom.

They aren't brats for not wanting to stay there (if that turns out to be the case). Your adult daughters aren't snobs for not wanting to spend their cruise babysitting, they are on vacation and these kids aren't their responsibility. Though if they are honestly well behaved kids it would be nice if your daughters took them for a couple hours while Mom went to the serenity area to relax or the spa once, if the kids like spending time with them but they don't have to. You are also not a horrible person for wanting to spend quality time with your girls and your Bff without her kids.

This can be an awesome vacation if you guys just go into it with your eyes wide open and accept it for what it is now. A vacation with 2 small kids instead of looking at it for what it was, an adult retreat.

I get what you are saying... fortunately, her girls are very well rounded, extroverted kids.... adapting to Camp Carnival should not be a problem, but IMO would be easier for both she and them if there was a desginated Camp area they were being dropped off and picked up at. The letter does not state that... it just states there will still be fun activities. I will adapt, but am frustrated. I've already changed my scheduled excursions to kid appropriate ones.... and this last minute Camp closure is just frustrating.

I get what you are saying... fortunately, her girls are very well rounded, extroverted kids.... adapting to Camp Carnival should not be a problem, but IMO would be easier for both she and them if there was a desginated Camp area they were being dropped off and picked up at. The letter does not state that... it just states there will still be fun activities. I will adapt, but am frustrated. I've already changed my scheduled excursions to kid appropriate ones.... and this last minute Camp closure is just frustrating.

I understand I had to totally change our next cruise due to DS coming along and he was suppose to be in his own room then his GF who was his roommate couldn't come so he is with us, which means we had to change all our travel plans and can't go down as early as we wanted, change our room, excursion plans to one he wants to do etc. It is extremely frustrating when all your perfect plans go *POOF* lol But we'll go and have a great time even though it's not the cruise we planned in the first place.

Amen amen amen. [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is hard to be "giving" and change after one thing is decided..that creates a change...then with her kids coming boom another change...they kept piling up...I see the added worry...good on you to talk daughters into 2 nights and changing activities to kid friendly....I think in this case it is more a pow wow with your self and daughters and blowing off steam here which is good..to get support back from understanding ones and then devil's advocate stuff can remind you of angles possible at their worst. I take it you go..a lot and your daughters will get to go fairly often. I think this one...make it about the people you added on. Your daughters can see your giving heart...you can see what you already know in action...just what surprises come your way doing for others...give her breaks when the camp does not work out and I think it will work out as much or more as it would have anyway. Sometimes our hearts give more than our egos want..then bingo..it is what it was supposed to be anyway...altered..but a happier bigger different thing..you are giving her a chance to balance out so much with her kids..kind of mini prepare them..and probably prove to them she will be happy and fun and strong as possible through this...by not crying around but trying something new at your suggestion...anyway pardon me because I am "supposing" too but hopefully in a supportive way. I cant tell you as a solo unit how much i have done the same..because oddly with family near and all with kids and grandkids, it is all about them i am spoiled and like to go alone even though i live alone..when I don't want the "giving" surprises...but my happiest memories...at least half of them..are the Massive PANDIMONIUM and as my grandma put it..lol.."bedlam"..with the whole family cramed somewhere due to some event..and all the cars getting there...lol..sometimes the best were the sub-zero games and i hate sports..but not with my nephews playing ..Surprise!!! So anyway...this trip may not be what initially dreamed about showing your friend...and have a different pace...but could have the best love/sharing/good feeling lessons around. This is how I see Carnival at it's best...oriented to people who have families whether with them or not...and who also have budgets so easier to negotiate extras with your xtra pennies together. Don't shoot me..long winded Montanan here...make this trip about her...and your daughters and you will have the best time..and can be grateful for the many more you will have...praying for her...your heart made the exact right decision...to ask her..IMHO. Love, Sarah.... (writing before last posts came in..sorry) My mom passed 4 years ago..kind of early since her mom lived to 97; (76) so I am colored by that too in full disclosure.

Edited by sjn911

It is hard to be "giving" and change after one thing is decided..that creates a change...then with her kids coming boom another change...they kept piling up...I see the added worry...good on you to talk daughters into 2 nights and changing activities to kid friendly....I think in this case it is more a pow wow with your self and daughters and blowing off steam here which is good..to get support back from understanding ones and then devil's advocate stuff can remind you of angles possible at their worst. I take it you go..a lot and your daughters will get to go fairly often. I think this one...make it about the people you added on. Your daughters can see your giving heart...you can see what you already know in action...just what surprises come your way doing for others...give her breaks when the camp does not work out and I think it will work out as much or more as it would have anyway. Sometimes our hearts give more than our egos want..then bingo..it is what it was supposed to be anyway...altered..but a happier bigger different thing..you are giving her a chance to balance out so much with her kids..kind of mini prepare them..and probably prove to them she will be happy and fun and strong as possible through this...by not crying around but trying something new at your suggestion...anyway pardon me because I am "supposing" too but hopefully in a supportive way. I cant tell you as a solo unit how much i have done the same..because oddly with family near and all with kids and grandkids, it is all about them i am spoiled and like to go alone even though i live alone..when I don't want the "giving" surprises...but my happiest memories...at least half of them..are the Massive PANDIMONIUM and as my grandma put it..lol.."bedlam"..with the whole family cramed somewhere due to some event..and all the cars getting there...lol..sometimes the best were the sub-zero games and i hate sports..but not with my nephews playing ..Surprise!!! So anyway...this trip may not be what initially dreamed about showing your friend...and have a different pace...but could have the best love/sharing/good feeling lessons around. This is how I see Carnival at it's best...oriented to people who have families whether with them or not...and who also have budgets so easier to negotiate extras with your xtra pennies together. Don't shoot me..long winded Montanan here...make this trip about her...and your daughters and you will have the best time..and can be grateful for the many more you will have...praying for her...your heart made the exact right decision...to ask her..IMHO. Love, Sarah.... (writing before last posts came in..sorry) My mom passed 4 years ago..kind of early since her mom lived to 97; (76) so I am colored by that too in full disclosure.

Sorry, I het submit instead of type.

How well put, especially about your daughters seeing your giving heart. You will likely (and I am assuming) have more relaxing vacations while your friend may or may not. Discuss expectations and alternatives beforehand and then go with open hearts intending to have the best time possible.

Some of your frustration with posters may come from incomplete information in the first post---this happens a lot so no reflection on you personally. I too thought your daughters could at least offer to watch the kids for an evening giving their mom and you free time. Then you clarify that they already had. Great! It's funny how much one can change their perception of others just by getting responses to posts to make clarifications.

You sound like a better friend than your brain want to let you admit. Hope all turns out well on the cruise and in the future for your friend.

So sorry to hear about your friend's illness. I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise.

I will be praying for your friend. Hoping her surgery and treatments (if she is having them) work out great for her.

Have a great cruise!

What's there to be Confused about? Have you ever travelled with young children?

I am not saying I don't want them around at all... I love these girls like they are my own; however, this is my cruise too and I choose to relax! I don't want to spend 7 straight days on a cruise ship that does not have a designated place for them to go.... I want everyone to have fun. As others have stated, hopefully they will have an alternative location for the camp... :)

Then you should not have begged her to go with you..how do you think your "bestie" would feel if she read your post?

I'll bite....what's the problem with her post?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Are you kidding? After years of "begging" to go on a cruise with her, the OP comes to a public board to complain that her young children may be around?

It amazes me how much gets assumed when you don't post step by step details of how things occurred....

Based off some of your responses, I get the feeling that some of you have NO friends and are literally just cyber bullies! I did NOT invite my bff to join me with her 2 young children... for those of you that have a difficult time understanding... once again, I was booked, she was diagnosed with a horrible brain issue and debilitating disease. During a conversation, she mentioned how lucky I was to get to travel, relax and spend quality time with my family, so I suggested she join me to get away. Originally, her hubby was going to watch the girls; however, he will be travelling that week.... so we discussed bringing them along. During that discussion, I raved about Camp Carnival, and explained that she could have the best of both worlds on a cruise. Relax, lounge by the pool during the day while girls were checked into camp and spend quality time with them during other times. Given her health situation and upcoming brain surgery, for obvious reasons she wants to spend quality time with them and yet have some downtime to relax. Is this really that difficult for some of you to understand????

We are only responding to your comments. Having recently recovered from cerebral aneurysm surgery myself, don't assume we aren't qualified to respond logically.

WoW!!! This is one of the most Heartfelt and best post I have seen in my almost 2 years on CC. This post actually reminded me that there are still decent people on CC.

Michael

I feel sorry for those kids. Apparently they will be shoved into the clubs everyday so the adults can enjoy themselves as they see fit. Once those kids see the pools they aren't going to want to stay indoors all day!

My kids hated the clubs; said they were bored and all they did was color and look at magazines with the counselor a leaving them to their own devices while they chatted. Been in 6 cruises now and they have never returned.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am so frustrated with Carnival right now! I am cruising on the Miracle in 14 days with my 2 daughters (young adults) and my best friend with her 2 young daughters (ages 4 & 6). After 20 years of me begging her to go on a cruise, I finally convinced her to go after bragging about how much fun her girls will have at Camp Carnival, etc. ........

This morning I woke up to a letter from Guest Services advising me that "Camp Carnival will be getting a makeover during the next few weeks. This means that camp area will not be open during your sailing, but the programming will still be in the full FUN force."

SERIOUSLY, RIGHT NOW?!?!?! I am pretty sure this makeover wasn't just decided 2 weeks before cruising! GURRRRR

There are worst things in life.

I am so frustrated with Carnival right now! I am cruising on the Miracle in 14 days with my 2 daughters (young adults) and my best friend with her 2 young daughters (ages 4 & 6). After 20 years of me begging her to go on a cruise, I finally convinced her to go after bragging about how much fun her girls will have at Camp Carnival, etc. ........

This morning I woke up to a letter from Guest Services advising me that "Camp Carnival will be getting a makeover during the next few weeks. This means that camp area will not be open during your sailing, but the programming will still be in the full FUN force."

SERIOUSLY, RIGHT NOW?!?!?! I am pretty sure this makeover wasn't just decided 2 weeks before cruising! GURRRRR

Why are you deciding to ruin everyone's cruise before you even get on the ship? :rolleyes:

I only have 2 things to add, so already too much has been said on the subject.

1) Try to think of your friend first. Obviously, she wants her kids with her on the cruise or she would have made other arrangements to take care of them while she was gone. After all, didn't you invite her along to make her feel good?

and 2) Sarah (sjn911), you are wearing out your ...... key again. (though I agree, it was very heartfelt)

Edited by HawkIVette

Op..We are on the cruise after yours. We just received this letter today. I couldn't copy and paste it so I re-typed it without the individuals names. I'm not sure if your letter is the same, but ours states that they will have the Night Owls programming. Hope this helps ease your mind. If not I would give Carnival a call. I hope you all have a wonderful cruise. You are getting some great advice here.

"August 19, 2016

Hi there!

Were sure you must be really excited about your cruise. So we'd like to take a moment to share with you some information.

We'd like to let you know that Camp Carnival will be getting a makeover in the next few weeks. This means the camp area will not be open for your sailing, but the programming will be almost identical to our usual Camp Carnival schedule of events. So, no worries, the FUN will be in full FUN force.

During your cruise we will be operating a slightly modified schedule for Camp Carnival and activities will take place in various areas throughout the ship. Full details will be available in the Activities Schedule onboard.

Our teams has lots of FUN stuff planned for both you AND your kids! Here's a little of what they can expect:

-Camp Carnival has tons of activities designed for the younger kids in 3 different age groups (2 to 5, 6 to 8 and, 9 to 11 years.) We promise to ensure the highest quality of entertainment and care for the kiddos. They'll enjoy games, arts and crafts, movies, lots of face painting, themed dance parties, and our Night Owls programming and much more!

For the safety of the kids, all doors have alarms and staff will closely monitor the floor, especiallly for the 2-5 age group. Team member in the 2-5 age group room will engage and entertain the children, as well as provide any assistance necessary.

Your youth director, ****** ******, is really looking forward to meeting all the kids on registration day. Once onboard, check you FunTimes for hours and location.

So are you ready for a week of FUN? We sure can't wait to welcome you aboard! The entire Miracle team will do everything possible to make this a fun and memorable experience for the entire family.

Sincerely,

Sr. Director, Guest Services - Contact Centers"

2) Sarah (sjn911), you are wearing out your ...... key again. (though I agree, it was very heartfelt) .. by HawkIvette

WoW!!! This is one of the most Heartfelt and best post I have seen in my almost 2 years on CC. This post actually reminded me that there are still decent people on CC.

Michael..

Sometimes I am too sensitive , too much , too many words...but thanks and mean well...never have I lasted out a place like this..this long..good for the skin thickening...one does end up with a way to say one's opinion..short, long, divisive or otherwise...and I have "done my time here".

And we do give each other a head's up...needed or not...short or long..nature of the place..thank you and thank you. LOL, I just got it the "..." along with the long winded. Guilty; bad pain day here and should have tightened it up.

Edited by sjn911

It amazes me how much gets assumed when you don't post step by step details of how things occurred....

Based off some of your responses, I get the feeling that some of you have NO friends and are literally just cyber bullies! I did NOT invite my bff to join me with her 2 young children... for those of you that have a difficult time understanding... once again, I was booked, she was diagnosed with a horrible brain issue and debilitating disease. During a conversation, she mentioned how lucky I was to get to travel, relax and spend quality time with my family, so I suggested she join me to get away. Originally, her hubby was going to watch the girls; however, he will be travelling that week.... so we discussed bringing them along. During that discussion, I raved about Camp Carnival, and explained that she could have the best of both worlds on a cruise. Relax, lounge by the pool during the day while girls were checked into camp and spend quality time with them during other times. Given her health situation and upcoming brain surgery, for obvious reasons she wants to spend quality time with them and yet have some downtime to relax. Is this really that difficult for some of you to understand????

My late husband had brain cancer when we decided to go on our first cruise. He was also a father to one. While we would have loved to have had his son on the cruise with us, we knew it was just as important for he and I to have some alone time. My former (step)son is not one that would have wanted to stay at Camp Carnival.

Is there no way possible for the husband to put off his trip, especially since he initially was going to watch the girls any way?

I will tell you that as my late husbands sole caregiver, until about a week before he died, going on that cruise without a kid was the best decision we could have made.

Edited by Mr & Mrs Happy