Magic - lunch questions

ABQrobin

So are both the Tandoor Grill and Guys Pig 'N Anchor ONLY open on Sea Days? On a 7 day cruise, that would only be 2 days.

I haven't sailed the Magic in a while but my experience is those type of venues are open for lunch each day. I was most recently in the Splendor in May and the Tandoor and the Rotisserie were open every day for lunch.

So are both the Tandoor Grill and Guys Pig 'N Anchor ONLY open on Sea Days? On a 7 day cruise, that would only be 2 days.

Anchor BBQ where they smoke the barbecue is only sea days.

In my experience, the Tandoor is open daily for lunch, including embarkation. I've had it for embarkation lunch, I thought. It usually seems better quality earlier in the week.

Thanks everybody!

I think that the BBQ should be every day, not just once or twice in a week. Bad advertising by Carnival. Sad, but they really dropped the ball on this one. Long lines and short hours then just offered a few days per cruise.

Tandoor.... glad to hear it is daily. We did the Magic back 2 years ago and only got there one day at lunch. It was so good we have been looking forward to doing it again. The Splendor has it too, so if we decide on that ship, we have that to enjoy.

Thanks everybody!

I think that the BBQ should be every day, not just once or twice in a week. Bad advertising by Carnival. Sad, but they really dropped the ball on this one. Long lines and short hours then just offered a few days per cruise.

Tandoor.... glad to hear it is daily. We did the Magic back 2 years ago and only got there one day at lunch. It was so good we have been looking forward to doing it again. The Splendor has it too, so if we decide on that ship, we have that to enjoy.

Honestly there are tons of lunch options on the Magic on Lido: Tandoor, deli, pizza, Iguana, Guy's, Mongolian Wok, and Italian all in addition to th buffet. Embarkation day is so busy for the staff and port days, a lot of people get lunch offbeat, so I totally get why they'd have one places that was only sea days (on lanai I believe, not lido even).

I don't mind that they made the BBQ something special to look forward to on sea days. Since it is supposedly actual barbecue that is smoked, I'm not even sure it'd be feasible to do daily on a cruise ship. I'm really not sure what the smoker setup is. But a wood smoker on a cruise ship does pose some interesting challenges, I'm sure.

Honestly there are tons of lunch options on the Magic on Lido: Tandoor, deli, pizza, Iguana, Guy's, Mongolian Wok, and Italian all in addition to th buffet. Embarkation day is so busy for the staff and port days, a lot of people get lunch offbeat, so I totally get why they'd have one places that was only sea days (on lanai I believe, not lido even).

I don't mind that they made the BBQ something special to look forward to on sea days. Since it is supposedly actual barbecue that is smoked, I'm not even sure it'd be feasible to do daily on a cruise ship. I'm really not sure what the smoker setup is. But a wood smoker on a cruise ship does pose some interesting challenges, I'm sure.

I get that... it is special... but they shouldn't be making such a big deal about it, like it is a reason to take the Magic over another ship! And no where on the Magic listings does it tell you it is only 1-2 days. If you look at the food information it gives you all about it, including a menu, but not details about times or days. That is why I say Carnival has dropped the ball on this. If I hadn't read the complaints about it here on CC, I would never have known.

I get that... it is special... but they shouldn't be making such a big deal about it, like it is a reason to take the Magic over another ship! And no where on the Magic listings does it tell you it is only 1-2 days. If you look at the food information it gives you all about it, including a menu, but not details about times or days. That is why I say Carnival has dropped the ball on this. If I hadn't read the complaints about it here on CC, I would never have known.

Oh, I didn't see the publicity as "this makes the magic better than our other ships" so much as just making a big deal out of (a) figuring out how to get a wood smoker approved and safely on a cruise ship and (b) a new dining concept to add to their repertoire. So we're just reading it differently, I guess, I definitely agree it's nothing to pick a ship over!

I did first see it in the Magic listings (we have a Magic cruise booked), and I'm not sure if the one folks are complaining about (on the Conquest where they replaced the fish with the BBQ and added the Seafood Corner) is even a Guy's Anchor or has the same hours. Haven't researched that ship lately.

I did first see it in the Magic listings (we have a Magic cruise booked), and I'm not sure if the one folks are complaining about (on the Conquest where they replaced the fish with the BBQ and added the Seafood Corner) is even a Guy's Anchor or has the same hours. Haven't researched that ship lately.

The Conquest is not the same as on the Magic. It is indoors where the old Fish and Ships place was -- one deck above Lido, aft.

The Conquest is not the same as on the Magic. It is indoors where the old Fish and Ships place was -- one deck above Lido, aft.

I know the location is different, and I think it's not the Pig & Anchor but another branding, plus not the one with the cherry wood smoker, no? I mean, there was seaside BBQ on the Dream years ago, but it's not the "same" branding or whatever. (Also, the barbecue nerd in me thinks the wood smoker adds a nice touch, but I'm sure it's not a big deal.) Anyway, my point was that people weren't complaining about the BBQ but about the fish and chips/seafood corner situation (those who complained).

• 1 month later...

GUY'S PIG & ANCHOR BAR-B-QUE SMOKEHOUSE

Chef and restaurateur Guy Fieri, has expanded his seagoing culinary offerings with Guy’s Pig & Anchor Bar-B-Que Smokehouse, a casual open-air eatery located on Carnival Magic’s Lanai on Promenade Deck.

The Smokehouse features a wide variety of BBQ favorites smoked right on board over hickory and cherry wood using Guy’s signature recipes, rubs and spices. Fieri is cooking up real-deal smokehouse favorites like bone-in, dry-rubbed, slow-smoked and pulled Championship Pork Butt, dry-rubbed and grilled Blue Ribbon Chicken, smoked Andouille sausage and Sliced Smoked Round of Beef cooked 'low and slow' and thinly sliced. A rarity on cruise ships, the open-air spot features a traditional wood smoker.

Also featured are Fieri’s own unique take on traditional side dishes with deliciously creative offerings like Mac Daddy Mac n Cheese, Old Skool Potato Salad, Scratch-Made Slaw, Collard Greens with Smoked Turkey, and Molasses Baked Beans with Bacon and Burnt Ends.

Diners can spice up their dishes with Fieri’s signature BBQ sauces, including Award-Winning Brown Sugar (sweet and sticky), Kansas City (smoky and sweet), and Sriracha BBQ (spicy and tangy) and Carolina #6 (tangy with sweet heat). A hot sauce bar, as well as a wide range of ice-cold beers and soft drinks will be available as well.

Open for lunch on sea days, 12:00pm-2:30pm, food is complimentary; bar service is available for a fee.

Guy's Pig & Anchor Bar-B-Que Smokehouse is currently on the following ships: Carnival Magic.

Guy's Pig & Anchor Bar-B-Que Smokehouse menu