Review of Aug 11-20 Anthem of the Seas 9 night to Bermuda & Caribbean

Just back from one of our best vacations ever. Admittedly I was nervous since this was our first time on Anthem and many of the reviews were not good. We loved it! This was our 11th cruise and we are definitely loyal to Royal. Service is beyond unbelievable. There were 4 of us...my husband, myself and our 2 boys ages 11&8. I will try to give an overview but feel free to ask questions...

Stateroom...we lucked out. I booked us the oceanview guarantee. We ended up with cabin 9110, which is an oversized amazingly large stateroom. It is all the way forward and a corner cabin...the extra room made it very comfortable. Window was floor to ceiling and gave us an amazing view. Some reviews warned we would feel more movement of ship since we were all the way forward, but it was not bad...the benefit of having all the extra space was appreciated. The storage and closet space was terrific. We are over packers and even had more space than needed. LOVED LOVED LOVED this stateroom and would book it again.

Dining...we chose classic dining, late seating and were thrilled. We like the traditional way of cruising where your waiters are the same and get to know you. I also didn't want to deal with coordinating reservations and risk missing any shows or activities. With classic you either have the early or late seating and never wait on a line for your table. We chose late, which was 8:30, but our table was always ready for us by 8 or 8:15. They rotated us through the 4 complimentary restaurants and the cycle repeated after night 4. Our waiters followed us. Worked out well. Food was good. Recall it better on previous cruises, but still, perfectly good.

Entertainment...there are 3 shows you need to reserve for...The Gift, Spectra and We Will Rock You. They repeat several times during sailing, but reserve ahead of time. You are to arrive 15 minutes before show time to take your seats. At about 10 minutes before showtime they let all without reservations I so if you do not have a reservation it is not the end of the world. You just may not get a great seat. The shows were good. All other entertainment is listed daily in the cruise compass and do not require reservations.

Activities...We did it all...rock climbing wall, bumper cars, SeaPlex activities, played pool in Music Hall, North Star and I-Fly. You need reservations for those last 2. If you cannot book ahead of time online do not panic...spaces always open during week and they can get you in. We were able to do everything we wanted. Many even multiple times.

Pool decks...the reviews are true, chair hogs are everywhere, but do not let them ruin your vacation. Our ship was full and we always managed to get a spot. I chose not to stress over this one because it could get crazy, if you do not need to be right near pool head to upper deck- many lounge chairs available there. And be considerate of others people...if you need to vacate your chair for more than 20 minutes, give it up to others. Common courtesy could go a long way. The solarium was lovely and we enjoyed that when the kids were in Adventure Ocean and it is adults only.

Adventure Ocean...hours are 9-12, 2-5, 7-10 -with some options for them to take kids to lunch/dinner...all this is free of charge. Only charge is $7/child/hour after 10pm. Our kids enjoyed it 1 or 2 sessions a day.

Other favorite places to relax...270...this room is amazing!!!! The cafe there is a great lunch or breakfast spot as well and is not very crowded. We also enjoyed playing pool in the Music Hall.

Overall we loved this cruise. The ship and all the activities are incredible. The RC crew is fabulous as always and although big and full ship, it never seemed overcrowded anywhere, except maybe main pool. Hope this is helpful...feel free to ask questions...

Thanks for posting this. We have our first cruise on Anthem this Thursday. Like you, we're in one of the "110" corner rooms, and on Late Classic Dining.

Which restaurant has the Roast Beef sandwiches that we came to love on the Oasis-Class ships?

Alan

Thanks for posting this. We have our first cruise on Anthem this Thursday. Like you, we're in one of the "110" corner rooms, and on Late Classic Dining.

Which restaurant has the Roast Beef sandwiches that we came to love on the Oasis-Class ships?

Alan

The Cafe at 270.

Thanks for the review, we're also coming up on our first trip on Anthem. It sounds like you went in with a great attitude and had a good time.

You really have to have a positive attitude. Too many people complain or let things or people ruin their trip. It was a fabulous vacation and refused to let negative people get in our way! Enjoy your trip!

Wow!!! Thank you for taking the time to write a great review. Leaving in 8 weeks and very excited.:)

Enjoy it!!! Another tip...if you aren't plying you can pack a case of water and up to 2 bottles of wine. We took advice of others and are very happy we packed the water...

Alan

Agree that 270 has great food. The 110 corner room is AMAZING!!!! You will love it. Have fun!!!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just back from one of our best vacations ever. Admittedly I was nervous since this was our first time on Anthem and many of the reviews were not good. We loved it! This was our 11th cruise and we are definitely loyal to Royal. Service is beyond unbelievable. There were 4 of us...my husband, myself and our 2 boys ages 11&8. I will try to give an overview but feel free to ask questions...

Stateroom...we lucked out. I booked us the oceanview guarantee. We ended up with cabin 9110, which is an oversized amazingly large stateroom. It is all the way forward and a corner cabin...the extra room made it very comfortable. Window was floor to ceiling and gave us an amazing view. Some reviews warned we would feel more movement of ship since we were all the way forward, but it was not bad...the benefit of having all the extra space was appreciated. The storage and closet space was terrific. We are over packers and even had more space than needed. LOVED LOVED LOVED this stateroom and would book it again.

Dining...we chose classic dining, late seating and were thrilled. We like the traditional way of cruising where your waiters are the same and get to know you. I also didn't want to deal with coordinating reservations and risk missing any shows or activities. With classic you either have the early or late seating and never wait on a line for your table. We chose late, which was 8:30, but our table was always ready for us by 8 or 8:15. They rotated us through the 4 complimentary restaurants and the cycle repeated after night 4. Our waiters followed us. Worked out well. Food was good. Recall it better on previous cruises, but still, perfectly good.

Entertainment...there are 3 shows you need to reserve for...The Gift, Spectra and We Will Rock You. They repeat several times during sailing, but reserve ahead of time. You are to arrive 15 minutes before show time to take your seats. At about 10 minutes before showtime they let all without reservations I so if you do not have a reservation it is not the end of the world. You just may not get a great seat. The shows were good. All other entertainment is listed daily in the cruise compass and do not require reservations.

Activities...We did it all...rock climbing wall, bumper cars, SeaPlex activities, played pool in Music Hall, North Star and I-Fly. You need reservations for those last 2. If you cannot book ahead of time online do not panic...spaces always open during week and they can get you in. We were able to do everything we wanted. Many even multiple times.

Pool decks...the reviews are true, chair hogs are everywhere, but do not let them ruin your vacation. Our ship was full and we always managed to get a spot. I chose not to stress over this one because it could get crazy, if you do not need to be right near pool head to upper deck- many lounge chairs available there. And be considerate of others people...if you need to vacate your chair for more than 20 minutes, give it up to others. Common courtesy could go a long way. The solarium was lovely and we enjoyed that when the kids were in Adventure Ocean and it is adults only.

Adventure Ocean...hours are 9-12, 2-5, 7-10 -with some options for them to take kids to lunch/dinner...all this is free of charge. Only charge is $7/child/hour after 10pm. Our kids enjoyed it 1 or 2 sessions a day.

Other favorite places to relax...270...this room is amazing!!!! The cafe there is a great lunch or breakfast spot as well and is not very crowded. We also enjoyed playing pool in the Music Hall.

Overall we loved this cruise. The ship and all the activities are incredible. The RC crew is fabulous as always and although big and full ship, it never seemed overcrowded anywhere, except maybe main pool. Hope this is helpful...feel free to ask questions...

Any suggestions on what to do in the various ports?