Hurricane in the Caribbean right now....friends are being rerouted!

DKNE

So we leave in 7 days for our cruise, but we have friends that are on the Freedom of the Seas right now and it was just announced that they are turning their eastern cruise into a western cruise to avoid Hurricane Fiona. So they do not get to go to St Thomas or St Maarten but are being redirected to Cozumel and Costa Maya instead.

Wishing them all a safe journey.

How do you find out where the hurricane's are going to??

I live in Florida and often look at this website during the hurricane season: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

It seems to give the most current information and updates and does not "overreact" like most TV weather stations do. Now that being said, just know that these are only forecasts and the paths can and do change all of the time.

We sail every year during Hurricane season and have only missed 1 island due to the Hurricane destroying it before we got there! :D

We have not been rerouted however know that we can be at any time. We expect the cruise line to do whatever they feel is necessary to keep us and the ship out of harms way. Honestly we have been in the Eastern Caribbean several times when a storm was in the Atlantic and would have never known it. The seas were relatively calm and we had fantastic sunny days.

Whatever happens, just keep an open mind and enjoy your cruise!

We sail in 26 days and can't wait!

So we leave in 7 days for our cruise, but we have friends that are on the Freedom of the Seas right now and it was just announced that they are turning their eastern cruise into a western cruise to avoid Hurricane Fiona. So they do not get to go to St Thomas or St Maarten but are being redirected to Cozumel and Costa Maya instead.

Good for them. St Thomas is nothing like it used to be. St Maarten is okay but not a Cozumel. I think we are burned out on the Eastern run.

Hi there, Tropical storm Fiona should not turn into a hurricane and shouldn't come close to St. Thomas or St Martin. I can't figure out why Carnival is changing course unless its because of higher waves and wind.

Go here to find out about hurricanes http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

I thought the same thing, but I am sure they have their reasons. Fiona is quite a ways out there though....

Hi there, Tropical storm Fiona should not turn into a hurricane and shouldn't come close to St. Thomas or St Martin. I can't figure out why Carnival is changing course unless its because of higher waves and wind.

The OP's friends are on the Freedom of the Seas - its RCI that is adjusting the route, not Carnival. Although I do agree with your general sediment in "why are they adjusting the route so early?"

I thought the same thing, but I am sure they have their reasons. Fiona is quite a ways out there though....

I did search Hurricane Fiona and saw a path that is leading to Bermuda, not even near those islands our friends were supposed to go to. And she had pre booked a tour in St Marteen too (independently!). Whatever the reason for the reroute, the ships captain makes the decision. They are on a Royal Caribbean cruise, our friends right now, the ones being rerouted.

This will be my 9th cruise coming up and only once have we ever been rerouted. We were supposed to go to Virgin Gorda and ended up going to Tortola instead!! That was 20 years ago! We were on very rough seas where they sent all of us to our muster stations and glasses were coming off the shelves in the bar.

That's one thing I like about cruising, your ship can be rerouted due to pending storms, but if you are at an all inclusive on an island, your stuck !!

Happy sailing to all those upcoming this weekend !!! :D

The OP's friends are on the Freedom of the Seas - its RCI that is adjusting the route, not Carnival. Although I do agree with your general sediment in "why are they adjusting the route so early?"

I only posted in here because we are leaving on a Carnival cruise this coming weekend :)

I too looking at reports I've just read, found they were rerouted early. Bummer my friend booked an independent tour on St Maarten though !!

But there are 2 other storms stirring up that they are currently watching, and could be on land this weekend or late this week. They were to be in St Thomas and St Maarteen Wednesday and Thursday, so maybe just speculating that they would have had rough seas by those days with the new storms brewing !

Edited by DKNE

Fiona is well North of the Virgin Islands and headed North/Northwest. Hard to see how it would have any impact at all on St Thomas.

The map in the link provided in one of the responses does have a yellow "X" which the NHC is calling "Disturbance 1". That's a tropical wave (essentially a group of thunderstorms) that they say has a 20% chance of developing into a tropical disturbance, NOT a Hurricane, in the next 48 hrs and is headed toward the Virgin Islands. That could mean some unpleasant weather for St Thomas. Seems like an overreaction to me, but maybe that's what prompted RCCL to re-route the Freedom of the Seas cruise your friends are on.

Weather channel expects disturbances to the area Wednesday. Why sail into it?

Is it really from Fiona, or the tropical wave that's right behind it. Fiona should head north, but the wave behind it is forecast to go right through that area.

Fiona is well North of the Virgin Islands and headed North/Northwest. Hard to see how it would have any impact at all on St Thomas.

The map in the link provided in one of the responses does have a yellow "X" which the NHC is calling "Disturbance 1". That's a tropical wave (essentially a group of thunderstorms) that they say has a 20% chance of developing into a tropical disturbance, NOT a Hurricane, in the next 48 hrs and is headed toward the Virgin Islands. That could mean some unpleasant weather for St Thomas. Seems like an overreaction to me, but maybe that's what prompted RCCL to re-route the Freedom of the Seas cruise your friends are on.

Even if it doesn't become a hurricane, it will be a really wet, windy day there for a few days. I'd rather go elsewhere anyway!

It is not a hurricane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good for them. St Thomas is nothing like it used to be. St Maarten is okay but not a Cozumel. I think we are burned out on the Eastern run.

Too funny! I am burned out on the Western Caribbean (poor me), although that is what I have booked for January. I feel like I have done everything there is to do in Cozumel.

It's good they are being cautious. Having lived on the gulf coast my entire life, depressions, T.S's and hurricanes have a mind of their own and can speed up, slow down, do a circle and turn at the drop of a dime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's good they are being cautious. Having lived on the gulf coast my entire life, depressions, T.S's and hurricanes have a mind of their own and can speed up, slow down, do a circle and turn at the drop of a dime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. After our disney dream cruise in Oct 2011 we flew home in a tropical storm. Bad enough that ships out of port canaveral that wknd were delayed a day as they sat and waited out the storm.

BTW oasis of the seas rerouted their ship too for this week.

I'd rather be on a sunny hot island than a wet drippy island any day!

Although I do agree with your general sediment in "why are they adjusting the route so early?"

I'm sure it's because they don't want to even come close to having another Anthem of the Seas incident. Better safe than sorry since they apparently weren't cautious enough that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Rerouting and changing stuff because of the tropical wave (invest 90 I believe) but a press release saying "Rerouting for invest 90" does not have the same effect as "Rerouting for TS Fiona (or insert any named Storm) ... Bottom line, invest 90 is expected to develop into something tropical so the cruise lines do not want to be caught down there in anything... So they are changing. As others have said, regardless, it will be wet, windy and generally crappy weather so better off going where it is at least sunny! But safety is paramount in such decisions!

There is a tropical wave way south of Fiona that shows a 60% chance of formation through the next 48 hours and the next 5 day forecast. It looks like areas around Puerto Rico and The Bahamas may be impacted. The spaghetti forecasts all seem to be in agreement of the path at this time. RCCL was smart to steer clear. Cruises leaving later this week may also be impacted. It will also be interesting to see if Florida is eventually impacted.

They must have been directed because of disturbance #1 in the ocean. There is no way that it was because of Fiona.

Also, for a repeatable update, visit the NWS, NHC, or an actual meteorologists. You can take what The Weather Channel says as a grain of salt this far out, especially since their forecast are computer generated, and not a ture forecast. The same them is true for ACCU Weather.com too.

I'm sure it's because they don't want to even come close to having another Anthem of the Seas incident. Better safe than sorry since they apparently weren't cautious enough that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That's a good point. Although I "captain" my personal 26ft center console fishing boat for me and a couple buddies, I certainly would not trust my judgment for captaining several thousand passengers!! There's a reason that the captain of the ship makes that call and none of us on this forum do!