Free Ultimate Beverage Package Sale Question

ihopat2am

Thank you everyone for the clarification![/QUOT

Not the whole picture

How about booking through the UK website - no service charges added ever and with the weak pound is a great deal!!

So is the free drinks package not subject to the 18% if the cruise is bought in the the UK?

How much does the 18% come to on each package?

Services charges are added for grats though as far as I remember.

Edited by evitacruiser

So is the free drinks package not subject to the 18% if the cruise is bought in the the UK?

Apparently the 18% is not charged to UK customers. Suite passengers do not have to pay the 18% as well.

The 18% charge is $14.22 per day, based on the daily cost of the drink package of $79.

Yes, the daily service charge is added.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Apparently the 18% is not charged to UK customers. Suite passengers do not have to pay the 18% as well.

The 18% charge is $14.22 per day, based on the daily cost of the drink package of $79.

Yes, the daily service charge is added.

Thank you, that is useful information.

Just cruised with the UBP last month. Very, very few drinks over the $15 limit. And, those seemed to be ones like very high end tequillas, brandies, scotches, etc.

I like premium bourbon (Woodford), vodka (Grey Goose), gin (Hendricks) and beers (Fosters oil cans) and none of them were on the "above $15" list.

I think you'll be fine.

Awesome! Grey Goose and Fosters are plenty high end for me!! My husband likes good Bourbons too!

It's not often you even find one over $15. Occasionally a craft beer or a glass of wine. But honestly, we went on this cruise back in January and saw very few things over $15!

I know! There are a few dirty martinis and the like as well as some scotch type things ( not a drinker of them) that are above 15 dollars. But in reading the drink menus WITH the new prices, we will be fine with included drinks. I have a whole list to drink through!

Awesome! Grey Goose and Fosters are plenty high end for me!! My husband likes good Bourbons too!

Just make sure you only enjoy regular Grey Goose. The orange, pear and citrus versions are no longer included in the UBP. Just like Woodword Reserve Bourbon, Goslings Rum, Prairie Gin and Patron Silver.

The fact that they are charging 16.95 for Patron Silver and Goslings Rum when they are 9.95 and 8.95 on Carnival is the epitome of nickel and dimeing.

Absolutely.

NCL's prices are way out of line compared to their competition. I guess their debt reduction plan is based on overpriced booze, bottled water, and service charges.

The only positives regarding the UBP versus their competition is that Carnival and Royal do not offer it as a perk and you need to be in an OV on Celebrity and I believe the same on Princess. At least you can get it on NCL in an inside cabin

No nothing is added to the UK package. It may be in the price of the cruise but the UK passengers do not pay the 18% service charge.

It surrounds UK consumer law and the attitude of the UK to service charges.

You can add the DSC (prepay) if you want but you can also if you want have them removed prepay or not - they are done on the ship unlike the US

Edited by bmwman
Finish post

Apparently you are not in the loop here on NCL's across the board increase on "Super Premium" drinks to $16.95 (not to be confused with the higher end "Ultra Premium") and some mixed drinks such as chocolate martini, Chiroc Vodka Cosmo or Prairie Gin and Tonic for $17.95 each which will be a $3.48 supplement for each. While there are alternative liquors to most drinks, they suggest the mixed drink combinations with the ones requiring supplement and no one has suggested a great alternative to the chocolate martini.

APPARENTLY NOT, so sorry for the error!

I have family on the Escape this week. I told them in advance of the price increases I read about online, and they assured me NCL would not do that. Then they got onboard and called me to say yes, NCL did, in fact, jack up all the drink prices.

Disappointing, NCL has always been so affordable and reasonable in our experience when compared to other lines.

I know! There are a few dirty martinis and the like as well as some scotch type things ( not a drinker of them) that are above 15 dollars. But in reading the drink menus WITH the new prices, we will be fine with included drinks. I have a whole list to drink through!
Yeah, I mean, i'm not super picky. I also won't drink well liquor, but I don't have to have top shelf. I'm not going to let the increase ruin my cruise. I book cruises to enjoy the act of cruising and waking up every day with a new view and somewhere wonderful to explore, the drinks are just a bonus!

We cruise on the Pearl on Sunday (YAY, finally)! We have the "totally" free UBP (booked in March 2015 before they started adding the 18%). Will we be charged 18% for each drink?? I didn't think so, but now I wonder?
Happy 50th Birthday and happy first cruise!!!! ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 5 months later...

Just completed a 21 day cruise on NCL with the UBC and 7 day dining package for "free". The gratuities on those two were $840. Add the daily service charge for two at another $567 and we would have been paying over 25% of the cruise cost in gratuities. We tried to get a good explanation of how all that got divided and received nothing other than a print out off the NCL site. For the first time ever, we reduced our gratuities to the appropriate amount for the cruise. Didn't feel good about doing it, but also didn't feel excessive gratuities were in order. Making me consider going back to rewarding those that actually serve well.

I have just spoken to NCL and was told that if you purchase the drinks package you are charged 18% gratuity

But if you have package on free promotion the 18% charge does not apply and will not be added

That's true in the UK, Australia, etc. but not for US bookings. Did you call NCL US and they told you this?