Beverage Package Confusion!

BrisbaneGran

We have 2 Princess cruises booked. One for October, and one for December. October is Beijing to Sydney and December is Brisbane to Brisbane (via Papua New Guinea).

We would like to purchase the Beverage Packages, but on each cruise, it is showing a different price? BOTH are listed in Australian Dollars, but the October one quotes $64.90 per day with a drink limit of $14....and the December booking shows $73.75 per day with a $10 drink limit?? What am I missing? Any idea of what the "actual" cost is?

We have 2 Princess cruises booked. One for October, and one for December. October is Beijing to Sydney and December is Brisbane to Brisbane (via Papua New Guinea).

We would like to purchase the Beverage Packages, but on each cruise, it is showing a different price? BOTH are listed in Australian Dollars, but the October one quotes $64.90 per day with a drink limit of $14....and the December booking shows $73.75 per day with a $10 drink limit?? What am I missing? Any idea of what the "actual" cost is?

Do you have the prices reversed? The October cruise is on the Diamond and probably USD are used on board. The 73.75 AUD would be close to 56.35 USD and then the limit of 10.00 USD/drink. The December cruise is on the Sea Princess with AUD onboard. The 64.90 and the 14.00 are probably AUD. If my assumptions are correct, then both prices are correct.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do you have the prices reversed? The October cruise is on the Diamond and probably USD are used on board. The 73.75 AUD would be close to 56.35 USD and then the limit of 10.00 USD/drink. The December cruise is on the Sea Princess with AUD onboard. The 64.90 and the 14.00 are probably AUD. If my assumptions are correct, then both prices are correct.

I guess you are right. I read on previous posts on the USD and AUD per drink limits of 10.00 and 14.00 respectively.

The October cruise is on the Golden Princess.......

"All-Inclusive Beverage PackageAU$64.90 per person, per day

All-Inclusive Package featuring any drink up to $14 including cocktails, wine, beer, bottled water, sodas, specialty coffees & more! A 40% discount on bottles of wine (below $100 retail) is also offered on bottles purchased in bars, dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Excludes in-room services, souvenir, mini-bar and vending machine items.

All-Inclusive Beverage Package only available on voyages 8 nights and longer."

The December cruise in on the Sea Princess........

"All-Inclusive Beverage PackageAU$73.75 per person, per day

All-Inclusive Package featuring any drink up to $14 including cocktails, wine, beer, bottled water, sodas, specialty coffees & more! A 40% discount on bottles of wine (below $100 retail) is also offered on bottles purchased in bars, dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Excludes in-room services, souvenir, mini-bar and vending machine items.

All-Inclusive Beverage Package only available on voyages 8 nights and longer."

Both cruises state that the currency used will be AUD!

There are some serious bugs in the Princess website software, especially to do with incorrect prices on drinks packages and other online purchases. Essentially it thinks the AU price is a US price and so "converts" it to AUD again. I really wish they get that fixed. :rolleyes: If you do purchase drinks packages ahead of time you will see when you board that they are actually AU $59, and Princess will refund the difference. :) However it's easier just to buy them onboard.

Recently Princess announced that repositioning cruises, like your Beijing to Sydney cruise, would also have onboard costs in AUD. Therefore it has the standard AU $59 drinks package price and a $14 limit on drinks.

Your December cruise is a standard AU cruise, so also $59 and $14 as above.

There are some serious bugs in the Princess website software, especially to do with incorrect prices on drinks packages and other online purchases. Essentially it thinks the AU price is a US price and so "converts" it to AUD again. I really wish they get that fixed. :rolleyes: If you do purchase drinks packages ahead of time you will see when you board that they are actually AU $59, and Princess will refund the difference. :) However it's easier just to buy them onboard.

Recently Princess announced that repositioning cruises, like your Beijing to Sydney cruise, would also have onboard costs in AUD. Therefore it has the standard AU $59 drinks package price and a $14 limit on drinks.

Thanks for the straight information. The $10 drink limit was confusing because that is the limit for ships using USD while ships using AUD had the $14 drink limit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is absolute correct information from OKJ,we are on the same cruises,although haven't commited to sea princess yet.

On the golden cruise everything started in USD,and then corrected to Aud,no grats etc,as OkJ,states,it is treated as a repositioning cruise,our win,Brs/Gran

note added bris cruise for us is a pipe-dream,prob wont happen but china is on honey,53 days to go.

Edited by mrs and mrs

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I should just wait till I get on board then....can you sign up for the Beverage Package at any of the Bars or have to go to Guest Services? (never been on Princess so sorry if these are dumb questions)

$59 sounds a hell of a lot better than $73!!

Edited by BrisbaneGran

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I should just wait till I get on board then....can you sign up for the Beverage Package at any of the Bars or have to go to Guest Services? (never been on Princess so sorry if these are dumb questions)

Any bar, and they will have people set up all over the ship selling them, you won't have trouble finding somewhere to buy it, you may have trouble finding somewhere not selling them on the first day.

LOL,dont worry they wont miss you.

Usually just inside the atrium,they will have a table set up,if not just ask a staff member and you will be directed to the right spot:)

Can I ask why you would bother with the package at that price. It is a total rip off. I personally could never drink that much in a single day

The reason the prices are different is because one cruise the ship is based in Australia and the other cruise it is not based in Australia but reaches Australia. I have cruised enough to know that the moment Princess ships hit Australia the price jumps for several reasons.

2 cocktails @ $14 (one in the afternoon, one before dinner)

3 glasses of wine @ $8 (one with lunch, 2 with dinner)

2 regular lattes @ $3.50

Break even point.

Add in fresh OJ with breakfast, some bottled water, an ice-cream, maybe an after dinner liqueur, brandy or whisky.

Of course if you only drink beer or wine it's harder to reach that break even point.