Cell phone and internet access

BeeIslandGirl

Your best bet is to check your carrier's website for details. I have Verizon and can not get my domestic plan including free calls, texts and access to my data for $2 per day in Canada. Some carriers now cover Canada for free if you have a large enough data plan. It really is all carrier specific.

I have Verizon and can not get my domestic plan including free calls, texts and access to my data for $2 per day in Canada.

I hate to bring up typos, but did you mean "now" rather than "not"? I'm just checking because I plan on using my Verizon plan for the $2 a day on our Canadian cruise next month and want to be sure it's still available. Thanks!

OP and others piggying back on the questions, please - try - to be a little more specifics: if you don't mind, tell us your cruiseline and/or ship, ports of call and how much data (internet) and voice/texting you plan/need to use.

Generally, while at sea - you will need cruise ship coverage - could be a mix of WiFi & cellular relayed, over satellite to/from land towers - those can be expensive; and, away from the ship - land towers with 1 of 3 Canada's providers (Bell, Rogers or Telus) as roaming partners, billed to your U.S. account for usage. There are dozens of plans & coverage, some grandfathered and others add-on, plus PAYG and prepaid deals, etc.

It's difficult to offer suggestions without a little more details.

On a related note, if you travel frequently abroad and not just cruise, I highly recommend Project Fi (by "Google" - designed for Android smartphones) ... it's highly recommended by the frequent business flyer community with international voice coverage at 140 countries for as little as 20 cents a minute (USD) over cellular, and "free" over WiFi - especially calling back to the USA - and 3G to 4G data at $10 per 1,000 MB (or 1GB) used. No coverage, however, while at sea cruising - as that's satellite data. DW's monthly total for unlimited domestic calling, text and up to 1 GB of 4G-LTE data with taxes/fees, come to $35 or less and credited back for unused data.

Edited by mking8288

I hate to bring up typos, but did you mean "now" rather than "not"? I'm just checking because I plan on using my Verizon plan for the $2 a day on our Canadian cruise next month and want to be sure it's still available. Thanks!

Oops, that is a big typo.:o Yes, I did mean NOW, not not, thanks for catching that.

The $2 per day travel passes for Canada and Mexico are easy. We used one in Cozumel recently with no issues. We did not sign up for it in advance, though you can if you prefer. We had decided we were going to stay disconnected for the week but once we got to Cozumel and got the texts saying we could activate the travel pass, we did. Canada should work the same way, though if your data plan is a larger plan, you might get Canada for free.

Thanks for pointing out my oops.:)

My husband and I will be traveling on the New England/Canadian cruise in September. We have US Sprint. What are your suggestions for internet, text messages to our kids in Florida, etc. This is our first cruise!

We will be on the New England/Canadian Holland America cruise traveling to Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown, Quebec City and Montreal. I have Sprint. Thank you for your help and suggestions. Do we just use our phones/tablets when we are in ports? I do believe that the access is free for Sprint. Wi-fi spots? etc. ??

I too have the same question. I have AT&T with free Mexico/Canada usage that comes with having AT&T and DirecTV. I know at sea that we are dependent on the ship's cell service but what about the times in the St. Lawrence? We are on the Celebrity Summit in mid Sept.

Thanks

I have the Verizon XL plan and Canada/Mexico are included.

I doubt that there will be much, if any, cell service when cruising...even in a river with land in sight.

The ports should not be a problem.....but I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

Unless you are in port, the ship will have its cell tower active and you cell phone will connect to it because it is the strongest signal - and several $/min service.

In port the ship's cell tower is turned off and you are left to the mercy of the local service.

If you don't have a cell service that allows an inexpensive way to work in Canada you will find yourself subject to international rates.

I plan on taking advantage of the $2.00/day that Verizon offers to keep in touch with my family. As well as being able to interact with out tour vendors.

It also says that if your phone is off for 24hrs there is no charge - great for sea days.

The best bet is to check with your carrier about your phone use in Canada.

Get a shipboard Internet for email & use one of the great 'free' VOI' packages for voice calls &text messages, while you are at saw, It might not seem like it. You can also find Free / Inexpensive WiFi to use with caution while ashore in most ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by richh333