More Voom questions Allure of the seas

I agree with a few others it is confusing when looking at the website

1.Is voom the only way to use the internet on the ship Allure of the seas?

2. Do you have to pay the whole week or can you pick certain days?

3. Does Voom work on Labadee?

4. Will your cell phone carrier charge you extra using Voom since it is out of USA.

I can't decide if I would use it enough to pay for it or not.

4. Will your cell phone carrier charge you extra using Voom since it is out of USA.

1. No, you can use cellular internet if you want to spend loads of money and have a much slower data rate.

2. You can pick certain days, but the per day price will be more than if you purchase until the end of the cruise.

3. No

4. The cell carrier has nothing to do with Voom.

If you have AT&T and put iPhone on airplane mode, when you connect to the web you can make and receive calls at no charge. At least mine have [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for taking the time to answer. When I was last on a cruise there was internet in the internet café (for lack of another word) I just want to check email in case something serious is going on at home. I am just getting used to my I phone from sprint so you can see I probably am not as computer savy as 95% of others on cruise critic

Thank you for taking the time to answer. When I was last on a cruise there was internet in the internet café (for lack of another word) I just want to check email in case something serious is going on at home. I am just getting used to my I phone from sprint so you can see I probably am not as computer savy as 95% of others on cruise critic

Internet café is the right term. You have a good memory. :)

You should be able to find free wifi somewhere in Falmouth and in Cozumel. If all you want to do is check email a few times, do it there.

There will probably be a deal on the last day either for a 24 hour period or for 30 minutes. Again, plenty for just checking email.

:)

If all you want is to receive text messages, you may be able to do that for free. Check with your cell carrier. I know with AT&T, we can receive texts for free while at sea. If you do this, I'd turn off cellular data to make sure you don't run up a bill.

I am just getting used to my I phone from sprint so you can see I probably am not as computer savy as 95% of others on cruise critic

But you are savvy enough to come here for questions, which puts you ahead of 90% of the cruising public.;)

Can anyone that has been on the Allure recently report if travel routers still work on the Allure? More specifically, travel router like this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/TripMate-Wireless-Powered-Storage-Sharing/dp/B00HZWOQZ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454941023&sr=8-1&keywords=Hootoo+tripmate+nano+travel+router

also interested to hear about travel routers onboard the allure...

Help me out here - what's the benefit of a router even if you get it to work? Share a potentially iffy connection with more than once device? You need a wired connection for something? :confused:

This router connects to Royal's WiFi and routes that one connection to multiple connections on a different SSID. They can connect unlimited devices and only pay for one ... as long as all the devices are in their stateroom.

This router connects to Royal's WiFi and routes that one connection to multiple connections on a different SSID. They can connect unlimited devices and only pay for one ... as long as all the devices are in their stateroom.

I never understood that - you are sharing a crappy connection to make it even crappier over more devices? If you are really using more than one device at a time, performance will very likely suffer. Just work out the logistics to not be on at the same time, performance will be better and you don't have to bring all the networking paraphernalia with you.

I never understood that - you are sharing a crappy connection to make it even crappier over more devices? If you are really using more than one device at a time, performance will very likely suffer. Just work out the logistics to not be on at the same time, performance will be better and you don't have to bring all the networking paraphernalia with you.

Sometimes I think it's all about "stickin' it to the man" and not any significant economics.

Hi,

Technologically inept here... sorry! If I purchase the VROOM Surf Package from one device, does anyone know if Face Time or something like ooVoo would work while at sea? I'm trying to figure out how my husband and I can contact the kiddos a couple of times and the grandparents can have access to us in the event of an emergency. The way I understand it is that when we sail, I place my iPhone (through Sprint) in Airplane Mode and log into the ship's wifi. Again - I have no clue if this is correct or makes sense. SORRY! :confused:

Thanks in advance all!

Hi,

Technologically inept here... sorry! If I purchase the VROOM Surf Package from one device, does anyone know if Face Time or something like ooVoo would work while at sea? I'm trying to figure out how my husband and I can contact the kiddos a couple of times and the grandparents can have access to us in the event of an emergency. The way I understand it is that when we sail, I place my iPhone (through Sprint) in Airplane Mode and log into the ship's wifi. Again - I have no clue if this is correct or makes sense. SORRY! :confused:

Thanks in advance all!

Depending on the internet load at the time, Facetime should work at sea with the stream package.

The way I understand it is that when we sail, I place my iPhone (through Sprint) in Airplane Mode and log into the ship's wifi.

Try that (airplane mode, turn on wifi connect to home wifi) at home right now. Then see that everything you want to use works. It should work the same way on the ship.

THANK YOU!!! It works! :cool:

Before you get all giddy, realize that while it should work on the ship, it may not work as well. Facetime maybe be choppy and you could have an occasional slowdown and breakups. But, you are all set and know what to do.

Next week, move up to Internet 201 where we talk about ping and latency.:cool:

If you have AT&T and put iPhone on airplane mode, when you connect to the web you can make and receive calls at no charge. At least mine have [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is that the only setting change you made? Last cruise I had to pay ATT data roaming charges plus the ship package I bought. What about texting? Internet? Thanks!!!

Is that the only setting change you made? Last cruise I had to pay ATT data roaming charges plus the ship package I bought. What about texting? Internet? Thanks!!!

If you have WiFi calling/texting enabled, you can do all of those things with just the ship WiFi package - no other charges. As I mentioned to the other poster, try this at home.

Just returned from the Allure yesterday and VOOM surf and stream worked great --almost as fast as our high-speed internet at home. We were able to make FaceTime video and audio calls to our family and my husband even gave his mom a video tour of the ship. We were very happy with VOOM's performance -- it's significantly faster than any other internet connection we've had at sea.

• 1 month later...