NCL Trip Insurance?.?.

albucchi

That couldn't be possible.

Every single poster on CC who has bought trip insurance has ended up coming out ahead.

I thought you knew that NCL and all other trip insurance providers do so out of the goodness of their hearts, and never make a profit.

Whatever you are drinking, I WANT SOME !!!!

For the cost of the trip itself this may be so and if that were the only factor I probably wouldn't bother. However I don't have an extra $25k to $50k laying around in the event anyone in my party had to be medevac'd home and I don't want to have to worry about finding a preferred provider under my medical plan in a foreign port. For $100 to $200 it's worth it not having to worry about that.

It's up to you how you want to spend your money, but I believe insurance covering only medevac and foreign medical is out there and much cheaper than total trip insurance.

Also, I don't really worry about medevac personally, as I am in my mid-40s with no major health problems, and everyone who travels with me is younger than I am. Sure, I guess it could happen, but I'll take my chances.

I would probably buy some kind of medevac insurance if I were older.

Trip insurance does make sense if you are predicting a high liklelihood life event which will prevent you from cruising, such as a close relative whose health is deteriorating (of course, I would wonder why you would cruise then, anyway!)

Just be aware that trip insurance has a BIG profit margin for the providers, enough to where they hand out very generous commissions for sales of policies.

I once got involved in a thread here where I tried to convince people of this, and tons of people came out of the woodwork to chide me that trip insurance is great and how they personally benefited from having it.

As a gambler, I know that you don't ever bet against the house unless you have found a hidden edge.

Edited by pokerpro5

It's up to you how you want to spend your money, but I believe insurance covering only medevac and foreign medical is out there and much cheaper than total trip insurance.

It is available but if you are over 55 the cost differential seems to be weighted differently. I keep hearing that you can save "a bundle" by not including the trip cancellation portion. I always look at JUST medical, medical evac and repatriation of remains coverage but find I can add trip cancellation for $25 to $50. I usually, but not always, buy it based on my tolerance for risk at that time. A lot depends on if I think my job is shaky, or my mother's health is failing, etc. The risk of a sudden onset of illness is much, much greater, for me now in my 60's, and the huge costs that could wipe out my savings make the risk too high for my risk tolerance.

Having insurance is to protect against risk. The individual has to assess the risk, and decide if spending $100 on a $2,000 cruise fare is worth eliminating that risk.

I believe the OP or one of the posters mentioned a child with severe allergies. They are (probably) already impacted by medical costs that are not covered domestically. They should know that trip insurance with medical coverage is a very good buy for them, as their likelihood of needing medical care is much, much higher than a family without medical issues. They can take advantage of the shared pool of insurance to minimize their costs.

Also, I don't really worry about medevac personally, as I am in my mid-40s with no major health problems, and everyone who travels with me is younger than I am. Sure, I guess it could happen, but I'll take my chances.

Trip insurance does make sense if you are predicting a high liklelihood life event which will prevent you from cruising, such as a close relative whose health is deteriorating (of course, I would wonder why you would cruise then, anyway!)

Just be aware that trip insurance has a BIG profit margin for the providers, enough to where they hand out very generous commissions for sales of policies.

I once got involved in a thread here where I tried to convince people of this, and tons of people came out of the woodwork to chide me that trip insurance is great and how they personally benefited from having it.

As a gambler, I know that you don't ever bet against the house unless you have found a hidden edge.

health concerns are only part of my thoughts, as I realize that accidents do happen.

I just look at trip insurance as the rake on my vacation, $300 bucks for me and the gf on a $4,000 vacation, my piece of mind is worth it to me.

and of course insurance premiums are a waste, until you need to make a claim

This week, I booked next November. My daughter has asthma and nut allergies so I definitely need to have pre-existing conditions covered.

On our last cruise, we had the NCL insurance. My husband never wants to have trip insurance because he says we're going no mater what! lol he's not thinking about the unthinkable events that could occur!!! And of course I understand that's why we buy any form of insurance.

So we're going with third party but I am having trouble deciding what we need.

I'd hate to over pay because we'd never need everything that's covered, and I'd also hate to take coverage that doesn't cover something we could need. We live an hour and a half from the port so we don't need flights or hotel stays covered. (unless of course the trip is interruped and we need to wait over night before a flight home. I was just saying we don't need flights/hotels before after the planned cruise) we'll be paying for port parking and about $20 in tolls. We are on the Breakaway 11/5/17 from NYC to FL, Nassau, and GSC. It's me, my husband, and daughters 37, 43, 10 & 12 at the time of sailing.

I appreciate any advice!! Thanks in advance!

You may want to check with your credit card company.

Some card types cover travel insurance when you use said card in booking.

http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/18717212/travel-insurance-you-didn-know-you-have-chase-saphhire-card/

I agree with you concerning the med evac and foreign medical, but disagree with you as far as not needing it because of age, A lot depends on how active you are. Not hard to find numerous cases of your adults encountering major medical problems doing such things as riding scooters, paragliding, jet ski's etc. I personally know of one case of a 24 year old fell on a treadmill and ended up with a skull fracture. I witnessed an accident in Aruba where a couple was crossing the street in a cross walk and got hit by a car that sped around a car stopped to let them cross. Both ended up in the hospital, medical bills and travel back to the US over $100,000. Their ages were 41 and 38. While it may be low probability it does happen.

Edited by RDC1

I know there are policies that only cover medevac and medical but whenever I've priced policies a comprehensive policy is so close to or less than the price of the medevac/medical only policy that it makes sense to take it. I personally don't care how much money those companies are making, they are offering a product that will protect me from financial ruin if the brown stuff hits the fan.

health concerns are only part of my thoughts, as I realize that accidents do happen.

I just look at trip insurance as the rake on my vacation, $300 bucks for me and the gf on a $4,000 vacation, my piece of mind is worth it to me.

and of course insurance premiums are a waste, until you need to make a claim

Doesn't that 7.5% rake feel high?

Put another way, suppose you own a $200,000 home. If you were paying $15,000 annually in fire/flood insurance for peace of mind, would that feel like a good deal?

Put another way, suppose you own a $200,000 home. If you were paying $15,000 annually in fire/flood insurance for peace of mind, would that feel like a good deal?

As a one time thing it isn't so bad. The guideline that I've read says one shouldn't spend more than 10% of the trip cost unless there are extenuating circumstances so the PP's expense fits that criteria.

As a one time thing it isn't so bad. The guideline that I've read says one shouldn't spend more than 10% of the trip cost unless there are extenuating circumstances so the PP's expense fits that criteria.

I've read a guideline that says the best way of telling whether or not someone's a witch is to tie them up in a bag, throw them in a river, and see if they float. Float = Witch = Burn at the stake.

No Float = Drown, but not a witch.

I've read a guideline that says the best way of telling whether or not someone's a witch is to tie them up in a bag, throw them in a river, and see if they float. Float = Witch = Burn at the stake.

No Float = Drown, but not a witch.

LOL, yeah, I get it, you don't like insurance:rolleyes:.

Single trip premiums are high. IF you want better value for your money it is better to get annual travel insurance - but you need to be taking more than one trip to make it worthwhile.

I only value the medical part of travel insurance. If I am just going on a trip to UK or a short trip where my European Health card (EHIC) is accepted, I do not take out insurance.

The chances that I might miss my flight are slim if I plan to get to the airport 3 hours before departure. There might be an accident on the Motorway but I have enough credit on my card to suck up the cost of a new flight.

IF I am going on a ship or travelling out of Europe I think that medical costs are just too high to avoid paying that policy.