Anthem of the Seas Ship/Suite Review

Thanks for sharing your review! Considering the price of the suites, I would be upset and disappointed as well.

I haven't read many reviews yet about this class of ship, and am wondering about the solarium. Did you spend much time in the solarium and what are your thoughts? Was it crowded?

The Solarium is one of our favorite locations on Oasis class, and pictures make it look great on Anthem.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A sign I saw during port checkin said something like: "Priority boarding will begin at 11am. If you arrive after this time, please board with the masses." paraphrased!

I realize that you were in an upper level suite, and should get priorty boarding as people have posted how nice and great it is, but I wonder about the logistics. Do all later-arriving Star class cruisers have to push past people? They should figure something out...

"I’ve never seen French Toast so small. Two triangle shaped pieces, maybe 4 inches on the hypotenuse side!" --nice description.

Very good and thorough review, enjoyable reading.

To me, if they want Star Class or Loyalty guests boarding early, provide an early check-in time. We just waited our turn, like everyone else until our genie found us.

I would have taken a picture of the french toast but didn't have my macro lens on the camera :)

I think they could have something as simple as a switch inside the door with colored LED lights outside the door. One switch/light for "Do Not Disturb" and the other for "Please Make Up The Room". This is not my idea. I think I've seen it around but for a new ship, it would have been easy to incorporate.

You would love the Norwegian Escape.

b3cc05cb7126c7efc578af2435e3d67a.jpg

c99ec615e9b7fce04cf8359b0d283596.jpg

Thanks for sharing your review! Considering the price of the suites, I would be upset and disappointed as well.

I haven't read many reviews yet about this class of ship, and am wondering about the solarium. Did you spend much time in the solarium and what are your thoughts? Was it crowded?

The Solarium is one of our favorite locations on Oasis class, and pictures make it look great on Anthem.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was reasonably crowded most of the time. During the day, the pools had lots of people sitting in them, which is pretty much all you could do. Much less at night. The tiered pool area (which is a cool concept) always had less people than the other two pool areas. The weather was always good so it wasn't because of bad weather that it was busy.

As I mentioned, we did see young kids in the pool and they were not asked to leave. Always had a staff member watching the pools (same as the others). The area was on the hotter, humid side. The water was on the warmer side. You could basically walk right in with no adjusting required.

Their restaurant was busy when it was open. Bar service wasn't bad.

The swing in the front was taken down after the first couple of days and never put back up.

Hope that helps.

Restaurants

... I’ve never seen French Toast so small. Two triangle shaped pieces, maybe 4 inches on the hypotenuse side! That was breakfast.

The hy what ?? You got a loud guffaw from me on that one - LOL :D ...

Yes, I too would be disappointed by some of the slip-ups considering the premiere type of stateroom that you booked ...

Didn't know you had to carry the souvenir cup in order to access some of the dispensing machines - that would be a ... in the ... ! With a family member who has mobility issues, your observations about trying to find seating in the Windjammer, elevators etc are helpful ...

And I'll be right beside you on the soapbox re: the issue of wasted food. If a person took a look at the plate I bring back from the buffet, one would think that I eat like a bird. I just take a scoop or two of what I'm interested in ... and if I like it, I get back up and get some more. It just amazes me when people stack their plates with a "Mount Rushmore" amount of food ... like it's a major inconvenience to get up and get some more ... or they're terrified that the cruise ship will run out of shrimp for example ...

Thanks for the review

The hy what ?? You got a loud guffaw from me on that one - LOL :D ...

Yes, I too would be disappointed by some of the slip-ups considering the premiere type of stateroom that you booked ...

Didn't know you had to carry the souvenir cup in order to access some of the dispensing machines - that would be a ... in the ... ! With a family member who has mobility issues, your observations about trying to find seating in the Windjammer, elevators etc are helpful ...

And I'll be right beside you on the soapbox re: the issue of wasted food. If a person took a look at the plate I bring back from the buffet, one would think that I eat like a bird. I just take a scoop or two of what I'm interested in ... and if I like it, I get back up and get some more. It just amazes me when people stack their plates with a "Mount Rushmore" amount of food ... like it's a major inconvenience to get up and get some more ... or they're terrified that the cruise ship will run out of shrimp for example ...

Thanks for the review

In the Windjammer, there were some tables marked as handicapped or wheelchair accessible. I can't remember exactly how they where designated. If you have guest in your party with a mobility issue, you maybe able to find seating at one of these tables.

Thanks for supporting my soapbox.

Hypotenuse... the long side of a triangle ;)

What ships on Celebrity have the Butler and what xtra do they do that the genie does not? Torn between anthem and trying Celebrity

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I assume all Celebrity ships have the butler but I have only been on the Summit and Solstice.

Some of the things that I know are;

-Brought afternoon snacks via a coffee/tea wagon.

-Served in-suite meals (from the restaurant menus which are also in the suite).

-Take care of the "butlers pantry".

-Provide other food/drinks throughout the day if requested (including early evening hor d'oeuvres)

-Deliver coffee (or coffee type drinks) from the ships coffee bar to your suite

-Make reservations for the restaurants

-Provide access to reserved seating in the theater.

I think there are things like unpack your luggage, shine shoes, arrange for laundry, etc., if you wish.

Hope this helps.

I am disappointed to hear about the service you received as a Star class suite guest.

We were on the Anthem last November before the new suite classes were rolled out.

We just returned from the Harmony and it seemed the suite classes were running a lot smoother. I personally prefer the Oasis class ships because they never feel crowded even during the busy seasons (school vacations and summer). We have never been on Celebrity or NCL, but I have started to look around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Galley cook thanks it does. Do they offer any "free". Like free beverage package, free specialty dining, free grats? That's a big plus to me

If you're asking about the "free" for the Star Class, then, when I booked in July (and I believe it is always), it's the Ultimate Beverage, Free Specialty, Gratuities included (with the exception of the Genie). There is the Suite Page on the website that shows the differences in what is included for Star, Sea and Sky Class.

I did a lot of reading since I've been Haven Only on NCL for quite a few years - and I wanted to get a lot of the same "perks" in a new line.

What I was asking (I probably didn't word it right) does Celebrity/NCL offer any of the "free" perks with their butler service that RC does with their genie service? Thanks

You may want to ask this on the dedicated forums:

Celebrity: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

NCL: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

Ok thanks I will. I thought I read that you had been on both. I was on anthem and also had the genie and I'm hooked but would like to try another cruise line if they have comparable perks. Thanks again

MSC, Divina or brand new Seaside coming next year out of Miami. YACHT CLUB.... I have not experienced it yet, but have read all of the reviews on the MSC threads. Your own restaurant, pool, hot tubs, bar/lounge, butler ..all inclusive. :):):) and they have a STATUS MATCH program going on right now!!!!!

Edited by champagne123

What I was asking (I probably didn't word it right) does Celebrity/NCL offer any of the "free" perks with their butler service that RC does with their genie service? Thanks

I assume the inclusions on RCI (as part of the Star Class) will stay. Both NCL and Celebrity have "deals" where they have thrown in things like specialty restaurants etc. I believe you always get 1 Specialty Restaurant dinner on Celebrity no matter what their deals are at the time.

Last year on Celebrity we also received a drink package but had to pay to upgrade it to the Ultimate (or best package).

Depending on the suite your in on NCL, determines what you get in-suite. For example in the Garden Villa, they provide 6 bottles (your choice from a given selection) of alcohol (plus Champaign). In the Penthouse on Celebrity you can choose 2 bottles. If you don't have a drink package you will have to pay for drinks outside of your suite.

You can order from any restaurant on the ship on NCL or Celebrity (via the in room menu's). Your butler will serve them to you. IF you order from Specialty Restaurant, you will have to pay for it (unless you have a package). They do sell Specialty packages but I don't think they provide unlimited use.

Both NCL and Celebrity have suite only restaurants for which additional perks may be included.

The big thing with NCL is the Haven area which is only accessible by suite guests and in some cases only higher ends suites. So you can imagine an area (which includes a smaller pool, hot tubs, sun decks, eating areas) only available to very limited number of guests. This is a huge benefit for NCL in my opinion and one of the reason I like their ships.

Right now, RCI having the restaurants and drinks included as part of Star Class is an advantage.

The big thing with NCL is the Haven area which is only accessible by suite guests and in some cases only higher ends suites. So you can imagine an area (which includes a smaller pool, hot tubs, sun decks, eating areas) only available to very limited number of guests. This is a huge benefit for NCL in my opinion and one of the reason I like their ships.

Did you cruise Haven and how did you like it?

Edited by FM