Do You Have Any Idea?

We have two questions that we don't recall ever seeing addressed on these boards. Possibly they have been, but we did not find it in doing a search on our own.

1. If ordering room service during breakfast hours, are you limited to only breakfast items? Much of their room service breakfast food we don't care for and would rather have a sandwich for breakfast. Is it possible? And if so, could we just write that on our breakfast door hanger the night before?

2. If choosing to carry off our own luggage on disembarkation day, are we limited to only certain times? Usually self assist is called first, meaning you have to get up with the chickens. We're not early morning people and would prefer to disembark later if that's possible.

We'd appreciate hearing from anyone "in the know" about these two areas. Thank you!

We did self assist once, and ignored the early morning call to get off the ship so we could sleep in and hang out with some new friends we met onboard. They let us off because they had to, but they were mad that we still had our luggage and were trying to get off with the people who had no luggage.

It didn't cause an issue and we were fast enough not to back up traffic, but I can see how it could make disembarkation more difficult if a lot of people tried to do that at the same time, so that's probably why they don't like when people do it. I don't think it's against the rules though.

Not sure about your first question, although I'm pretty sure there are only breakfast items on the door hanger.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have two questions that we don't recall ever seeing addressed on these boards. Possibly they have been, but we did not find it in doing a search on our own.

1. If ordering room service during breakfast hours, are you limited to only breakfast items? Much of their room service breakfast food we don't care for and would rather have a sandwich for breakfast. Is it possible? And if so, could we just write that on our breakfast door hanger the night before?

Some ships will allow you to write in other breakfast items that are not printed on the hang tag, but I don't think that they are equipped to handle food not currently being served for breakfast SOMEWHERE on the ship. I therefore believe that the answer to your question is "no", no sandwiches for breakfast.

If you are utterly determined, you could take zip lock bags with you on your cruise, and take some stuff from the Windjammer the day before and put them in your cabin refrigerator and make your own sandwich in the morning.

2. If choosing to carry off our own luggage on disembarkation day, are we limited to only certain times? Usually self assist is called first, meaning you have to get up with the chickens. We're not early morning people and would prefer to disembark later if that's possible.

We'd appreciate hearing from anyone "in the know" about these two areas. Thank you!

They expect you to use the program as described: If you want to carry off your own luggage, it is assumed that you wish to depart expeditiously. If you want to linger on board, it is assumed that you are willing to wait until your bags have been carried off the ship by the ship's personnel.

As mentioned above, you "gum up the works" if you are dragging multiple large bags among people who are merely trying to walk without impediments.

Will they stop you? No. Will you get some dirty looks from the people whom you bang with your bags? Probably.

:)

Please consider that you have to vacant your cabin at a certain time ( 8 am in most cases I believe). This would make it very uncomfortable if you have your luggage with you but want to depart later.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Please consider that you have to vacate your cabin at a certain time ( 8 a.m. in most cases I believe). This would make it very uncomfortable if you have your luggage with you but want to depart later.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Excellent point.

You should be able to order anything from the 24hr room service menu. Try wring it in on the door tag - if it does not arrive call & order.

We always carry on & off - one bag and purse for me bag & backpack for DH. We have done this for 20 years and are very adept at it No way am I ending my vacation by getting up with the chickens. We get up and get everything packed & ready to take - we will store the bags in the closet and let room steward know they can strip the room we will come & pick up bags after we eat. Never has been a problem.

You can only order breakfast items between 6am and 11am - they do not make sandwiches etc. before 11am - they will refuse your order.

We tried that many times but their galley is not set up to do anything other than breakfast in the morning....

I have been known to start taking my last shower @ 7:45 ish am. I go to the gym(when open), have breakfast, then come back to the room. We just drag out bags out when ever we feel like it.

We have never been given dirty looks or reprimanded. I also make sure to leave a little extra for the stateroom attendant. Just do you. It will be fine.

Since I'm the worst morning person there is, I've tried to figure out the best way for me over the years. You can almost always stay in your cabin until 8:30 and sometimes 8:45 if your steward is understanding. And if you have self disembark you can get off at anytime. But yeah, if you have a steamer trunk of luggage you are gumming up the works.

That said - in the last 2 years I've just bitten the bullet and make sure I'm off before 8. You get through the terminal exponentially faster, cab or car faster - and home to nap faster :)

Edited by MattInFLL

I have been known to start taking my last shower @ 7:45 ish am. I go to the gym(when open), have breakfast, then come back to the room. We just drag out bags out when ever we feel like it.

We have never been given dirty looks or reprimanded. I also make sure to leave a little extra for the stateroom attendant. Just do you. It will be fine.

Not that we have ever stayed on long enough in the morning to find out, but I didn't realize that the gym was open on the morning of disembarkation. Has this been the case on all your cruises?