SEPTEMBER in Alaska: clothing needed??

hersheysowner

Would love feedback on this. We'll be on the ship for three days, then 10 days of land excursions--all in the first two weeks of September. I'm only taking jeans, plus mostly long sleeved cotton knit shirts that I'll just pull up on my arm. I'll have two lightweight coats to layer as needed.

Am I thinking right on clothing??

AK weather is unpredictable, especially in May and Sep. On our mid-Sep CruiseTour we had a balmy mid-70's day in Fairbanks followed by snow and freezing rain the next day in Denali. The rest of the week was mostly cool/cold and rainy, but mild and sunny in Ketchikan. Hats and gloves were needed in Glacier Bay.

One HAL captain says in AK you can have all four seasons in one day. :)

Edited by jtl513

Whenever I go on a cool weather cruise I always wish I'd brought warmer clothes. Last July I was glad I had a hat and gloves for glacier cruising. It will be cold if you are taking any water excursions to see glaciers or whale watching. You can't predict weather, but you can predict that wind over the glaciers will be cold. It's likely you'll have some rain and should prepare for that. I'm cruising to Alaska mid-September and I'll be taking a packable down jacket (one of those new kind that compact to a small bag), hat, gloves, rain poncho, rain hat, hoodie sweatshirt and lightweight fleece jacket. I am bringing jeans, but I'm also bringing some short pants and short sleeve t-shirts in case it's warm in the beginning and end of the cruise. Sometimes you have snow in September and sometimes you have balmy warm weather. I'll probably look at the weather forecast right before I finish packing just in case I want to switch some things out.

Whenever I go on a cool weather cruise I always wish I'd brought warmer clothes. Last July I was glad I had a hat and gloves for glacier cruising. It will be cold if you are taking any water excursions to see glaciers or whale watching. You can't predict weather, but you can predict that wind over the glaciers will be cold. It's likely you'll have some rain and should prepare for that. I'm cruising to Alaska mid-September and I'll be taking a packable down jacket (one of those new kind that compact to a small bag), hat, gloves, rain poncho, rain hat, hoodie sweatshirt and lightweight fleece jacket. I am bringing jeans, but I'm also bringing some short pants and short sleeve t-shirts in case it's warm in the beginning and end of the cruise. Sometimes you have snow in September and sometimes you have balmy warm weather. I'll probably look at the weather forecast right before I finish packing just in case I want to switch some things out.

Well, this tells me I need a warmer coat!! I was bringing a lightweight blue jean coat and a lightweight hoodie coat. Probably not enough. I do have a good raincoat, thank goodness. Thank u.

We took our Gortex coats that have zippered linings all the times we have cruised Alaska -- including in September.

Gloves, hat and water proof shoes -- also small portable umbrellas.

Good advice. This is exactly what we wore and it worked perfectly. Hats, gloves, socks, and closed toed shoes were also a necessity when we cruised Alaska in Sept.

We have cruised Alaska twice, both July/August. One time we wore shorts etc. and needed to buy sunscreen. The other time we wore the sweatshirt/jackets we had brought, and needed to buy toques and gloves. You never know!

Never thought of hats and gloves. Wow. Thank u.

Good advice. This is exactly what we wore and it worked perfectly. Hats, gloves, socks, and closed toed shoes were also a necessity when we cruised Alaska in Sept.

In August I wore a fur trimmed hat & gloves but forgot my scarf.. My neck was very cold, so bought a scarf on board HAL.. Also wore short boots with heavy socks & long silk underwear.. I wore a rain jacket with a removable lining & DH wore a long leather jacket with a removable lining.. Both of us had jeans, good sweaters & sweatshirts..Layers was the best way to dress..

Correction: DH wore a heavy jacket which was sold by our tour operator, not his leather jacket..He wore his leather jacket when we went to Antarctica.. I also took a heavy vest with me..Some days we peeled off a layer.. Be sure your ears are covered too..

Edited by serendipity1499

For gloves I have a pair of waterproof neoprene fishing gloves with grippy texture on the palm side. Keeps the hands warm enough and out of the wind but allows operating a camera or other manual tasks without taking them off.

The key is not so much really cold temps but wind and wet plus cool temps. But cold is relative and after 35 years of Minnesota winters anything above 0°F is jacket weather. Someone from a warmer climate might have a different opinion. ;)

I am always amazed how much ear muffs break the chill and wind for me without wearing a hat. - I always keep a pair of those small "Ear Pops" ear coverings in my jacket pockets. And a neck gaiter. I always carry long silk underwear on every trip.

Can't believe how many times I had to use all of them in unexpected places. Like overly chilled A/C rooms in very hot climates or cold snaps that suddenly move in when not seasonally anticipated. Snow in Austria in August? Freezing rain in India in January?

Edited by OlsSalt

For a cruise going into cooler country, I always pack a wool sweater, preferably a Shetland wool. I don't pack coats or heavy clothes, because the sweater works just fine under a good windbreak jacket. Instead of a hat, I have a wool scarve which keeps my head warm on deck. Gloves yes, take an umbrella for tours, and sturdy shoes. I have wooley boots now, but always just used tennie runners before. Long sleeve polos are comfortable with or without the sweater, and silk long johns which can be used to sleep in also. I pack quite light for Alaska and always am comfortable with the above. I usually travel Alaska in September and have had all kinds of weather, however for the most part -- pretty good. Some of the shops on land have hats, some a bit crazy; it might be fun to find one as a trip souvenir, and to also keep warm.

Marianne

• 2 weeks later...

Well everyone, we're halfway through the land tour--have been to Juneau, then Skagway, then Whitehorse, then Dawson City...and definitely needed my medium down coat for a lot of it if I was going to walk anywhere. It wasn't miserably cold...just needed the coat for comfort.

I never needed to add the lightweight hoodie I took for under the down coat, but glad I have it, just in case.

And I'm VERY glad I had the raincoat, as in Juneau and Skagway...lots of drizzle rain.

It got in the upper 20's at night in Dawson City on Sept. 9th and 10th.

Well everyone, we're halfway through the land tour--have been to Juneau, then Skagway, then Whitehorse, then Dawson City...and definitely needed my medium down coat for a lot of it if I was going to walk anywhere. It wasn't miserably cold...just needed the coat for comfort.

I never needed to add the lightweight hoodie I took for under the down coat, but glad I have it, just in case.

And I'm VERY glad I had the raincoat, as in Juneau and Skagway...lots of drizzle rain.

It got in the upper 20's at night in Dawson City on Sept. 9th and 10th.

Oww..That's cold! But hope you are having a ball & enjoying Alaska..Thanks for reporting in..

Take care, stay well, & warm..