pit stop BTV - CHS

LPYRCRUISER

I know, a little odd, but I thought I might find some suggestions here. DD is traveling with her family, DH and 4 kids ages 18 mo - 9 to Charleston in late February. She's wondering where a good place might be to break up the trip. DC area would be about half way. Considering the time of year and ages of her kids if there might be some other places near by that might be good to hang out for a day.

I know, a little odd, but I thought I might find some suggestions here. DD is traveling with her family, DH and 4 kids ages 18 mo - 9 to Charleston in late February. She's wondering where a good place might be to break up the trip. DC area would be about half way. Considering the time of year and ages of her kids if there might be some other places near by that might be good to hang out for a day.

So are you looking for suggestions in DC or Charleston?

In the DC ish area. it's an 18 hour drive. they want to split it up. they could do 12 hours if there was something the kids would enjoy that far along in the trip.

My hope that some one who drives the I-95 corridor (snowbirds) may know of a great spot for a day with some activities for little ones.

I understand that being late February, the beach probably won't cut it.

Avoid DC like nobody's business. Take I-87 down to 287 to 78 to 81 through PA and VA to I-77 to I-26. Its about an hour longer (in theory) but incredibly less stressful than NY-Baltimore-Washington and toll-free after you leave New York. My father drove from VT to FL every year and this is the route he took to join I-95 in SC.

Anywhere along 81 in VA should have reasonably priced lodging (Hampton, Super 8, etc).

Edited by Underwatr

I agree with the previous poster about avoiding the Washington Baltimore corridor if you're only going to do one day there. The horrendous traffic will take most of your time.

If you're going down I-81 and your kids are into history, there is Monticello in Charlottesville VA on I-64. It's Thomas Jefferson's stately mansion. You can use I-64 as a cut back to I-95 and you've avoided the tolls. Or take 81 to 77 as suggested.

If you're looking for a hotel as a stopping point and want to save money, I recommend you stop at the state welcome center as you enter on the interstate. They have hotel booklets that list unsold prices along the way by interstate exits. That will be cheaper than pre-booking a motel or walking in the door without the fixed price ad. You can actually call the phone number in the ad to reserve that day you're going to arrive to inquire since they only sell a limited number of rooms at that price based upon availability.

That's if you're looking to save money along the interstates. Another alternative is to use the hotel as just a sleeping place and spend the extra time in Charleston where there is a lot of things for kids to do. There's a Children's museum downtown, an Aquarium and horse drawn carriage tours. Just to mention a few.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

As someone who drives up and down the east coast on a regular basis. I would look for hotels on both routes, but wait until last minute to actually decide. You are looking at Feb and there could be a major snowstorm on I81 and I95 could be clear. You also didn't say what days of the week this trip will be taken. Weekends in Feb are really not that big of a deal on the I95 corridor (once you get south of the Philly area)

You can avoid the tolls on I95 easy. All you need to do is jump on I83 in Harrisburg Pa and take it to Baltimore and take the loop around the west side of Baltimore and you avoid all the tolls. (the last tolls are the tunnel or the bridge on the east side of Baltimore). Of course I95 (the actual road) sucks in SC as it is rough as heck. 77/26 are actually pretty decent.