Wi-Fi

Riocca

It was a reliable source near the top, backed up by the max speed given on the login page being at 1Gb. Problem still lies with the ship infrastructure, I know a lot of new cabling was installed in January as we watched it being worked on but there are still compatibility issues apparently.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Voom was pretty much as quick as home, even when I was up in the air on North Star. Very impressive.

Voom was pretty much as quick as home, even when I was up in the air on North Star. Very impressive.

We experienced it on Ovation and Harmony and as you say it's as good as at home. Azamara are hoping to have the same, we found signal in the cabin was excellent now with the new repeaters, in January the one near our cabin was still being installed so I was pleased to see how well it worked.

As for actual Internet speeds, fingers crossed that they can actually achieve the speeds planned, when we left the ship the trial had been underway for 11 days and there was no speed increase in that period.

Hopefully someone onboard now can keep us updated.

We experienced it on Ovation and Harmony and as you say it's as good as at home. Azamara are hoping to have the same, we found signal in the cabin was excellent now with the new repeaters, in January the one near our cabin was still being installed so I was pleased to see how well it worked.

As for actual Internet speeds, fingers crossed that they can actually achieve the speeds planned, when we left the ship the trial had been underway for 11 days and there was no speed increase in that period.

Hopefully someone onboard now can keep us updated.

Managing expectations I just don't think they'll get there. I'm not tech savvy, but don't think the investment is there on Azamara to get it Voom level. I will say that this year on Azamara it's been fine for me though.

Managing expectations I just don't think they'll get there. I'm not tech savvy, but don't think the investment is there on Azamara to get it Voom level. I will say that this year on Azamara it's been fine for me though.

Not Tech Savvy Phil? Of course you are....You are just being your usual modest self. ;)

Depends what infrastructure has been purchased or loaned for trial. Like most things in technology perceived speed is only as good as the weakest component.

Don't see why Azamara couldn't replicate Voom speeds, most expensive element will be satellite backhaul which has become more cost effective over the past 5 years.

No idea what demand profile would be on a cruise ship but guessing 80 staterooms and 10 access points per deck (for Quest), uplinks to core switches would happily run up to 1Gb over older structured cabling. So even at 75% concurrency across a deck (assuming 1 device per stateroom) each user would have access to over 150Mb of capacity local to the ship.

I know I wasn't seeing that last week so assumption is that satellite backhaul is a fraction of concurrent required demand. Maybe stating the obvious here! Assuming RCI buy bandwidth wholesale across entire fleet, the bottle neck will be how much they are willing to allocate to Azamara Journey because peak usage is driven by concurrency and number of users it just may not be cost effective i.e. it would be too expensive per passenger - 600 vs 5000 will massively scew average Mb usage per passenger.

Depends what infrastructure has been purchased or loaned for trial. Like most things in technology perceived speed is only as good as the weakest component.

Don't see why Azamara couldn't replicate Voom speeds, most expensive element will be satellite backhaul which has become more cost effective over the past 5 years.

No idea what demand profile would be on a cruise ship but guessing 80 staterooms and 10 access points per deck (for Quest), uplinks to core switches would happily run up to 1Gb over older structured cabling. So even at 75% concurrency across a deck (assuming 1 device per stateroom) each user would have access to over 150Mb of capacity local to the ship.

I know I wasn't seeing that last week so assumption is that satellite backhaul is a fraction of concurrent required demand. Maybe stating the obvious here! Assuming RCI buy bandwidth wholesale across entire fleet, the bottle neck will be how much they are willing to allocate to Azamara Journey because peak usage is driven by concurrency and number of users it just may not be cost effective i.e. it would be too expensive per passenger - 600 vs 5000 will massively scew average Mb usage per passenger.

As I said I'm not tech savvy so you lost me after the first paragraph! Lol. All I know is I was on Journey for last November's transatlantic when they were putting cabling in for the new internet and talking to the IT guys they said to me it was going to be better, but not Voom standard.