connection time Delta LIS to ATL

Pearl64

I am trying to use miles for business class next May flying Delta from Lisbon to Atlanta. I am looking at a Saturday. Flights that come up are horrible connection times like a little over an hour in AMS and LHR. I know those won't work even though Delta will claim it is a legal connection. I have found one that has a 2 hour connect time in AMS. This would be on KLM. Then we fly to LHR on KLM. Then we fly to ATL where we have a 3.45 hour layover(at LHR). Are these enough time?The interEurope flights are on KLM and the one leaving LHR is on Delta. Does the fact we are flying Business make a difference? The last time we ended in LHR it took us 3 hours at customs. Would we just go through security in AMS an LHR and customs just in Atlanta? Not sure with EU thing. If I need to be stranded I would rather it be in the US and not over the pond.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Let's try to deal with this piece by piece.

I am trying to use miles for business class next May flying Delta from Lisbon to Atlanta. I am looking at a Saturday.
First rule - be flexible. Can you leave the next day?
Flights that come up are horrible connection times like a little over an hour in AMS and LHR. I know those won't work even though Delta will claim it is a legal connection. I have found one that has a 2 hour connect time in AMS. This would be on KLM.
I would be more comfortable at AMS over CDG for an hour connect. The two hours at AMS is more than enough assuming normal operations and even slight delays. Nothing covers complete system collapse or major maintenance problems.
Then we fly to LHR on KLM. Then we fly to ATL where we have a 3.45 hour layover(at LHR). Are these enough time?
Assume that your syntax means that the 3.5 hour conenct is in London. If so, that is plenty of time there.
The interEurope flights are on KLM and the one leaving LHR is on Delta. Does the fact we are flying Business make a difference?
In many airports, there are fast track/priority lanes for security and/or immigration which your business class ticket would allow access. Don't have the time to research, but check airport websites.
The last time we ended in LHR it took us 3 hours at customs.
No customs or immigration at LHR. You would have outward immigration at AMS. You are a transit passenger at LHR.
Would we just go through security in AMS an LHR and customs just in Atlanta?
Security at LIS, not at AMS, security at LHR. Outbound Schengen at AMS. Inbound USA customs and immigration (not the same things) at ATL.
Not sure with EU thing. If I need to be stranded I would rather it be in the US and not over the pond.
Absolutely no rational reason to feel that way. Being "stranded" at AMS or LHR would still give you many ways to get home. It's not like you would be trying to get back from BFE or somewhere that only has one flight a week. Plus, I would gladly be stranded at LHR on your routing - I could live in the VS Clubhouse (where there is great food and awesome bartenders!!)

Thanks for the replies. Flights kept disappearing so I called Delta. By leaving the following Tuesday I got flights to my home airport. That eliminates the three hour drive from Atlanta after a long flight. Yes, there are longer connect times but I eliminated one leg with this routing: LIS-AMS-DTW-GSP. Yes, I realize that LHR might be more attractive than Detroit but it gets us closer to home and all on business class. Yes, I know the last leg is on a little plane so no real business class.

Absolutely no rational reason to feel that way. Being "stranded" at AMS or LHR would still give/ you many ways to get home. It's not like you would be trying to get back from BFE or somewhere that only has one flight a week. Plus, I would gladly be stranded at LHR on your routing - I could live in the VS Clubhouse (where there is great food and awesome bartenders!!)
I would much rather be stranded in the EU on an EU carrier.
Definitely better to be stranded in the EU. Leaving aside the Clubhouse, AMS would have the advantage that everyone there speaks better English than at LHR or, I reckon, most of the US.