Mitsugirlys FASCINATION with San Juan-review & pictorial

mitsugirly

Awesome review! Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough and beautiful trip report. I've been trying to decide which itinerary to go with on my next cruise and you have made my mind up for me! :)

Thanks for commenting and glad you enjoyed it to the point that you decided this on your next cruise. It's just an amazing time and we absolutely loved this cruise!

Had a question about this itinerary...since it departs out of PR, I presume it's possible to board the ship, drop stuff off at the room, and then promptly turn around and leave the ship to wander around SJ?

Absolutely! That's what our plans were going to be but my daughter that flew in that same day was very tired and didn't want to get back off the ship and it was just so darn hot that we decided not to get off as well. But yes, you definitely can drop your things off, grab a bite to eat, and head back off the ship. :)

When we got back and gathered our things, we decided to move to the other side for the rest of the day. This would be the picture I sent back to friends and family at home.

PHONE%20DAY%202%20copy-L.jpg

P8171971%20copy-L.jpg

P8171973%20copy-L.jpg

We were ready for a drink

P8171830%20copy-L.jpg

P8171831%20copy-L.jpg

Then of course we would find out that there is a limited amount of drinks to pick from

This would be my pick of course

P8171975%20copy-L.jpg

Did you just leave your things on the beach? What did you mean by move to the other side?

Did you just leave your things on the beach? What did you mean by move to the other side?

We were originally on the "other side" of the dock (to the left when looking out at the water) and when we went to do the swim with the turtles, we took our things up to the building (where they watch your things while you are out on the boat) and when we returned, we decided to move to the other side (of the dock). :)

• 2 weeks later...
We headed inside, got in line and went right up to the counter where we checked in and handed them our numerous gift cards. We always get someone that doesn't know how to do this and has to be shown by someone else there...which takes time. They need a training class on this for ALL employees is my opinion.

They handed us our cards and we were headed to the ship.

I think the kids were excited.

P8151036%20copy-L.jpg

Here we go...excitement!

P8151037%20copy-L.jpg

P8151038%20copy-L.jpg

Ok, so I'm really late on this review. Always love your reviews, so I'm working my way through it! haha

My last cruise on the Magic, i had like $800 in gift cards to put on our account. the lady had no clue how to do it and told me to do it at guest services on the ship. I said no, i want this taken care of now before i step foot not that ship as i don't want to spend the first hour of my vacation in customer service line! She had to get a manager and after about 25 min was able to get the gift cards on the account. She kept trying to get me to do it on the ship and i refused lol. She was very nice about it, but i put my foot down not that one and was not leaving her desk until they got it straightened out. Why is it so hard to use gift cards?!?

P8171951%20copy-L.jpg

I did this same itinerary on the Valor a few years ago. I LOVED the boatyard and seeing the turtles was probably one of my main highlights of the cruise. You got so close to them and they were beautiful. The beach at the boatyard is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. I have some great pics in my Valor review if you want to check them out. Loving the review! (I know I'm a few months late haha)

someone may have already asked, but what kind of camera are you using for your underwater pix? cruising again in November and looking for my first underwater camera. :)

Mel

I always list my camera information in the very first post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=50908497&postcount=1

However, I wanted to add that I have added another Olympus Tough camera to my line up and it has become my #1 camera to use. I got the TG4 and it is AMAZING! So many awesome settings and you can also add lens to it (bought me a fisheye to go with it). If you are going to invest on an awesome all around pocket camera, go for the TG4! Seriously! (My recent Epic review was done with this camera and although I'm still learning to work it, I was very impressed with what it can do). :)

Ok, so I'm really late on this review. Always love your reviews, so I'm working my way through it! haha

My last cruise on the Magic, i had like $800 in gift cards to put on our account. the lady had no clue how to do it and told me to do it at guest services on the ship. I said no, i want this taken care of now before i step foot not that ship as i don't want to spend the first hour of my vacation in customer service line! She had to get a manager and after about 25 min was able to get the gift cards on the account. She kept trying to get me to do it on the ship and i refused lol. She was very nice about it, but i put my foot down not that one and was not leaving her desk until they got it straightened out. Why is it so hard to use gift cards?!?

It's funny because we have been doing the gift card thing now for awhile and most don't seem to know how to do it, but they always find someone to help them out to put them in. I have never been told to do it on board yet. I do believe that you can use the kiosk to put them on your account as well (I think I read that). So I would do that before going to customer service (since there probably isn't going to be anyone at them on the first day).

I did this same itinerary on the Valor a few years ago. I LOVED the boatyard and seeing the turtles was probably one of my main highlights of the cruise. You got so close to them and they were beautiful. The beach at the boatyard is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. I have some great pics in my Valor review if you want to check them out. Loving the review! (I know I'm a few months late haha)

Yea, we loved going to see the turtles. The Boatyard was beautiful as well. Although I like to experience different places each time we go, I plan on trying a new place next time to compare. :D

Glad you are loving the review. Better late than never. :p

I always list my camera information in the very first post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=50908497&postcount=1

However, I wanted to add that I have added another Olympus Tough camera to my line up and it has become my #1 camera to use. I got the TG4 and it is AMAZING! So many awesome settings and you can also add lens to it (bought me a fisheye to go with it). If you are going to invest on an awesome all around pocket camera, go for the TG4! Seriously! (My recent Epic review was done with this camera and although I'm still learning to work it, I was very impressed with what it can do). :)

It's funny because we have been doing the gift card thing now for awhile and most don't seem to know how to do it, but they always find someone to help them out to put them in. I have never been told to do it on board yet. I do believe that you can use the kiosk to put them on your account as well (I think I read that). So I would do that before going to customer service (since there probably isn't going to be anyone at them on the first day).

Lol, that makes sense, I have new post listed first and sometimes don't make it to the initial pages. I came to this one through a link to the middle of the review (TURTLES!)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lol, that makes sense, I have new post listed first and sometimes don't make it to the initial pages. I came to this one through a link to the middle of the review (TURTLES!)

Oh ok. Gotcha. No problem. I just thought I would mention it in case you ever read any of the other reviews, to let you know it's always on the first post. :) But definitely check out the tg4

Oh ok. Gotcha. No problem. I just thought I would mention it in case you ever read any of the other reviews, to let you know it's always on the first post. :) But definitely check out the tg4

Just looked at some of your pics in the epic review... Great! Is the time lapse and video done with the tg4 as well? (Love the time lapse!)

Just looked at some of your pics in the epic review... Great! Is the time lapse and video done with the tg4 as well? (Love the time lapse!)

Yep, everything you see posted is done with it. That's another neat feature of the tg4, the time lapse is also new. Another thing I really like about this camera too is the macro. My other two cameras have a macro button BUT...I wouldn't consider it an actual "true macro" feature. It more or less is a "zoom". The tg4 however...you can get right up on the subject almost touching it and there's no issues trying to focus, excellent bokeh and amazing pics. I'm going to have to remember this feature on my next cruise and use it more often (especially when snorkeling or diving).

In case you missed this pic...

PB182327%20copy-L.jpg

Yep, everything you see posted is done with it. That's another neat feature of the tg4, the time lapse is also new. Another thing I really like about this camera too is the macro. My other two cameras have a macro button BUT...I wouldn't consider it an actual "true macro" feature. It more or less is a "zoom". The tg4 however...you can get right up on the subject almost touching it and there's no issues trying to focus, excellent bokeh and amazing pics. I'm going to have to remember this feature on my next cruise and use it more often (especially when snorkeling or diving).

In case you missed this pic...

PB182327%20copy-L.jpg

Wow, great macro! I have a Canon PowerShot that is an older model (like five or six years old) but I've been looking for something smaller and waterproof. Now I need to browse eBay and see what kind of deal I can find ;)

What photo editing program do you use? I saw your light edited photos and it makes a really big difference!

Mel

Wow, great macro! I have a Canon PowerShot that is an older model (like five or six years old) but I've been looking for something smaller and waterproof. Now I need to browse eBay and see what kind of deal I can find ;)

What photo editing program do you use? I saw your light edited photos and it makes a really big difference!

Mel

Yes, definitely try ebay. I just bought an "extra" camera for Sakari for Christmas and even though it's only the model 620, I was able to get it for $145 (and they go for around $300 I think???). So if you look long enough, you may find a great deal on them.

Which "light edited" photos are you referring to? I usually don't edit photos. I do have an "action" in PS that I just press a button and it resizes the picture and saves for web (which sharpens for web) and then I add my stamp and I'm done. Nobody has time for editing the amount of pictures I take for reviews. :p But if you are referring to a certain picture that I may have said I did something to, let me know and I can be more specific because it might actually be something the camera does. :)

Yes, definitely try ebay. I just bought an "extra" camera for Sakari for Christmas and even though it's only the model 620, I was able to get it for $145 (and they go for around $300 I think???). So if you look long enough, you may find a great deal on them.

Which "light edited" photos are you referring to? I usually don't edit photos. I do have an "action" in PS that I just press a button and it resizes the picture and saves for web (which sharpens for web) and then I add my stamp and I'm done. Nobody has time for editing the amount of pictures I take for reviews. [emoji14] But if you are referring to a certain picture that I may have said I did something to, let me know and I can be more specific because it might actually be something the camera does. :)

It was where you had the side by side pictures, with one dark and the other much lighter...

It was where you had the side by side pictures, with one dark and the other much lighter...

I remember something about that...but I do so many reviews and so many pictures, I don't recall which ones they were and what port. Give me a hint, link, page, port, beach and I can look it up. :D

I remember something about that...but I do so many reviews and so many pictures, I don't recall which ones they were and what port. Give me a hint, link, page, port, beach and I can look it up. :D

I'm pretty sure it was in your epic review with the tg4....From October I think?

I'm pretty sure it was in your epic review with the tg4....From October I think?

Oh ok, that would be the scuba diving at Coki in St Thomas.

Here's the link that showed those comparisons and what I did.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51663577&postcount=424

Oh ok, that would be the scuba diving at Coki in St Thomas.

Here's the link that showed those comparisons and what I did.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51663577&postcount=424

Yup that's the one! So if I read it right, you adjusted the light exposure on the camera?

Yup that's the one! So if I read it right, you adjusted the light exposure on the camera?

No, that was done in PS after I got home and was not pleased with how dark the photos were. You CAN do it in the camera though. It was my first time using this camera and having the fish eye lens on it and I didn't think to up the exposure because of the circumstances (going deeper into the water, no sun out, and having the extended lens on it). Next time I will know to adjust the camera. The tg4 is just like a DSLR in many ways: it can shoot in RAW and you can do editing once you download the pics and make them into JPEG, and you can also dial in your aperture (f stops) priority, exposure composition and ISO. By adjusting these settings, you can make the pictures come out lighter (or darker) depending on your situation and I did not take that into consideration that day. There is also multiple settings under the "fish" (underwater) mode that helps you adjust white balance and so on. This camera just does so much.

No, that was done in PS after I got home and was not pleased with how dark the photos were. You CAN do it in the camera though. It was my first time using this camera and having the fish eye lens on it and I didn't think to up the exposure because of the circumstances (going deeper into the water, no sun out, and having the extended lens on it). Next time I will know to adjust the camera. The tg4 is just like a DSLR in many ways: it can shoot in RAW and you can do editing once you download the pics and make them into JPEG, and you can also dial in your aperture (f stops) priority, exposure composition and ISO. By adjusting these settings, you can make the pictures come out lighter (or darker) depending on your situation and I did not take that into consideration that day. There is also multiple settings under the "fish" (underwater) mode that helps you adjust white balance and so on. This camera just does so much.

PS is Photoshop, right? :)

I'm looking at one on ebay right now, if I don't win it in the auction there is a buy it now for 299. Much better than the 379 retail. My next cruise isn't until November, but I would like time to play with the settings and be familiar with it by then.

So I'm a total novice when it comes to snorkeling, but your pictures have convinced me to try on our upcoming Fascination cruise. Help me out.. do you use flippers/fins much? We're going to the same places you did and wondering if we'd use them much? Just wondered what your experience is and if we should get them or skip... thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

PS is Photoshop, right? :)

I'm looking at one on ebay right now, if I don't win it in the auction there is a buy it now for 299. Much better than the 379 retail. My next cruise isn't until November, but I would like time to play with the settings and be familiar with it by then.

Yes, that is correct. There's all kinds of programs you can use if you are looking to actually edit the pictures. Photoshop and Lightroom are the 2 biggies most use and both have wonderful features and also actions that you can use as well depending on what you are looking for (and if you are just looking to correct a few pictures). I like using it because it's so much easier to take all the pictures into PS and resize them all at once and not have to do them one by one. It saves me a ton of work just for that feature alone.

Good luck on finding you a camera. :)

So I'm a total novice when it comes to snorkeling, but your pictures have convinced me to try on our upcoming Fascination cruise. Help me out.. do you use flippers/fins much? We're going to the same places you did and wondering if we'd use them much? Just wondered what your experience is and if we should get them or skip... thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have the short travel fins, snorkel, mask and I also have dive socks. :D I just recently upgraded my mask to an actual scuba mask. But, my original equipment is from Aqua Lung and I purchased it as a set.

diva.package.hotpink.lg_grande.jpg?v=1453089691

You don't necessarily have to buy your own, but if you plan on doing a lot of snorkeling and if you cruise a lot or go to ports with snorkeling (as we do), then it might be better to have your own and not put out all the money to rent each time.

I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS take my mask and snorkel with me. No matter what beach, no matter if it's just a sandy bottom beach, no matter if I'm told 100 times on here "there's no snorkeling there" because I can guarantee you'll see something and about 99.9% of the time, with me, I have managed to see something I've never seen before while snorkeling. So, I don't ever chance it.

Depending on what beaches you might go to will depend on whether or not it's beneficial to take the fins.

Yes, that is correct. There's all kinds of programs you can use if you are looking to actually edit the pictures. Photoshop and Lightroom are the 2 biggies most use and both have wonderful features and also actions that you can use as well depending on what you are looking for (and if you are just looking to correct a few pictures). I like using it because it's so much easier to take all the pictures into PS and resize them all at once and not have to do them one by one. It saves me a ton of work just for that feature alone.

Good luck on finding you a camera. :)

We have the short travel fins, snorkel, mask and I also have dive socks. :D I just recently upgraded my mask to an actual scuba mask. But, my original equipment is from Aqua Lung and I purchased it as a set.

diva.package.hotpink.lg_grande.jpg?v=1453089691

You don't necessarily have to buy your own, but if you plan on doing a lot of snorkeling and if you cruise a lot or go to ports with snorkeling (as we do), then it might be better to have your own and not put out all the money to rent each time.

I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS take my mask and snorkel with me. No matter what beach, no matter if it's just a sandy bottom beach, no matter if I'm told 100 times on here "there's no snorkeling there" because I can guarantee you'll see something and about 99.9% of the time, with me, I have managed to see something I've never seen before while snorkeling. So, I don't ever chance it.

Depending on what beaches you might go to will depend on whether or not it's beneficial to take the fins.

Hey, awesome review. Any links to what you bought for a dive mask? I'm going in August with my kids and I have been looking at a lot of snorkel sets. I've searched dive masks but there are so many and it's hard to decide. Hoping to keep under $50 for the masks but I'll look at better if there is significant quality differences.