Beverage Package Wines

AceVancouver

Looking for 2016 info on wines and prices on Riviera. Can't seem to find any recent info on what wines might be included in the Prestige and House packages. If it is worth it to get a package instead of the 7 bottle package or just going by the glass? We tend to have wine with most meals and cocktails occasionally but on a cruise we tend to do more.

The Preisman's blog have prices from March this yr so should give you a general idea of prices for your drink of choice

http://www.thepreismans.com/riviera16_menus.htm#main_bar

Of course prices are always subject to change

More pertinent to the original inquiry, Both Oceania Beverage Packages include any wine which the ship is selling by the glass.

The difference between the two Packages being:

A) The House Package offers Beer &/or Wine Service only during luncheon and dinner.

B) The Prestige Package is virtually run of the house at any hour that any Bar is open on the ship.

So at dinner, when you want a refill, they bring you another glass? I suppose wine by the glass means you can have white with a starter, red with a main etc.

YES that is correct

I realize this does not directly answer your question, but due to the restriction of lunch and dinner only, and the everyday nature of the obligation, we had decided to go with the Oceania "Wine by the bottle" feature of 7 bottles @ $47.50 each, gratuity included. However, when I looked up the retail price for previous offerings in that package, they are $10 - $15 bottles. Hardly seems a bargain @ $47.50/bottle.

Have decided to bring on the 3 bottles allowed (stateroom only) and purchase wine by the glass as required at meals.

Two questions,

1. If we decide to go with the "Wine by the bottle"feature, will they deliver these to you in common areas and your stateroom or are they meals only as well?

2. Unclear by Oceania website, can you bring on board 3 bottles at embarkation only, or at each port as well?

Thanks (first time on a cruise so I appreciate your being gentle).

I realize this does not directly answer your question, but due to the restriction of lunch and dinner only, and the everyday nature of the obligation, we had decided to go with the Oceania "Wine by the bottle" feature of 7 bottles @ $47.50 each, gratuity included. However, when I looked up the retail price for previous offerings in that package, they are $10 - $15 bottles. Hardly seems a bargain @ $47.50/bottle.

Have decided to bring on the 3 bottles allowed (stateroom only) and purchase wine by the glass as required at meals.

Two questions,

1. If we decide to go with the "Wine by the bottle"feature, will they deliver these to you in common areas and your stateroom or are they meals only as well?

2. Unclear by Oceania website, can you bring on board 3 bottles at embarkation only, or at each port as well?

Bring on all you want, anywhere you want. The 3 bottles is just the official line, reality is they don't care.

While your plan to bring on your bottles is more cost efficient and one I'd agree with it's never really fair to compare onboard prices with retail ones. Just like a nice restaurant, expect 2 to 3 times markup.

The math is simple here for Oceania.

A $15 bottle of wine + $25 corkage fee = $40.

A $20 bottle of wine + $25 corkage fee = $45.

How many people are going to bring aboard either of the above to save a couple of dollars? Therefore, Oceania can charge the 2+ to 4 times retail for their wine packages.

If you're only planning on drinking the wine in your state room it doesn't matter if it is inexpensive wine you bring aboard. The corkage policy provides the cruiser a greater quality selection of wines, at a reasonable price of service, but is really only practical for higher end wines.

Two questions,

They will bring it to you in any dining venue probably the bar as well

or deliver it to your cabin if you prefer

If we go out to eat, a steak will cost a lot more than if I buy one at the butcher shop ...the restaurant is going to mark up the meal price same as wine on the cruise lines

If you do not like the prices bring your own wine drink it in your cabin at no extra charge

Edited by LHT28

Pinotlover - I see where you are going with this however the calculations I was using were : a $22.50 bottle of Pinot Noir from Total Wines is one heck of a lot better than a $9 bottle :)

As well, using the math of four times the mark up, that $22.50 bottle plus corking would be equivalent to a $92 bottle on board.

Anyhow, I do appreciate your answer. Thank you.

Pinotlover - I see where you are going with this however the calculations I was using were : a $22.50 bottle of Pinot Noir from Total Wines is one heck of a lot better than a $9 bottle :)

maybe the best option for you is to buy the wine you like at Total Wine & either drink it in the cabin or take a bottle to dinner & pay the corkage fee

Nice thing about Oceania you can take as much as you like to drink in your cabin ;)

It is one of those situations where YMMV

Edited by LHT28

Two questions,

$47 a bottle is pretty good as most even modest restaurants mark up their cost 200 to 400%. and the price includes the 18%.!!!!... Your not buying it as a discount wine store back home.

You can store the wines in your cabin or anywhere However 3 bottles???

No you can bring on board as much as you desire wine beer, liquors as you board and keep on re supplying at every port....You could bring on cases if you so desire to lug them.... O is an adult ship for adults, its not a nickel -dime-pocket mine , like the MassMArket boys...

You can not however consume what you bring outside your cabin, unless, for wine only, you pay the $25 per bottle fee.

Thanks Hawaiidan That pretty well covers it!

This is all new to us so it is good to know.

:)

I hope you enjoy your experience... a comment on the wine sale on the ship.

Consider why they are selling it off? It has been on the ship a long time and getting down to the last few bottles, Ship cellars are not good for any quality wines for very long, Purists will tell you the vibration and constant rolling and agitation of the ship is not good for aged red wine.

I am not a purist but would never bring with me or buy on board any really good high end wine... I stick to whites which are more immune and made to drink young...

So the sale wine is wine they are dumping to make way for a new shipment It may be good or well past its prime.. and it is almost always red not white.

Whatever you choose to do.. Personally I would buy a wine or two in ports along the way, they will at least be better risk...and cheap. and stored better... Remember wine is supposed to be fun, dont take it or yourself too seriously....your on a cruise wine is parsley on the plate.