Bottled water with ultimate drink package

jamiel03

So this is going to be my first cruise with NCL in April and I have the drink package. Not the water package ,the alcohol/soda package. Can anyone tell me why a bottle of water would not be included in this package? Also I can take empty bottles of water on the ship with me and refill them with the water in the buffet or wherever I choose ,is this correct? I will be traveling to Mexico and I like to keep the small bottles of water in my backpack or purse for shore excursions as it will most likely be warm outside.

Thanks.

Julie

Julie,

you would have to ask the folks at NCL why it isnt included, but i suspect people are still paying for the water anyway so why would they include it? Yes you can bring in as many bottles as you want that are empty, and fill them onboard but you wont be able to exit the ship or return to the ship carrying any liquid (sodas water etc. although you can bring alcohol but surrender at the entrance from the ports.,) We bring Tervis cups everywhere around the ship, but please dont fill them up directly from the water fountains in the buffet - that is a common source of cross contamination - but I see you have had many cruises that so you already know that advice - that was for new cruisers :D

Julie,

you would have to ask the folks at NCL why it isnt included, but i suspect people are still paying for the water anyway so why would they include it? Yes you can bring in as many bottles as you want that are empty, and fill them onboard but you wont be able to exit the ship or return to the ship carrying any liquid (sodas water etc. although you can bring alcohol but surrender at the entrance from the ports.,) We bring Tervis cups everywhere around the ship, but please dont fill them up directly from the water fountains in the buffet - that is a common source of cross contamination - but I see you have had many cruises that so you already know that advice - that was for new cruisers :D

I've never had a problem taking water off the ship for an excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were just on the Escape recently and the security person in Miami would not let me take on the empty water bottle I was holding in my hand. I pointed out that it was empty and she said, nope, still not allowed. Had it been in my bag may have been a different story, dunno.

First off was the bottle in question plastic see thru ?

If metal or opaque was the bottle opened shown to be empty ?

Just an ordinary beverage bottle or one that had a filter assembly etc. ?

At this point:

If it were me - I would have asked to have her Supervisor verify that that info

was correct and taken one step further called for a NCL representative.

Maybe a new hire getting and passing unfounded info.

This is not helping disseminating info given here on CC.

If the security crew is giving out incorrect info NCL needs to be aware of it.

Can anyone tell me why a bottle of water would not be included in this package?

It's speculation, but one thing which links all the drinks which you get with the UBP is that they are all for immediate consumption.

For example, you can't get bottles of wine or buckets of beer, and beers are supposed to be opened.

This is actually in line with quite a few other such deals with drinks, for example at theme parks where drinks packages only include fountain soda rather than cans.

A reason for this (whether valid or not) is to make sharing harder. If they allowed bottles of wine or beer buckets on the UBP then there would undoubtedly be people getting these and sharing them with others. The same could be said for water bottles.

We can argue as to how much of an issue this actually is, and whether excluding bottled water is a correct reaction to it, but it's certainly a potential reason for the exclusion.

They could, of course include the bottles but insist they are opened.

This doesn't explain the fact that coffee isn't included. Personally, I find that one is more of a puzzle.

Edited by KeithJenner

It's speculation, but one thing which links all the drinks which you get with the UBP is that they are all for immediate consumption.

For example, you can't get bottles of wine or buckets of beer, and beers are supposed to be opened.

This is actually in line with quite a few other such deals with drinks, for example at theme parks where drinks packages only include fountain soda rather than cans.

A reason for this (whether valid or not) is to make sharing harder. If they allowed bottles of wine or beer buckets on the UBP then there would undoubtedly be people getting these and sharing them with others. The same could be said for water bottles.

We can argue as to how much of an issue this actually is, and whether excluding bottled water is a correct reaction to it, but it's certainly a potential reason for the exclusion.

They could, of course include the bottles but insist they are opened.

This doesn't explain the fact that coffee isn't included. Personally, I find that one is more of a puzzle.

I also find it a puzzle as to why you can get a $15 drink, but you can't get a $5 cappuccino :) We had the beverage plan on the Celebrity Summit - and everything was included (up to a certain dollar amount, but really the same as NCL - the super premium stuff isn't included).

Would you by chance know if they sell smaller bottles of water on the ship or is it just the 1 liter bottles?

There's quite a lot of things you can't get in the ultimate beverage package actually....

But nope no bottled water! No tea/coffee from the atrium and a few other things too.

I've listed it all here: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/09/10/ncls-unlimited-beverage-package/ I hope that helps! Should stop you for having any surprises anyway :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Would you by chance know if they sell smaller bottles of water on the ship or is it just the 1 liter bottles?

I've never bought any water onboard, so I can't say for sure, but I have seen them selling some when in port for people to take off on excursions. I'd guess they are smaller than a litre.

I've never bought any water onboard, so I can't say for sure, but I have seen them selling some when in port for people to take off on excursions. I'd guess they are smaller than a litre.

Thanks. We've got three days on the Gem before our first port, so I guess I will just bring a couple of small empty water bottles.

I don't mind buying a few bottles of water on the ship, I just hate having to deal with the big 1 liter bottles.

I've listed it all here: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/09/10/ncls-unlimited-beverage-package/ I hope that helps! Should stop you for having any surprises anyway :-)

Why would you post yet another shameless plug for your blog when NCL makes it very clear what is included and what isn't?

https://www.ncl.com/terms/ultimate-beverage-package

The problem with linking to your blog is that eventually the information will become stale, while NCL updates the terms when they change. Think of the folks who search and end up at this thread years later, only to click on your blog and trust old information.

Next time, just link to the source. Or if you insist on the shameless plugs for your blog, at the very least post a link to NCL's terms on your blog post.

Edited by triptolemus

Why would you post yet another shameless plug for your blog when NCL makes it very clear what is included and what isn't?

https://www.ncl.com/terms/ultimate-beverage-package

The problem with linking to your blog is that eventually the information will become stale, while NCL updates the terms when they change. Think of the folks who search and end up at this thread years later, only to click on your blog and trust old information.

Next time, just link to the source. Or if you insist on the shameless plugs for your blog, at the very least post a link to NCL's terms on your blog post.

Anybody can google and read the terms. I'm sure I read them before my cruise but I still find it nice to hear opinions from people who have been and who have used it!

Just trying to help :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can someone explain why there is all this angst over a 4 month old thread? This issue has been debated to death on this forum.

But this is cruise critic, its on the internet.

4 months is new. It will take at least another 2 years before some people have posted the same thing the required number of times.

Can someone explain why there is all this angst over a 4 month old thread? This issue has been debated to death on this forum.

Well, There have been dozens and dozens of threads that people post when things...Change.

The water policy is a new change this past year. People are just finding this policy out.

In my personal opinion it's plain dumb but I found a way around the bottled water they

offer as I dislike it and will not drink the water on board, except for a sip if needed.

Were you here when NCL turned the entire cruising world upside down with anytime dining?....People were furious that they wanted main dining to stay the same and had the same table and tablemates every evening.

That worked out well as early diners didn't have to return to the ship early to be on time for dinner (5 ish) after an excursion.

Then NCL changed again with the use of other dining options....Other cruise lines followed NCL.

Tipping was another thread and NCL charged them to your account.

That started because on the last night of the cruise you were supplied with envelopes to tip, and people didn't show up for dinner that last night, thus stiffing waiters.

There were the smoking threads that went on for years and still do to this day.

Changes are why people post.

If you already know and can't or won't help.... then stay OUT/SKIP the thread.