Help , Confuse About Aft Size Balconys

Hello everyone once again , sorry for maybe a silly question but I just got very excited because an AFT JS balcony just opened up and I grabbed it , changed my room 8050 JS to this . I was told by an RCCL agent that they is no difference in size on the ship , ours is the Legend of the Seas . I wanted to double check if she was right so I asked if there is any difference on any ship as far as the balconys go size wise , she said no not really . this can't be true right ? She said they just look bigger in the catalogue . Has anyone ever had an AFT on the Legend of the Seas ?

Hi there, I believe your TA may be wrong.....we had a JS aft balcony on the Vision, sister of the Legend and YES, the balcony is much bigger. I step measured it and it was 15 feet deep and 12 feet wide. It was huge to say the least!!!!

I loved it but it was way to much walking for my DH, so now next cruise we have a hump cabin. :D

I have seen pictures of my aft cabin on the Adventure. I don't know the exact thread but look for posts by Bonnie Voyager to see for yourself. She only cruises in aft balcony cabins and has pictures of most on her page.

I don't look at the distance from the elevators as a hinderance, I look it as a way to keep the calories from building up( on my thighs):eek: , and a quieter room, (no loud passers-by). ;)

According to RCI's computer, the aft balconies aren't any bigger than the side ones that is why the RCI rep told you that. BUT all of us that have sailed in aft balconies will tell you that even though the computer says they aren't bigger, they are.

According to RCI's computer, the aft balconies aren't any bigger than the side ones that is why the RCI rep told you that. BUT all of us that have sailed in aft balconies will tell you that even though the computer says they aren't bigger, they are.
Not only the computers, but RCI customer service will tell you the same thing. As a test, I had my TA call her contacts there and ask about balcony size of 1104 on Radiance (since I had been in it, I knew that it was around 130 sq ft). The answer she got was 41 sq ft. I even had her say to the rep - are you sure, because I've heard that it's much larger. The answer was no, it's 41 sq ft.

Bottom line - believe what you read here not what you're told by RCI

Just back from enchantment in 7666 corner aft JS.

The balcony is great, furniture includes 2 deck chairs, 2 full size loungers and a decent size table for that room service breakfast:)

Friends were in 7672 and had a similar set up although ours was slightly larger being on the corner.... We're now in the aft fan club and never minded the walk to the elevators

Not only the computers, but RCI customer service will tell you the same thing. As a test, I had my TA call her contacts there and ask about balcony size of 1104 on Radiance (since I had been in it, I knew that it was around 130 sq ft). The answer she got was 41 sq ft. I even had her say to the rep - are you sure, because I've heard that it's much larger. The answer was no, it's 41 sq ft.

Reason for bottom line: Information then comes from someone who has ACTUALLY BEEN ON THE SHIP AND IN THAT CABIN.

Most, if not all, the phone-answering drones at RCCL have never left land. They sure as heck aren't experts on the ships. And no one ever bothers to give them correct information so that they at least SOUND like someone who has cruised.

The Reps tell folks that aft balconies are 41 sq ft when they are 200 sq ft (20x10) and fit table & 4 padded chairs, 2 padded rockers, 2 padded loungers. We have plenty of friends up for sight seeing & drinks.

That is why you ask here as many of us have been in the stateroom you got or are inquiring about getting & we will tell you the truth!

Had an corner aft 6688 on Mariner this month.Not a true wrap around,but still a corner.It is a E1 cat room.The balcony was probably at least twice as deep as our other regular D1 balconies..The balcony above ours 7688 was probably another 1/3 larger than ours,as it went all the way out to the port hole...

Hi, We just came off the Vision of the Seas a week ago today, the sister ship to the Legend. Cabin 8092 aft centerline, a Junior Suite, to be specific. The balcony was hugh, I did not measure it - however it was the complete width of the cabin and well over half (if not 3/4's) the length of the cabin - the prior estimate of 200 sqft should be quite accurate. You could easily entertain 20 people there or have a mini football game. It was wonderful.

The Junior Suite is quoted as being 241 sqft with a 64 sqft balcony - the aft balcony size varies based on the position of the cabin across the stern of the ship. The corner cabins have wrap around balconies that are at least 2 to 3 times the size of the ones that are in the center.

The back half is covered by the overhang of the deck above it (providing much needed shade) with the far end (railing end) open. There are 2 chairs, a table and loungers - and still room for a full half court basket ball game.

While the ship is underway there is a slight vibration from the engines. In the mornings there is a bit of ash on the balcony deck from the engine exhaust - nothing to be concerned about - just don't walk out with white socks on. The only negative observation my wife had was that it seemed to be a long walk foward to the stair/elevators. Also, if you use the fitness center (just one deck above, there is a small stair way up from deck 8 on the starboard side that no one really knows about - so that you really do not have to walk all the way foward to the main stairways then up a deck then all the way aft again.

Oh yes, we have pictures if you like.

Mildred's other half.......

We have sailed the "Legend of the Seas" and had an aft balcony. As everyone has stated they are very large. We always get an aft cabin if it is available. You will not be dissapointed, they are also very quite..... The wake at the stern of the ship is mesmerizing.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
We have sailed the "Legend of the Seas" and had an aft balcony. As everyone has stated they are very large. We always get an aft cabin if it is available. You will not be dissapointed, they are also very quite..... The wake at the stern of the ship is mesmerizing.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Can you tell me if they have lounge chairs on the balconies or just regular sitting chairs?

Thanks!

Angelina

Once I had an aft Junior suite on the Rhapsody and I can tell you those balconies are huge! Some people that we met on Cruise Critic went to see our balcony and some of them said: "your balcony is bigger than my inside room!" and it was almost true! Ours had two lounge chairs, two regular tables (not the small drink tables but a round dining plastic table) and 4 chairs and we still had PLENTY of space to move around! Looking forward to my cruise on the Grandeur next April: got another one again!

Since we love to spend time out on our balcony the extra room sounds wonderful but..... what about motion back there? Just from being on the ship it seems like you feel more motion on the ends than the center. :eek: What do you "aft-advocates" think? I am a daily Bonine advocate.:rolleyes:

I guess I need to "borrow" someone's aft balcony and feel for myself??

You do feel more movement on the aft, but not enough to make a difference, IMO. I eat ginger Altoids to keep my stomach settled, and I almost never have a problem with the motion.

We are aftaholics - to me, there's nothing more peaceful than watching the wake, at any time of day or night.

I am sailing in an aft JS Deck 10 on Voyager in two weeks and this thread really helps knowing I'll picked the right cabin!

I've sailed AFT twice on Celebrity, but they weren't balconey's, that's where the 'family' cabins are on the Century class. I did feel some motion, but not so much to get a smaller cabin. The fact I could get a Balconey on RCCL was a huge perk. I'm hoping that the motion will be about the same.....but I am bringing Bonnie just in case.

There were two things I was concerned about when I first booked my aft balcony: motion and vibration. Since you are right above the propellers, I was expecting to feel more vibration than in cabins closer to the front. But there was hardly any difference at all, nothing that will keep you awake or bother you! Same for the motion, you will expect to feel it more on an aft balcony since it is at one of the ends: nah! The only thing is that it is a walk to get to those cabins, but that way you can burn all the food you eat!

And there is a very useful little detail on Vision class ships: even though you get a shower and tub it is still kind of a "small" space. However, right above you is the ShipShape Fitness Center. A lot of time when coming back from the pool, I will go there and take a nice long shower on the huge marble tiled showers they have there and then go to the room through a small staircase they had on the Rhapsody...

Andres

Not a Michigan grad, but born in Detroit before moving on at a young age--yet that is enough to make me a Wolverine fan dating back to the 10-10 tie in '73 (I can still see it, the ball was not wide, the ref was wrong and the score should have been 13-10, and that's why the uprights were made taller the very next year)

The "standard" measurement in each stateroom category is all you'll ever get from RCI, and that's all they gave to my TA. There is plenty of photographic evidence to set you straight here on the boards.

Since we love to spend time out on our balcony the extra room sounds wonderful but..... what about motion back there? Just from being on the ship it seems like you feel more motion on the ends than the center. :eek: What do you "aft-advocates" think? I am a daily Bonine advocate.:rolleyes:

I guess I need to "borrow" someone's aft balcony and feel for myself??

You can come visit ours in March and see. I'm a bonine taker myself and didn't have a problem with my aft balcony on Voyager.

That's our favorite cabin, and that balcony is HUGE. I hadn't measured, but if anyone's saying that Radiance aft balconies are 41 sq ft, they're using a really strange tape measure :D

Jodi

Archived