Amber cove

harpat0408

The pool is free to use, and I think the slides too, but not 100pc sure on the slides. The pool area is quite nice. It is a long walk/pier from ship to the pool area (IMO), since I am a bit mobility impaired. However they do have fellows, who ride bikes with a seat behind it, I think it was called big taxi. See how quick I forget? was only a year ago lol. But for me that was a definite blessing as I would never have been able to walk that pier. No charge for that service, but they rely on tips, and are very friendly. If you are able bodied, then I would say, no more than a 10 min walk from ship to the pool.

Edited by SMSACE6

We are going in April, there are waterslides, a pool and a splash pad all complimentary. All could be walked to or as mentioned you can find easy transportation to take you where you want to go for a tip. There are areas to shop, sit and relax or grab a bite to eat. Looks like a great port. Can't wait to check it out.

Thanks Gram I will check it out.

One thing I am a bit disappointed over is after reading through a bunch of the excursion reviews, it seems as if AC is basically one large time share. I notice in most of the excursions people are commenting that they are being approached by people trying to get them to listen to sales pitches to buy into the island. Even those that are buying the higher end private excursions are getting hit up by time share people, sometimes several of them.

I'm sorry but if I spent $400+ on an excursion for us to go on, the absolute last thing I want is to be approached by even a single salesman trying fast talk me into anything. I don't care if they go away when I say no. I should never be approached in the first place when I'm on a paid excursion. I was going to an all inclusive at one of the hotels for us but after finding out we'd be getting hit up while we are there we'll just stick to the port and go back on the ship if we get approach more than once. I won't spend my day fending off sales pitches.

I figured there was a catch when I saw how nice they were building up the port area with free water slides, pool, cheap zipline etc. There's always a catch lol

One thing I am a bit disappointed over is after reading through a bunch of the excursion reviews, it seems as if AC is basically one large time share. I notice in most of the excursions people are commenting that they are being approached by people trying to get them to listen to sales pitches to buy into the island. Even those that are buying the higher end private excursions are getting hit up by time share people, sometimes several of them.

I'm sorry but if I spent $400+ on an excursion for us to go on, the absolute last thing I want is to be approached by even a single salesman trying fast talk me into anything. I don't care if they go away when I say no. I should never be approached in the first place when I'm on a paid excursion. I was going to an all inclusive at one of the hotels for us but after finding out we'd be getting hit up while we are there we'll just stick to the port and go back on the ship if we get approach more than once. I won't spend my day fending off sales pitches.

I figured there was a catch when I saw how nice they were building up the port area with free water slides, pool, cheap zipline etc. There's always a catch lol

I'm not positive but I don't think the timeshare people are allowed in the cruise port area. I think that is just the excursions at hotels.

I'm not positive but I don't think the timeshare people are allowed in the cruise port area. I think that is just the excursions at hotels.

Yeah I didn't see any remarks about them in the cruise port area so you are probably right. I guess we'll just have to stick to there. Too bad, I was going to do an excursion to check out more of the island. Guess we'll stick in close, looks like there is plenty to do there anyways. It will save us some money so I shouldn't complain.

I was there in April. No timeshares in the pier area. The only thing we were approached for was an umbrella. $8 plus a tip for them putting it up. Everyone working there was uniformed and friendly. There is nothing within walking distance outside the pier pool area. It's a very poor area. There are comments under the port posts about timeshares even at Ocean World.

There are a handful of the usual suspects as well as some unique to the island shops. I'd guess around 20 shops total?

You won't confuse it for St. Thomas or Cozumel, but it's a nice set up that you really don't have to leave the compound if grabbing a bite or a drink and lazing by a pool with a little shopping is your goal.

I was there in April. No timeshares in the pier area. The only thing we were approached for was an umbrella. $8 plus a tip for them putting it up. Everyone working there was uniformed and friendly. There is nothing within walking distance outside the pier pool area. It's a very poor area. There are comments under the port posts about timeshares even at Ocean World.

Ocean World is one of the places we were thinking of checking out it's suppose to be really nice. I did see the reports of salesmen there too though. Too bad there aren't any places beyond the port to get away from them. I could see if you were booking discounted tours but booking a high priced tour with Carnival you'd think would get you a hassle free day other than the typical shop keepers selling their wares, which is part of island life. Not timeshare spiel.

• 4 weeks later...
Being I have not been to the port yet ,but it is currently scheduled for my January trip

I see that there is waterslides and a pool there does anyone know if they are free and how far is the walk from the ship? Just wondering

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here's some photos of the pool area. The first one gives you an idea as to how far the ship is. e8cd2365ae059f2b29fc8944d89b9c84.jpgea31e3b4643e867dedca227d4405963b.jpge7b1d206b62ba2929ec255f9da6b3691.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Cruzlover7

We were in Amber Cove last month. We rented two hillside cabanas, which we loved!The experience was very nice!

The port area is spaced out, clean, filled with things to do. I loved it. The folks working there were all very pleasant and helpful. The slides and pool are both free to use. FYI - the general consensus of everyone that went down the slides is that they go super fast! You end up in a decent sized pool about 4 ft. deep.

There's also the zipline, which is free for anyone in a party that rents a cabana (up to 6 people). I tried it and thought it was fun - not scary at all which was great for this zipline newbie. You can go up and down as many times as you like.

We stayed at the port area the entire day and never once saw any timeshare people trying to sell anything. Nothing of the kind. It's set up almost exactly like Grand Turk. On the way back to the ship we sampled rum and brought several duty free bottles.

The pier is longggg, but you can catch a ride from the rickshaws free of charge. Just give them a tip and say thanks! Yes we caught a ride back and forth! lol.

Any other questions, just ask.

OK, for those who have been to Amber Cove a question.

Are we allowed to take food (I understand you have to BUY it there)/drinks there if I have a beach bag, etc.? If so, does the food have to be prepackaged, etc.?

I suppose you can take food off. I never do anything like that, but technically they aren't checking bags. There's a restaurant (Coco Cana) that serves food all over the pool area and to the cabanas. You can also sit there and eat. The cabanas come with Dominican snacks, also soda and water - enough to accommodate your party size. We did order lunch. For 5 of us we paid $86 between food and drink.

Thanks for the pics it looks gorgeous. There shouldn't be any time share people in port, just outside of the port area. Kids are going to try snorkeling in Coz if they like it, we may still go to Ocean world and just deal with the time share pushers because they have a cool snorkeling pool there. From the looks of the port though there's plenty to do there to keep them entertained.

What excursion is $400?

Be happy that you are not going to the hotels in the Puerto Plata strip, the beach there is ugly: gray Atlantic Ocean, dirty yellow brown sand, made Coney Island look like Paradise.

I made a big mistake to stay there on my 1st land vacation to the DR. Now I've been back to DR many times since, but have stayed in Samana, La Romana, and my favorite, Punta Cana with its aqua blue waters and white sand.

For the poster who compared the pool and shops to Grand Turk, well, yes, but that's where the comparision ends. GT has a long beach just off the pier and Amber Cove has none at the port area. Wouldn't want someone to think they could just go to a beach like GT at AC and then be totally disappointed.

As far as bringing food if you have your own packaged food you are fine. The usual rules apply no food that's not in a closed package. We brought water bottles and bags of our own pretzels to munch on with no issue. You are close enough to walk back to the ship for lunch. The swim up bar was a disappointment because chain smokers were surrounding it. You couldn't get close to it without a face full of smoke. They just camped there for the day.

It was mentioned, if I understood right, that you could get a Cabana, food/drinks for a party of 5 for $89.00, is that correct?

Do the Cabanas comes in different sizes? Do they charge pp that use the Cabana, and if so, how much pp? Also, do they furnish the lounge chair in them along with the pp charge or what?

Glad to read we can bring in packaged snacks.

As for the vendors, do they have a set price, or will they bargain? Just needing to know this "ahead" of time, as I am making all kinds of note. :)

With us having 8 people (I'm sure at least 3 or more will be using the pool - thanks for the NICE pictures that were shown as well), they are expecting ME to get all kinds of answers for them in regard to Amber Cove. :)

It was mentioned, if I understood right, that you could get a Cabana, food/drinks for a party of 5 for $89.00, is that correct?

Do the Cabanas comes in different sizes? Do they charge pp that use the Cabana, and if so, how much pp? Also, do they furnish the lounge chair in them along with the pp charge or what?

Glad to read we can bring in packaged snacks.

As for the vendors, do they have a set price, or will they bargain? Just needing to know this "ahead" of time, as I am making all kinds of note. :)

With us having 8 people (I'm sure at least 3 or more will be using the pool - thanks for the NICE pictures that were shown as well), they are expecting ME to get all kinds of answers for them in regard to Amber Cove. :)

I'm not sure where you saw the $89 for a cabana. I've been there twice (most recently last week) and we've had a poolside cabana both times. Back in March it was $249. Now I believe it's gone up to $295 per cabana for up to 6 guests. That included a few sodas and water and a snack basket of crackers and chips. Also includes floats for the pool and zipline passes. We had 8 in our group. The cabana waitress was strict and counted how many we had in our party and told us we could only have 6. So I went to the cabana check-in hut and asked if we could pay for the extra 2 people. She said it would be $25 per person extra. So I went to get $$ and went back to the hut. When I got there she asked if the extra two wanted to zipline. We told her no and she said don't worry about it. We told her the cabana waitress was giving us a hard time and she said not to worry about it and that she'd talk to her. So we were allowed to have 8 without paying the extra $$. Inside the port there are ocean cabanas (sit out on the water), poolside cabanas, and hillside cabanas. If you want to use the pool the lounges are free and plentiful. Waterslides are free. Umbrellas you have to pay for. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from Amber Cove at the end of September. There are more threads about Amber Cove in the Dominican Republic Ports of call. I just recently did a review of the port and the cabanas there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2412627

Cabanas are $295 for the poolside for up to 6 people. There weren't anybody trying to sell things at the port around the shops. The shopping area wasn't huge. There were about a dozen souvenir shops like there are at most ports selling jewelry, t-shirts and nick-nacks and a coffee shop and a small strip with about a dozen flea market type vendors selling things from carvings to chocolates. There's only 2 restaurants there and they are both called cococana and both have the same menu.

If you want to know more, go to my above thread or other threads in the Dominican Port of Call page or check out my youtube video here:

[YOUTUBE]eM6N10jTRYc[/YOUTUBE]