Vista damages Marina in Italy

sbnuggie

Hello all,

Anyone else seen this video of Vista destroying a small marina in Italy with its propeller wash as the ship was leaving port. The incident occurred this past Sunday as the Carnival Vista was departing Messina, Sicily. Security video shows the wash from the props destroying the marina:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=726_1472759193

Hello all,

Anyone else seen this video of Vista destroying a small marina in Italy with its propeller wash as the ship was leaving port. The incident occurred this past Sunday as the Carnival Vista was departing Messina, Sicily. Security video shows the wash from the props destroying the marina:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=726_1472759193

Thanks for sharing.

Was wondering if the harbor pilot was responsible. Maybe not.

With a very large ship, even going at a very slow speed, such can occur, and has in the past. Often the ship creates a "suction" that can pull things towards it.

One example, and it wasn't shown in the movie. When Titanic set sail on her fateful voyage, while moving slow departing Southampton, she passed the smaller liner "City of New York", which was tied to the pier. Even at "only" 45,000 tons, Titanic sucked the New York toward her, and the ship snapped her mooring lines. Quick action by Captain Smith and the tugs prevented a collision.

Here's an actual photo of the incident:

article-1265719-091E0335000005DC-629_468x265.jpg

So until an investigation is complete, do not assume it was "prop wash", or attempt to place blame. As to someone paying, no doubt, but have you ever heard of insurance?

Edited by loubetti

Thought I was going to make it one day without hearing his name. What is he going to do about it? I'm sure he already knows.

Heald does have a position with Carnival and this is a Carnival forum. Your only option of not reading his name in a Carnival forum would be not to read here ;) But I was wondering if he had mention it on his page.

With a very large ship, even going at a very slow speed, such can occur, and has in the past. Often the ship creates a "suction" that can pull things towards it.

One example, and it wasn't shown in the movie. When Titanic set sail on her fateful voyage, while moving slow departing Southampton, she passed the smaller liner "City of New York", which was tied to the pier. Even at "only" 45,000 tons, Titanic sucked the New York toward her, and the ship snapped her mooring lines. Quick action by Captain Smith and the tugs prevented a collision.

Here's an actual photo of the incident:

article-1265719-091E0335000005DC-629_468x265.jpg

So until an investigation is complete, do not assume it was "prop wash", or attempt to place blame. As to someone paying, no doubt, but have you ever heard of insurance?

A great place to see this is Port Everglades inlet. The water gets sucked off this little beach so far, you can run out about 100 yards. It's a blast watching it. I've thought about going over there when Oasis leaves to play in the water myself.

In this picture, you can see the waterline near the rocks and just how much gets sucked right out by the ship. A good 100 yards or so. The actual beach area is in the top left.... but look where all the people are standing!

20160709_165425.jpg

Can somebody say "Oops!"? Wonder if this is why Carnival raised the FTTF prices?

No, but I'm sure they're glad they're only servicing the rooms once a day and they eliminated the chocolates--that's called foresight!!!:D:D:D