What happens if you're sick?

klizzyboo

ive been sick since last Sunday. Just a ratty ol sinus infection. I went to the doctor Monday and have been on antibiotics since then. I look and sound awful but don't actually feel that bad. I have a super weak immune system due to my medicine so it takes me longer to get over things. Should I try to get a note from my doctor? Will that help? There is no way I am contagious by this point as it has been almost a week with antibiotics. I am supposed to leave tomorrow.

One of the questions on the health screening form is have you had a fever PLUS cough, runny nose or sore throat in the last 21 days. You can actually and truthfully answer no to that looks like to me. Their biggest concern is flu and noro. If you just had a sinus infection, you never were contagious :) I actually think you will be fine.

Edited by ryano

Just for grins, I would ask your doctor for a note specifying you are not contagious now and was not contagious before. Whoever analyzes those health forms may not be medically qualified to make a determination of your fitness to board and that doctor's note would be your ticket!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just for grins, I would ask your doctor for a note specifying you are not contagious now and was not contagious before. Whoever analyzes those health forms may not be medically qualified to make a determination of your fitness to board and that doctor's note would be your ticket!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm sure no one analyzes those forms. They don't even look at them when collected. They just ask for the form, set it aside and then proceed to check you in.

I understand your concerns OP. My husband has allergies. The terminal is always full if interesting new triggers. Different colognes and perfumes often set off a volley of sneezes that would lead most people to believe he is in the middle of a nasty cold.

It has even happened as we were checking in. The lady looked at him with a puzzled look and he simply said, "I am allergic to standing in line" She laughed and asked "do you have a fever?" Upon his negative reply she handed us our cards and said "have a great cruise."

I'm sure no one analyzes those forms. They don't even look at them when collected. They just ask for the form, set it aside and then proceed to check you in.

^Exactly what I was thinking.

I would wager one of my thumbs you could indicate you have leprosy and you'd be on board w/o a second glance at the form.

When my girlfriend (now wife) and I went on our second cruise in 2012, she did have a little bit of a cold, and the person in Baltimore who guides you to check-in desks did actually look at the form, so she made us wait in a little sitting area for a nurse to come off the ship. The nurse just asked her a couple questions about how she's feeling, and since nothing was too severe she let us check in. I would think if you talk to someone and make it clear that nothing is contagious, you should be good to go.

I appreciate that you are on antibiotics. Did the doctor actually take a culture? I have had horrible sinus infections in the past that dragged on and on despite multiple prescriptions for various antibiotics. It turned out they were not bacterial. One was fungal and the one that was viral, which I caught on a cruise, lasted 8 weeks and left me with no sense of smell or taste. Try some oil of oregano. It cleared up the sinus infections that the antibiotics did't touch.

Last year I had bronchitis. Nasty cough, but no fever, and had been on antibiotics for couple days. Other than being extremely fatigued... I was fine, and no problems boarding. Spent A LOT of time resting, napping and spending quality time alone on my balcony while DH was out and about. Felt much better after couple days having the time to rest and relax. I think the cruise was my magic elixir to cure!!

ive been sick since last Sunday. Just a ratty ol sinus infection. I went to the doctor Monday and have been on antibiotics since then. I look and sound awful but don't actually feel that bad. I have a super weak immune system due to my medicine so it takes me longer to get over things. Should I try to get a note from my doctor? Will that help? There is no way I am contagious by this point as it has been almost a week with antibiotics. I am supposed to leave tomorrow.

Do you have travel insurance that will cover you if you cannot travel? Remember the cruise line will not give your money back.

For our first cruise I had been sick about 10 days before and taken a round of antibiotics for it. I felt loads better but answered honestly on the form. I was taken aside and had to wait for a Doctor (nurse?) to come from the ship to see me. It must have been unusual as the person doing our check in had to ask a more senior staff what to do with us.

I was asked a few questions, my temperature was taken and we were back to the check-in.

If you plan on being honest on the form, I'd get a note just in case.

My last couple of Carnival cruises, I had to ask the person checking me in if they wanted that form since they failed to even ask for it. Since the Ebola scare has subsided, it doesn't seem to be as big a deal.

They were doing intestinal checks before the Ebola scare. Noro is much more prevalent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

They were doing intestinal checks before the Ebola scare. Noro is much more prevalent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

And if you are honest and put down that you have all the noro symptoms, they'll quarantine you to your cabin for a few days or possibly not allowed to board. May want to be careful what you point out to TPTB.

Youv'e heard the old adage less is more? Don't put out "TMI." Do you use a Netti Pot? If not consider using one. You can buy them cheap and take in your carry on. Do a search on it. I believe it may be spelled Neti Pot. It will explain what's involved. Make sure you take plenty of Advil, Eccedrin or whatever your go to headache/sinus OTC is besides your anti-biotic. Carnival or for that matter most cruise lines will hose (high charges) for bandages, Asprin etc. Only thing they have gratis is anti-sea sick pills.:cool:

I understand CCL's concern, however until they decide to refund all of my money including airfare, I'm going on the cruise. A cold and fever is not a sufficient reason for insurance reimbursement. We generally spend 4-5K for a weeks cruise.

Don't tell them because you will not board.