(another) Alcohol policy question-

BoisDore

I wonder if they will let me on QM2 in Sydney for the Syd-HK Sector with my 4 litre wine cask (wine box to you) of cheap and nasty Chardonnay? LOL.
Yes. (Actually it's easy to slip a wine box past the inspectors on more stringent lines since they're looking for bottles, but that's for another forum).

Cunard's written policy isn't some recent change, although I agree that it's likely intended to be consistent with the other lines under the Carnival umbrella. What everyone is saying is that in practice Cunard is very lenient regarding carrying on any reasonable quantity in plain view.

Generally for a 12 night cruise I bring 9 or 10 bottles of wine and champagne in a wheeled collapsable tote (the scanners in Brooklyn are tall enough that it fits through upright with the handle telescoped down). Everyone can tell what's in it and no one cares. In time Cunard collects their $20 corkage on the wine (but not on Madame's gin) and everyone is happy.

I've always brought a variety of little liquor and liqueur bottles onboard, never gets confiscated. Cunard doesn't care as long as you're not overdoing it. So drink the wine where you want, the worst that will happen is they'll tell you that you can't, but that's unlikely. Never heard of anyone being thrown in the brig or forced to walk the plank.

We are cruising in the Mediterranean in a weeks time. We fly out to join the ship in Venice so will have to comply with the 23 kgs baggage allowance. Never had to bring wine on from ports of call before but this time we will be looking to buy a bottle or two in France and Italy. Is there no restriction at the gangway when getting back on board. Even with the $20 corkage charge I think we will be drinking better wine than sold on the ship for less money.

Actually I find the 2 litre casks of vino fit better in the cabin fridges, we have some decent wine in the 2 litre casks in OZ. Around AU$12 for 2 litres, good producers, Lindemans, Penfolds, Stanley, Brown Bros, De Bortoli, etc. Our first Cunard cruise on QM2 in March, looking at the wine prices, looks like nothing under US$40. Over the top. On Aurora and Oriana last year, got some drinkable vino for 13 quid a bottle, P&O house brand, Ollies, something like that, Italian.

I have said it before, if the cruise lines reduced their wine prices and beer, spirit price, they would sell more and still make money. Unjustified mark ups in my opinion.

Lubbly Jubbly.

Edited by NSWP

They scan your bags but I have never had anything removed even when bringing several bottles on board. If we are sailing back to Southampton we often buy spirits to take home and wine and beer to drink in our cabin.

Way to go Hattie, there is always a 'Welcome in the Hillside' in ye olde Wales, love it.