Four hours in Ensenada

PrevailingConditions

If you want really good fish tacos (sadly no margaritas, but they said they are working on it) try Sabinas. It is the same owners (with an expanded menu) as the La Guerrerense street cart that has won so many awards and been declared best street cart by many famous chefs (it's been on a lot of tv shows- Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations Baja) It's open until 6:00pm or until food runs out!

it's in pesos

Menu prices are in pesos. Both countries use the $ symbol. USSD$ is sometimes used for American.

Thank you folks. I had no idea the same symbol was used for pesos.

My day is complete. I learned something new and it isn't even noon, yet.

:)

I am not a particularly adventurous guy, but I have walked into Ensenada from the cruise port multiple times. Yes, I definitely stay on the streets where I see plenty of other gringos.

I can't say that the vendors are overly agressive. I find that a courteous "No, thank you" with a big smile works just fine. If I'm able to engage my brain quickly enough, I'll say, "No, gracias." :)

Here's something that I have noticed. Drivers are very courteous to pedestrians. Every time I walked up to an uncontrolled intersection, cross traffic stopped if I gave even the slightest indication that I wanted to cross the street. I would be interested to hear others' opinions on this.

I totally agree. Husband and I always walk into town, generally taking the Esplanade route closest to the water. We once made friends with an owner of a casual restaurant on the water and he made us fish tacos and wonderful margaritas. He was so proud of his little restaurant and we returned there year after year. Unfortunately, he wasn't there this last time. All I can remember was the name Francisco.

Walking into town is not a problem. Yes, there are lots of people and children "begging" but a simple "no gracias" generally works. Just keep walking--move on.

A couple of times we enjoyed mango margaritas at a restaurant/bar on the main street. They were huge, generous, and very tasty. In fact each time we were there we saw the ship's crew there enjoying their free time together. If the crew goes there, it must be good, right? I think it was called "Margaritas". There was an outdoor covered building right on the street and a regular restaurant/bar inside.

Ensenada has never been a favorite stop but we always try to make the best of it and try to help the Mexican economy in a small way. They are only hard working people, trying to make a living. Be kind.

I thought the constant hassle from vendors was really bad in Mexico. That was before I visited Colombia. OMG! The vendors there made the ones in Mexico seem mild and scarce. Cartagena was insane. :eek::eek::eek:

We were so glad we had a tour booked with 6 others from our roll call. The tour guide shielded us from "most" of the vendors.

Ensenada is a scary place for a 'gringo' like me. We almost never get off the ship there any more. It says a lot that they charge you to take the shuttle into town... because if it was free, most people would stay on and come right back!

This being said, my husband decided to take the winery tour last time we were there, and he very much enjoyed it. We live near Napa, so we've been to wineries before, but he felt the $20 price tag for the tour plus lunch plus an included bottle of wine was very reasonable.

Rather than the buses/shuttles, consider Uber in Ensenada. I've been very pleased with ride quality and it's incredibly cheap (so cheap you should consider tipping a few bucks in USD). I usually avail myself of the opportunity to hit Costco (liquor and farmacia) and perhaps a couple of refreshing beverages downtown.

I actually like the vibe in Ensenada. There are more PhDs per capita than any other city in Latin America, I feel completely safe and the weather is more to my taste than Cabo.

Ensenada is probably one of the most Americanized cities in all of Mexico. DH's previous company has a chain of businesses there. That said, things run very differently in Mexico and it's good to be aware and not do stupid touristy things.

L.A. Cetto is my favorite of the wineries, so if you only have time for 1 of them, go there. I usually don't like wine, but their chardonnay is really excellent. ;)

Rather than the buses/shuttles, consider Uber in Ensenada. I've been very pleased with ride quality and it's incredibly cheap (so cheap you should consider tipping a few bucks in USD). I usually avail myself of the opportunity to hit Costco (liquor and farmacia) and perhaps a couple of refreshing beverages downtown.

I actually like the vibe in Ensenada. There are more PhDs per capita than any other city in Latin America, I feel completely safe and the weather is more to my taste than Cabo.

That's pretty interesting. I did not know that. So, that's two things I've learned today. It keeps getting better and better.

Do you know why that is, VG?

About 12 or 13 years ago I was tasting wines at the Aspen Food and Wine Festival. (You get to do the coolest things when you're married to a chef.) I met the winemaker from Chateau Camou (another one near Ensenada) and picked up his business card. He is a Ph. D.

Birrieria La Guadalajara Gets my vote. it's a cruise ship crew favorite, the food and drinks are good and not too expensive and the wifi is free !! We go there every time we are in Ensenada. :D

http://www.birrieriaguadalajara.com/menu.pdf

Thanks for the restaurant tip! Read the menu, read a bunch of reviews. Now we are actually looking forward to doing another cruise that has a stop in Ensenada. :D

Ensenada itself is a "town" of well over half a million people. They see the cruise ships coming and the prices are jacked up substantially. Get away from the tourists, high prices and vendors by doing a cruise line winery tour if they offer a shortened version of it. Get a taste of the 'real' Mexico.

The Guadeloupe Valley is gorgeous and takes about 45 mins. to get there but is well worth the more authentic, normal side of life. http://www.visitmexico.com/en/guadalupe-valley-in-ensenada There are no vendors hawking their wares and no little kids sent out by their parents to earn money. It reminds me very much of the wine region of Southern California. It's definitely worth the visit and some of the wine is surprisingly good!

We were there this past Jan on the way back from Hawaii and several friends did the winery tour. They all thought the wines were not very good.

I am not a particularly adventurous guy, but I have walked into Ensenada from the cruise port multiple times. Yes, I definitely stay on the streets where I see plenty of other gringos.

I can't say that the vendors are overly agressive. I find that a courteous "No, thank you" with a big smile works just fine. If I'm able to engage my brain quickly enough, I'll say, "No, gracias." :)

Here's something that I have noticed. Drivers are very courteous to pedestrians. Every time I walked up to an uncontrolled intersection, cross traffic stopped if I gave even the slightest indication that I wanted to cross the street. I would be interested to hear others' opinions on this.

I would agree with you, drivers seem to be on the Lookout for people who don't know where their going. And they actually STOP. lol

Try to do that in SF, & you will be run over.

I used to think like those who avoided Ensenada in the past., but I think its gotten better. Only saw a few chicklet kids, with their mom.

Other than that, we weren't bothered just walking around town with all the other ship folks.

We will be there in about 10 days, and plan to get off the ship again.