Chichen Itza Excursion

Arkitektra

On the fence for booking the Chichen Itza excursion... reading that it will basically be a 3 hour to and 3 hour return trip on a bus... does anyone have any feedback...pros and cons of this excursion? Its on my bucket list, but worried I will not have enough time to enjoy it...:confused:

I've never been there but I understand it's like going to the museum and looking at exhibits.

I've been to Tulum and it's about the same.

But I've been to the ruins at Coba and and they let you climb on the exhibits in the museum.

I'd go to Coba again.

Do they offer an excursion there? It would be closer than CI.

On the fence for booking the Chichen Itza excursion... reading that it will basically be a 3 hour to and 3 hour return trip on a bus... does anyone have any feedback...pros and cons of this excursion? Its on my bucket list, but worried I will not have enough time to enjoy it...:confused:

From Cozumel? I wouldn't do it. There are some trips there by small airplane from Cozumel (that are expensive) but they cut down on the travel time.

Either that, or I would plan a land trip to a Cancun AI or somewhere closer and schedule it from your hotel.

Me and my wife did this excursion last year. Booked thru Royal Caribbean. Yes the ferry ride was rough. But if you are seated on the 2nd level of the ferry were you can see the horizon it's ok. The 1st level the Windows fog up with sea spray and you can't see out of them. People were getting seas sick on the 1st level. It is a long excursion. Mostly travel to and from. But we enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been there twice. My first time was not that great but the second time it was guided by a State Archaeologist and it was awesome (does anyone say that anymore). Usually you will stop at a water hole or a farm for lunch which was included in my tour. I very much recommend it.

I've never been there but I understand it's like going to the museum and looking at exhibits.

I've been to Tulum and it's about the same.

But I've been to the ruins at Coba and and they let you climb on the exhibits in the museum.

I'd go to Coba again.

Do they offer an excursion there? It would be closer than CI.

I've been to both Tulum and Chichen Itza. They are in no way "about the same". I tell people that comparing Tulum to Chichen Itza is like comparing 7-11 to WALMART; there is no comparison. My wife and I were staying at an all inclusive resort in Riviera Maya and it was a long bus ride to/from Chichen Itza, but well worth it. After you see it, you'll understand why it's a UNESCO World Heritage site and considered one of the new seven wonders of the world. Having said that, I would add a note of caution. We went in April and it was hot, with very little shade. Our tour guide told us that in summer, it is beastly hot as it is far inland, with no cool ocean breeze, or any breeze for that matter.

We went in October and it was hot then too. Well worth the trip, but this is one where I would take the excursion from the ship rather than independently because there is too much travel time and risk for not making it back in time.

I would also recommend waiting for a land vacation to see chichen itza, if there is any likelihood in your traveling future that you will go there, because while it will still be a 6 hour round trip (from cancun), you will have more time to visit the ruins. I wouldn't want to be rushed through them because they are amazing. If you're unlikely to visit Mexico by land, take the excursion on your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I've been but with a tour company when we were staying in Costa Maya. It was great. The guide we had was very informative. We left at 7am and arrived back about 7pm. I agree, you need more time than on a ships tour to see everything. There is no way you can compare Talum to Chichen Itza! I've been to the Great Pyramids and Chichen Itza is close in comparison with all the different buildings and history there.

We went in January and it was warm but not hot. We stopped at a hotel near a Cenote for lunch and some went swimming.

For cruisers I think the best way for Chichen Itza is to find a trip that stops in Progreso and do it from there. The four and five day trips out of Galveston do that often and from November next year you can do it on Vision OTS not just Carnival.

This excursion is perfect for those that want to add a cultural element to a Western Caribbean itinerary. On my 7 night Oasis sailing, where I had flown over from Europe just for the cruise, the excursion provided a great diversion from the 'Sun and Fun' aspects.

The excursion is the first off the ship and due to delays, often the last to board the ship prior to the ship sailing away from Cozumel.

The ferry, walk to and from bus, restroom/shopping stop and snack box and quiet time on the bus along with guide presentation both on and off the bus, provide enough 'stimulation' to make the long day feasible.

I would never return to this region for a land tour and therefore this excursion was an ideal way to add one of the last 'wonders of the world' on my list. The site was absolutely amazing and well worth the travel time. The time at the site was limited but plenty to fully take in the site.

This excursion did seem to have a very high percentage of international travelers and few American passengers on my sailing.

I would never cross again to do any of the other tours on the mainland and while I had a driver booked for my next Cozumel visit after that one to check out the island, Cozumel will most likely be one of those ports where I just stay on the ship if I visit again.

We undertook a tour of mexico and went round many of the Mayan sites. Chichen itza was very impressive but also felt a bit touristy. However Coba blew us away - but we a great guide (same guide at Chichen itza) who described all we saw and what it had been used for. Coba has shade too none at Chichen Itza

Yes a very loooong day. Took ship sponsored tour through another cruise line. Was first off ship and dead last back on. Being a true Floridian I took my "parasol" since it was summer. Loved the excursion, and intend to do it again...walk to bus, to get to ferry, to get to site and reverse process to get back to the ship.

IF you have a strong interest in the Maya/Mezo American civilizations BOOK & Enjoy it. If not so much Talium is also very interesting & closer. There's also a nice Water Park pretty close. Whatever you choose ENJOY! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can't climb, or walk on the ruins at Chichen Itza. We opted to go see Uxmal. A little less expensive, and very enjoyable. We chose this one ovder Uxmal because of the ability to climb to the top and looks at everything from there.. Check it out..