First time cruiser question- Formal night schedule

DreamingOfWater

Hello! The beau and I will be cruising to Alaska (both of us are cruise virgins!) in May on Emerald Princess and while we're on a budget, we also want to treat ourselves just a little. I'd like to make us a reservation at one of the specialty restaurants on a formal night (We have two of them- plenty of time to choose two dresses, right?) since I imagine they fill up fast, but I can't find any information on when our nights will be. When does that usually become known? And can anyone recommend a good one? We're not picky eaters, he hates sushi (he's not perfect, but I love him anyways!)

The general formula for formal nights on Princess is: first sea day + last sea day other than the final night of cruise. If two sea days do not fit into that formula, second formal night may be the port day before the final sea day.

As soon as you board you will be able to see the schedule of formal nights in the Princess Patter. And as your primary motive is to book a specialty restaurant on one not knowing in advance will not put you at any disadvantage, as on Princess you cannot make specialty restaurant reservations before you board in the first place.

But by re-reading your post, it seems you plan on participating in the recommended dress that evening. Far better (IMHO) to go to the MDR on the formal nights and save your visit to the specialty restaurants for another. As the formal dress code is not observed in the specialty restaurants they will be full of "casual refugees" those nights.

Edited by fishywood

The formal night menus in the DR are some of the better ones with shrimp and filet the first night and lobster and beef Wellington the second night. If you were planning on going to a specialty restaurant to avoid dressing up for formal night that is one thing but if you are planning to dress up then I suggest going to a specialty restaurant on a night other than a formal night.

You will have as many as four choices on the Emerald. There are two specialty restaurants, the Crown Grill steak house at $29 and SHARE at $39. The Crown Grill food is very good and we often eat there one night on a cruise. We have not eaten at SHARE, a restaurant concept from "celebrity chef" Curtis Stone. Reviews have been mixed on CC and his food is a very polarizing issue on the Princess board. Another option would be the Crab Shack also at $29 which is offered in a portion of the Horizon Court/Cafe Caribe several nights during the cruise. The forth option would be the Salty Dog Gastropub served in the Wheelhouse Bar nightly. If you are going to have only one special meal, I would recommended the Crown Grill both for the food and the ambiance.

You can check out the menus for the Crown Grill, SHARE and the Salty Dog on the Princess website.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Never first (bags may be delayed) or last (bags need to go out) night.

Normally a sea day, (but not always).

Not two nights in a row.

If it's a Port day, normally one with an early departure.

On two identical itineraries, not always the same days, Capt and/or Head of hotel have a fair bit of flexibility.

However it will be on the Patter (newsletter) first day, so you can check before you book.

Hello! The beau and I will be cruising to Alaska (both of us are cruise virgins!) in May on Emerald Princess and while we're on a budget, we also want to treat ourselves just a little. I'd like to make us a reservation at one of the specialty restaurants on a formal night (We have two of them- plenty of time to choose two dresses, right?) since I imagine they fill up fast, but I can't find any information on when our nights will be. When does that usually become known? And can anyone recommend a good one? We're not picky eaters, he hates sushi (he's not perfect, but I love him anyways!)

Try at least the Crown Grill even on a casual dress. $29pp.

As the other posts suggested, reserve your special dress on formal nights at the MDR.

Thank you everyone! Looks like it'll definitely be Crown Grill on a regular night then.

You're planning on buying 2 "special" dresses for the formal nights? Why not ONE dress that you can accessorize 2 different ways? Saves you money and (more important) packing space.

One thing many first time cruisers do is to pack too much! I talked to a lady while I was on a segment of the world cruise (111 days), she told me she had packed 2 suitcases. :cool: Most world cruisers bring enough luggage to need a moving van to get it to the ship. Think small. Remember, you have to schlepp those suitcases on and off the plane (if flying) and on and off the ship.

I looked up the Emerald’s May Alaska cruises. There are two itineraries, RT Seattle on the 21st and 28th and RT Vancouver on the 13th. If you are booked on the RT Seattle, expect the formal nights will be Monday and Friday the two sea days. If you are on the RT Vancouver, expect the first formal night will be Sunday, the first sea day. The second formal night could be Wednesday or Thursday, even though they are port days. It could also be Tuesday when you depart Glacier Bay at 3pm. It will not be the last evening of the cruise, Friday, even though that is a sea day.

Dress – Formal dress is for the DR’s. Specialty restaurants are smart casual every evening, but you would not feel out of place if you dressed up in the Crown Grill or Share on formal night. Be conservative on the amount of clothing you pack for formal nights. Consider the same outfit with different accessories.

The Main DR’s – The better meals are served on formal nights in the DR’s. So, for dining purposes, it is best to book a specialty restaurant on another evening. Some passengers specifically dine in the specialty restaurants on formal nights to avoid packing formal wear.

Booking the specialty restaurants. When you board there will be a Princess Patter in your cabin. On the front page there will be a list showing which evenings are formal. The Emerald has the Crown Grill, Steak, Seafood, Chops, Steak is the real specialty. Cost is $29/pp. Share, by Curtis Stone. It is a 5 course meal. Main courses include Roast Turbot White Fish Gratine, Butter Poached Lobster, Wild Mushroom Ragu, Twice Cooked Duck, Beef Cheek Pie. Cost is $39/pp. From what I have read on these boards SHARE has mixed reviews. You can also book The Crab Shack @ $29/pp. This is casual dining in a closed off section of the Horizon Ct. Buffet seating area. The Crab Shack is held only on certain evenings. After you board, visit the restaurants to make a reservation. Someone should be there starting around 1:00/1:30pm. You can also call the DINE line after you board.

Hope this information is helpful.

You're planning on buying 2 "special" dresses for the formal nights? Why not ONE dress that you can accessorize 2 different ways? Saves you money and (more important) packing space.

Oh no, I already have them in my closet, I just have very little occaisions to wear them. It's just narrowing down the decision to just two since yeah, I don't want to bring a whole wardrobe. He might want to use some of the closet and drawers too, right?

Edited by DreamingOfWater

Oh no, I already have them in my closet, I just have very little occasions to wear them. It's just narrowing down the decision to just two since yeah, I don't want to bring a whole wardrobe. He might want to use some of the closet and drawers too, right?

There is plenty of space for storage in the cabin. Don't worry about that. But, you will use less clothing than you may first expect. When we first started going on cruises we packed two suitcases and a carry on each for a one week cruise. Now we pack one suitcase and a daypack each for a month or more. You will need space in your suitcase for layered warm clothing as well as rain gear. Be prepared for warm, cold, rain, fog, just about anything. If you are driving to the port then you don't really have issues, but flying, that is another story. Don't forget a sweater or or zippered sweatshirt for evenings on the ship. It can be cool in some venues.

Everyone's giving such awesome advice! I'm probably planning way too far in advance but I really want to have a good idea of what to expect for extras and what's needed.

Planning the cruise is half the fun! (Three days!)

Edited by shredie

Oh no, I already have them in my closet, I just have very little occaisions to wear them. It's just narrowing down the decision to just two since yeah, I don't want to bring a whole wardrobe. He might want to use some of the closet and drawers too, right?

I probably over pack the 'good stuff' but I love the opportunity to dress up nicely every night not just formal nights. I also make sure DH has both black and brown trousers and if the cruise is a long one I make him pack two different jackets. Cruising is an affordable opportunity to dress to the nines and enjoy the romance of fine dining.