HAL ms Koningsdam!

Stoffel1982

Hi all!

I do need some feedback from experts! :-)

We are about to book our 4 th cruise and are considering the Holland America Line. We cruised before with the MSC Divina, Norwegian and sailed on the Celebrity Reflection as well. We consider the Celebrity Reflection as the most upscale cruise we did so far.

How would you compare HAL to Celebrity? The ms Koningsdam looks like a brilliant new ship! What is included with HAL (food, etc) and how about beverage packages?

Thank you for any input!!!

You will find that Koningsdam will be quite similar to Celebrity S class ships. Very similar decor. The overall cruise product is comparable to both lines. Decent food.... Celebrity is, in my opinion, is a step above most other mainstream cruiselines. Service is very good on both. More alike than different. Celebrity's entertainment is better. Livelier evening atmosphere, although things seem to be changing on HAL.

Right now, HAL has the Explore4 promo, which includes the Beverage package. As with Celebrity, this is really not "free" as the base price of the cruise increases with the addition of the promo, but lots of people enjoy having it.

While we've sailed S-Class ships several times, our first boarding of the Koningsdam won't be until November, so I can only comment on what I've read and viewed in photos and videos, of which there are many on YouTube.

The Koningsdam is a slightly smaller vessel and carries 2,650 passengers versus the Reflection's 3,046, but otherwise I think you'll find them quite comparable. Lady Arwen's comments pretty much reflect my own thoughts, and if you've enjoyed sailing on the Reflection, I'm quite sure you'll enjoy the Koningsdam.

There are a number of issues that many seasoned HAL passengers have complained about, such as the lack of Promenade Deck of the style they're accustomed to and the lack of a decent library. Do a search and you'll find several threads dealing with these and similar issues. Personally, I bring my iPad with all my reading material and I don't spend much time on the Promenade Deck, so these aren't negative factors for me. On the other hand, I fully respect the preferences of others, so you'll have to decide for yourself whether of these issues are deal breakers for you.

We more or less alternate between HAL and Celebrity and are happy with both. There are some things we prefer on HAL and other things on Celebrity, but overall they are quite comparable. Depending on pricing and itinerary, I'd recommend that you a least try the Koningsdam to get a flavour of what HAL has to offer.

Thanks for the information!

The ship does look stunning, indeed!

How about breakfast, lunch and dinner? Do they have the free style (flexible) dining option or traditional dining?

When we're on holiday, we enjoy burgers as well... are they included in the price? They look yummie!

Edited by Stoffel1982

How about breakfast, lunch and dinner? Do they have the free style (flexible) dining option or traditional dining?

When we're on holiday, we enjoy burgers as well... are they included in the price? They look yummie!

Holland America has both fixed and open seating options, with fixed seating having two choices for time---early and main.

There are specialty restaurants for an additional charge, with Canaletto (Italian) and Pinnacle (steak house) on all ships. Tamarind (Asian fusion) is on the Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam, and Koningsdam. Koningsdam also has some other choices.

The Dive-In burger barn is included in the fare, and is delicious! You don't need to limit yourself to the burger choices as listed. If the ingredients are there, you can ask to combine them in any arrangement you want. :D

Oh, and do try the fries with cheese sauce (just don't let your cardiologist know. ;))

Thanks for the information!

The ship does look stunning, indeed!

HAL offers the equivalent to Celebrity's Traditional and Select Dining options for the MDR.

Yes, the Dive-In burgers are included and, IMHO, are far yummier than those served at Celebrity's Pool/Mast Grill.

Hi Hi!

Just off Hal's Koningsdam! Everything Lady Arwen states covers it. The lido deck buffet does get very crowded at times... Not enough seating or tables have not been cleared. Other option was to sit outside (a bit of a walk to the munchies). Also, snacks or even water is not available all the time... Well unless u call room service. I mean like 8:45 PM, u wander to the buffet for a piece of fruit... It'll be closed. It'll open again at 10:30 to midnight. 1 station only.

entertainment is weak if you're use to RCCL, NCL type cruises. Usually 1 or 2 options to pick from. A lot of the lounges had nothing going on. Waste of the space. After tea dancing at 4.. We actually requested from the booth to have them continue playing recorded music...otherwise, lounge would be empty until after dinner.

My vacation was great. The ship was very new. I did find that I spent more time in my room watching movies than spending time on the entertainment offered on the ship...

No real complaints... My first on HAL. Just not as fun compared to previous experiences. Will I book HAL again? Yes... If price was right and the port stops. It's not a "fun" ship.

Just off Koningsdam 8/14 to 8/28, this was our first cruise on HAL. We are at Elite level with Celebrity. Chose Cruise on HAL Kdam for the itinerary. We have sailed on Reflection 3 times, Solstice 1 time and Equinox 2 times. In my opinion Soltice class ships are far better than the new Koningsdam. Both bed comfort and soundproofing are superior. Not to mention the smoking policy on Celebrity is tougher on smokers. Passenger flow is much better on Celebrity S class ships. Lido Market is definitely more congested than Horizons on Celebrity S class ships. One more huge advantage of Celebrity S class is the Adult Solarium area and pool, this is Not found on HAL Koningsdam. Hope this helps.

Just off Koningsdam 8/14 to 8/28, this was our first cruise on HAL. We are at Elite level with Celebrity. Chose Cruise on HAL Kdam for the itinerary. We have sailed on Reflection 3 times, Solstice 1 time and Equinox 2 times. In my opinion Soltice class ships are far better than the new Koningsdam. Both bed comfort and soundproofing are superior. Not to mention the smoking policy on Celebrity is tougher on smokers. Passenger flow is much better on Celebrity S class ships. Lido Market is definitely more congested than Horizons on Celebrity S class ships. One more huge advantage of Celebrity S class is the Adult Solarium area and pool, this is Not found on HAL Koningsdam. Hope this helps.

We are also Elite with Celebrity, so clearly we love the product. I will agree that the smoking policy on Celebrity is far superior to HAL. Adult solarium is nice, yes, but I adore HALs Crows Nest/Explorers Lounge. Food slight edge to Celebrity, especially in Aqua class, and service is pretty much equal.

All that being said, HAL does offer some terrific itineraries, some of which you will not find with Celebrity. Also HAL's pricing, for us, is really unbeatable at the moment for most of the cruises we are interested in. For Koningsdam we've booked an oceanview, to eliminate the smoking issue and are booking a retreat cabana, which prohibits smoking. Problem solved. I would sail Celebrity S class, and HAL Signature class and above, as my two top choices.