If you had it to do over, what would you pack?

YoureMoving

What do you use the magnetic hook and bulldog clip for? Sorry if that's a dumb question but I've never cruised on a big boat before.

Not a dumb question. We use the bulldog clip to hang up the fun times and the hook to hang up our S&S cards. Not a necessity but we find it helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My three year old son was hit by a female pickpocket in Disneyland. So they are everywhere! He had done so many chores for that $20 and insisted he keep it in his pocket. I know he was pickpocketed because a mother came up to me and told me a lady snagged $20 from his pocket. She was gone in a flash! We were holding hands and walking along together when this happened. The nerve of some people. That was 15 years ago!

Ouch....and he had earned it....maybe he can design a money belt for kiddos...:o.

Also, younger ladies, bring your favorite brand of feminine supplies -even if you think you won't need them. Traveling can play havoc on cycles.There is usually only one brand available onboard and they are expensive too.

They give them to you free at guest services. I went there to get change for the machines in the restroom. They said they didn't have change and then asked what I needed it for. I told them and the guy returned a second later with a big bag full of feminine supplies for me. I totally wasn't expecting that! LOL

eta: I'm not saying to count on this. Just saying in case of an unexpected emergency... they have 'em at guest services.

Edited by MaiTaiMary

We always are in a balcony stateroom, so we always pack a small set of binoculars with us, and seem to use them quit often. Hope this helps!!

We do that as well, but forgot them last time. Discovered it was even better to use the camera on our phones and zoom in on what we wanted to see. Then we could snap a pic too!

I am wholeheartedly in the camp of bringing OTC meds with you. Not only for price, but timing. What if you need some Benadryl etc in the middle of the night? We also bring plenty of sunscreen and sunburn spray. I'd rather have it when needed than not. The one time I didn't have aloe, the ship we were on didn't have any either so we had to wait til the next port.

We bring an outlet extender thingy and battery operated tea lights for the bathroom at night time. And any trip I have ever gone on and not taken a variety of ziplock bags, I regretted it.

I pack very few things other than ... > SNIP< ...

Laminated cards in the language(s) of the country(s) we will be visiting with my food allergies listed on them. I have them in about a dozen languages so far. When the card is presented, the server takes it very seriously and takes the card to show the chef. That way there is no confusion. I highly recommend them if you have food allergies.

Ducklite, I would dearly love to see those cards, or get a copy of the text you have so far. I have some odd anaphylactic food allergies that are potentially fatal since they close my throat and prevent me from breathing well, and we had significant problems on the cruise we just returned from. Unfortunately, it wasn't in the ports, but on the ship. :( Even with the list they had, and pre-ordering the night before, and the server and the restaurant hostess keeping an eye out, either the kitchen didn't understand, or they just weren't paying attention. I was either served, offered, or actually took a bite of things that contained one or more of my allergens SIX times. Sigh.

minimus.biz has single dose packs of many OTC medications, I have a snack sized plastic bag with a bunch of these in it that I'm certain cost less than having to purchase even one item in the gift shop....

Thank you for the tip about minimus! That might be my new favorite site! I don't need them for cruising, but I make these essentials packs for friends and family to keep in glove box, purse or backpack, and that's a gold mine!:D

I once forgot nail clippers, needed them and had to buy some in Cozumel. I once forgot to put my polo/dress shirts in the suitcase and was screwed.

Oh Greg! Yes! My husband once forgot to pack his pants. ALL of his pants. All he had was the pair of shorts he wore when we boarded. That turned out to be a very expensive cruise for us.:eek:

Listen, I pack "light" when I travel ... EXCEPT when I cruise! I'm not sure why I can't leave stuff home, lol. Also, I ONLY fly Southwest when I cruise ... so I get two bags free.

My must haves: Yes, the Over the door shoe organizer. I love having all my stuff organized in there.

Hangers: I HATE carnivals hangers. HATE HATE HATE. I don't like my clothes all bunched together. I got the "real" Joy Mangano huggable hangers from HSN (not the dollar store knock offs) and I bring about 10. TIP: Did you know you can rearrange the shelves (each shelf is on HINGES!) and take off the rods to remove their awful hangers?

Hanging Closet organizer: I use this for gym clothes, sneakers, socks, underware, etc.

Magnetic hooks (organize all the paper clutter)

Ziplock with a few does of OTC meds.

PREWORKOUT POWDER: I need all the motivation I can get to go to the gym on a cruise lol

Red Bulls: They are crazy expensive so I bring 12 of my own

My down pillow: Never cruise without it.

Shoes: Yup I bring several pairs of sneakers, plus dress shoes, flops and water shoes. I like to coordinate my sneakers with my outfit. I do it for ME and not to impress anyone.

I think packing for a cruise is PERSONAL. One person's "must have" is another person's "leave home." For me, part of the fun is being super organized in a small cabin ... and not having to spent $15 on a bottle of Advil. Since I can check 2 bags with Southwest I don't worry about it.

Again, for Land-Based vacations ... I travel very LIGHT, as in a backback (aka my "personal item") and a rolling carry-on. I went to Asia for 12 days that light. But I just don't like to do it on a cruise. I'm not even sure why, and I have no desire to change my cruise packing style. :)