If you had it to do over, what would you pack?

YoureMoving

Hi everyone!

We're sailing on the Liberty on October 22 (5 day Cozumel and Progresso) and it's been 11 years since our last cruise. We moved from Florida to landlocked Denver, and we have really missed the easy access to cruising! I used to have a list of those "unusual" items that we packed with us, but it's been so long that I have no idea what happened to it. I remember that we used to bring a powerstrip for extra outlet space in the cabin, and small bungee to keep the balcony door open, but I can't remember what else.

What are the "must haves" that you pack to make your cruise experience smoother?

Thanks!

Gina

I have done it over, maybe 40 cruises so far, and except for Mediterranean and Alaska cruises, I pack less and less, not more.

If I were to take half of the items suggested on CC by well meaning folk, I would need more than my sole 21" carry on piece of luggage.

I'm perfectly happy not to pack stuff I won't use or need.

I don't pack any of the extra stuff people say they need. I can't imagine what size of luggage some of these people must take with them. Only thing extra I bring is a tiny fan because the rooms get stuffy now and then and I like the white noise since I sleep with one at home. I personally will not bungee the door open. I don't leave my door open at home with the AC on, won't do it on the ship just because it's someone elses "house". Might even leave the fan at home this time and see how it goes.

Less is more.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but when the door is open doesn't it trigger the ac off? Therefore bungee is fine to leave open? Maybe I'm wrong. Also I believe that that the ac system runs 24/7 throughout the ship regardless of whether or not the door is open. It's just a matter of whether or not the damper opens to your room. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't been on a shop since like 2011

Things to leave home:

Bungee cords

Duct Tape

Over the door shoe organizer

Tools of any kind, including flashlights (your phone has one)

Beach Towels

Power Strips (take a three prong outlet)

Extension cords

Most meds other than prescriptions

Jewelry

Money belts

Highlighters and magnets

Door decorations

Gifts for crew other than cash

Hangers and/or clothes pins

These are just a few of the things that take up space are are not needed.

you surely don't have to worry about using the A/C, it's not like a hotel who pays a utility bill. The ship is completely self contained. Many hotels have a magnet on the balcony door which turns the A/C off, don't think the ship's A/C shuts off.

you surely don't have to worry about using the A/C, it's not like a hotel who pays a utility bill. The ship is completely self contained. Many hotels have a magnet on the balcony door which turns the A/C off, don't think the ship's A/C shuts off.

Most newer ships won't let the ac run if there isn't a keycard in the slot by the door, just like many hotels.

I don't pack any of the extra stuff people say they need. I can't imagine what size of luggage some of these people must take with them. Only thing extra I bring is a tiny fan because the rooms get stuffy now and then and I like the white noise since I sleep with one at home. I personally will not bungee the door open. I don't leave my door open at home with the AC on, won't do it on the ship just because it's someone elses "house". Might even leave the fan at home this time and see how it goes.

Less is more.

They have white noise apps you can use on your smart phone or iPad. Although, that won't help with the stuffiness of the cabin.

I pack very few things other than my clothes and toiletries and a sandwich sized Ziplock with basic OTC meds, Bandaids, Neosporin, etc. Here is the list:

A sheet of labels printed out with the addresses of people I want to send postcards to. Mostly relatives and Godchildren. We usually send one per country to each of them, so have enough labels pre-printed for each card we plan on sending.

A small LED flashlight that clicks on and off and doesn't rely on a button being held or touched every few seconds to stay on. If there is an emergency I do not want to chew through the battery life on my phone to use it as a flashlight when I might need it to make calls.

A Black Sharpie and a Highlighter.

A pad of sticky notes.

A corkscrew

Laminated cards in the language(s) of the country(s) we will be visiting with my food allergies listed on them. I have them in about a dozen languages so far. When the card is presented, the server takes it very seriously and takes the card to show the chef. That way there is no confusion. I highly recommend them if you have food allergies.

A dozen ziplock bags in various sizes.

One of those teeny hotel sewing kits with a half dozen threads and a needle. Also a few safety pins.

An empty plastic hotel laundry bag.

That's it.

Every single one of those items has been needed at some point in my travels, and I can't think of anything I ever needed that wasn't on that list.

after many cruises we now only bring a carryon and backpack and prior to platinum status a roll of quarters for laundry. Is amazing what you can do without...

I'm a minimalist at home and more so on a cruise!

Bring twice as much money and half the "stuff"...

Edited by sgttami

Well I think OP wanted a list...lol..not a minimize it...although it is the way now.

If you wear glasses a repair kit..all items already mentioned you can decide...water shoes for feet if doing alot in ocean and if you are doing pool and ocean a LOT..2 suits so one is dry. Remember to take one bottle of wine and one 12 pack of pop each if you take extra drinks...pop bottles or any other beverage in bottles no longer allowed. They have very cheap bottled water on the ship now. Enough sunscreen and aloe or after sun for trip and burns. Shampoo and conditioner and soap if you need it..they have just shampoo and bodywash on shower wall...everyone's mileage varies on how it works for them. If you only carrey on; on the plane..plan a little quick stop there before cruise or just minimize and simplify. I would need more sunscreen and after sun than all that fits in allowed ziplock bag on carrey on. I am so darn fair and the sun did it too me in 30 minutes on deck on my one Caribbean cruise...even more than Hawaii.

Edited by sjn911

I do bring along travel sizes of OTC meds like antacids, motrin, bonine etc. Never know what you might need and I'm not paying jacked up prices for them on board or seeing a ship Dr. to get them. I also never leave home even on land without latex free bandaids since I'm allergic to latex and it can be hard find the latex free ones. But that all fits in a quart size Ziploc with my RX meds and goes in my carry small carry on.

Well I think OP wanted a list...lol..not a minimize it...although it is the way now.

If you wear glasses a repair kit..all items already mentioned you can decide...water shoes for feet if doing alot in ocean and if you are doing pool and ocean a LOT..2 suits so one is dry. Remember to take one bottle of wine and one 12 pack of pop each if you take extra drinks...pop bottles or any other beverage in bottles no longer allowed. They have very cheap bottled water on the ship now. Enough sunscreen and aloe or after sun for trip and burns. Shampoo and conditioner and soap if you need it..they have just shampoo and bodywash on shower wall...everyone's mileage varies on how it works for them. If you only carrey on; on the plane..plan a little quick stop there before cruise or just minimize and simplify. I would need more sunscreen and after sun than all that fits in allowed ziplock bag on carrey on. I am so darn fair and the sun did it too me in 30 minutes on deck on my one Caribbean cruise...even more than Hawaii.

Glasses repair kit is a good one, I keep one in my make up organizer that I take traveling. I had a screw pop out of my glasses the other day, the one that held my lens in. Luckily I was home so not a big deal. Would have been a pain if it happened on the ship and I didn't have a tiny screwdriver to put it back in or lost the screw and needed another.

Thanks so much for all of the responses so far. I never take more than a backpack and a carry on for 7 days or less, and just mix and match clothes. Good tip about the extension cord vs power strip. I'll make that change. The bungee is essential for us, and though the a/c turns off in the cabin, we use it at night while the ship is underway. There's something about hearing the ocean rushing by that gives us the best sleep we've ever had. Plus, it airs out the room overnight and the underway air is so cool we don't need the air conditioning. I have a shoe bag with a hangar top instead of over the door; do you think that would make the cut? It's nice to have a place to store toiletries in such a small space.

Thanks again!:)

Thanks so much for all of the responses so far. I never take more than a backpack and a carry on for 7 days or less, and just mix and match clothes. Good tip about the extension cord vs power strip. I'll make that change. The bungee is essential for us, and though the a/c turns off in the cabin, we use it at night while the ship is underway. There's something about hearing the ocean rushing by that gives us the best sleep we've ever had. Plus, it airs out the room overnight and the underway air is so cool we don't need the air conditioning. I have a shoe bag with a hangar top instead of over the door; do you think that would make the cut? It's nice to have a place to store toiletries in such a small space.

Thanks again!:)

Do you know it affects the air conditioning in the rooms around you? It does, unless you are on one of the newer ships.