Stroke medication on Riviera?

SeaMystique

Hi all,

I apologize for barging in with a question that's probably been asked and answered many times, but does the Riviera carry the clot-busting medication that stroke victims need within the first 3 hours of an event?

It's been over two years since DH's small stroke, and his neuro declared him completely recovered after two months. Still ... We would like to know.

We're new to Oceania (though not to cruising), and I'd certainly like to take the plunge.

Thank you!

Most cruise lines only carry the basic medications and since clot busting drugs are quite specific, chances are they might not carry it. I have a lot of experience using shipboard medical centers, and the one constant is that they evacuate the serious conditions, and a stroke would definitely fall into that category.

I would be surprised if ships stock tPA. A differential diagnosis needs to be made between ischemic stroke and a hemorrhagic event, not to mention ruling out other possible causes of stroke symptoms. Imaging equipment is needed to differentiate the diagnosis and I doubt ships have this capability.

IMO medically fragile or chronically ill people should not do transoceanic or exotic cruises. Sophisticated medical care is not available in the middle of the ocean.

You probably should talk to your doctor about the risk factors of travel. Air travel is a major risk factor for blood clots and stroke but can be limited by getting up and walking around, taking aspirin or other prescribed medication. What kind of risk are you willing to take? Do you ever leave your husband alone for more than 3 hours? Bad stuff happens near home too.

If you decide to travel, get travel insurance within the 15 day window for pre-existing conditions, take a summary of your and your husband's medical conditions, a supply of all medications for both of you with extra in case your trip is delayed, with generic names, and then enjoy your trip.

Mary

Most cruise lines only carry the basic medications and since clot busting drugs are quite specific, chances are they might not carry it. I have a lot of experience using shipboard medical centers, and the one constant is that they evacuate the serious conditions, and a stroke would definitely fall into that category.

I think that is correct too.tPA has a 3 hour time frame of being effective and it can be effective up to 4 1/2hours for some people ( not diabetics,over 80s and people on anticoagulants). But it is best given and has best effect as soon as possible..If there was any chance myself or my husband were vulnerable to having a stroke,we would not do cruising.

My brother in law felt so unwell,after seeing his gp numerous times he drove to hospital.There at reception, he collapsed and had a massive stroke.tPA was given immediately after scans etc and he is virtually recovered.

Good advice there about air travel.exercising ( legs and breathing exercises)compression socks and hydration are so important...It is easy for some to sleep a whole flight.

Edited by janecambridge