Booking a backup excursion?

Sugaree5335

What are your thoughts on booking more than one excursion and then cancelling one of them?

I have booked my first choice excursion for Cozumel. For very valid reasons, there is a minimum number of people who must sign up for this excursion (12 metre sailing) to make it happen. I've been keeping an eye on the number of available tickets for my cruise and so far it looks like the only two tickets that have been sold have been the ones I bought.

I know that there is a good possibility that the rest of the tickets will sell once final-payment date passes, so I won't do anything but keep an eye on them until then. I also believe that the two RCCL ships that will be in port that day also offer this excursion, so that helps.

A lot of the excursions have limited spots, by booking 2 you may be stopping somebody else from getting the excursion that they really wanted. I would just pick one and hope there is enough people to do it and if not I would look for another only if it was cancelled. But that's just me. I will have a good time no matter what we do , it's a vacation I try to enjoy them if something does not work out we just do another and have fun. Having a good time is why you are there

Are you referring to Carnival excursions? If so, you won't be able to book more than one for the same port. Their system won't allow for it.

With that being said, when I was in Cozumel I had my heart set on doing the Coba ruins excursion. Prior to the cruise, my two tickets were the only ones purchased. I thought for sure it would be cancelled, but more people booked while on the ship, so we proceeded as scheduled.

My point being, not everyone prebooks, so don't use that as an indicator of how many people are interested in the excursion. Just have a backup excursion in mind that you would like to do, and if your first pick gets canceled, book the other one at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12

... Prior to the cruise, my two tickets were the only ones purchased. I thought for sure it would be cancelled, but more people booked while on the ship, so we proceeded as scheduled.

My point being, not everyone prebooks, so don't use that as an indicator of how many people are interested in the excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is a very good point. Many of us on CC pre-plan everything, but there is an amazing number of people who just wing it. Usually excursions completely sell out during the cruise. :)

This is a very good point. Many of us on CC pre-plan everything, but there is an amazing number of people who just wing it. Usually excursions completely sell out during the cruise. :)

Not always!!!! We were on the Fascination last week. DW had found an excursion in St. Martin that she thought was different and would be a lot of fun. I read the reviews, and there were 45 out of 45 very positive reviews. We prebooked it.

On the ship we found out we were the only ones booked on that excursion. As the day of the excursion neared (last day), we monitored it. And no one else ever signed up. We asked about our second choice, and it had ZERO sign ups. Our third choice had 4, not enough. We finally went with a 4th choice that was longer in time and a little more expensive than the ones we had been looking at. We did have a good time on it, but it was a little too long. (And we did speak to a couple we had met on a previous excursion who were 2 of the 4 on the 3rd choice.)

What are your thoughts on booking more than one excursion and then cancelling one of them?

I have booked my first choice excursion for Cozumel. For very valid reasons, there is a minimum number of people who must sign up for this excursion (12 metre sailing) to make it happen. I've been keeping an eye on the number of available tickets for my cruise and so far it looks like the only two tickets that have been sold have been the ones I bought.

I know that there is a good possibility that the rest of the tickets will sell once final-payment date passes, so I won't do anything but keep an eye on them until then. I also believe that the two RCCL ships that will be in port that day also offer this excursion, so that helps.

We took the same excursion (12m America's Cup sailing) in Cozumel and it is fantastic! Our group was half from our Carnival Dream and the other half from the Princess ship docked next to us. So even if your Carnival ship has low participation, the excursion company should fill out the group with passengers from other ships.

I don't think you should go so far as to book a second excursion. I do think you should have a second excursion in mind. Also, have you contacted the company that runs the excursion? Not the cruise line or excursion ticket company, but the actual operator. You can usually find them by looking on TripAdvisor. I do think it is worth finding out if they have others booked, and how far in advance will they cancel the trip.

Good luck

I don't think you should go so far as to book a second excursion. I do think you should have a second excursion in mind. Also, have you contacted the company that runs the excursion? Not the cruise line or excursion ticket company, but the actual operator. You can usually find them by looking on TripAdvisor. I do think it is worth finding out if they have others booked, and how far in advance will they cancel the trip.

Good luck

Duh! I didn't even think about contacting the operator directly. Technically, I think that we could do both excursions, but it would be cutting it really close time-wise (45 minutes between the end of the first and the start of the second). I also think that it would be a little too much activity for our not-as-young-as-we-used-to-be selves.

Booking a second excursion knowing you will cancel one, unless you do so well in advance, denies others to opportunity to book the excursion and results in tours going unfilled (Not good for the tour's bottom line) or, more likely, delaying the tour's beginning until they recruit someone for the unfilled space.

Sent from my iPad using Forums